•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Daystar Quark Combo (the new sct/refractor) model impressions?

equipment solar
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alintolea

alintolea

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hi,

I'm looking into buying the new DayStar Quark Combo Chromo model and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

I had the original model and the 4.2x was a bit much for my setup. They also don't promise any specific bandwidth/uniformity with the new model.

So, anyone has one and can give a quick impression? Images?

Thanks!

Alin

• hahied likes this

#2 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

I just switched to a combo Quark from the standard version. I like being able to vary the magnification for my scopes when needed. The standard Quark wasn't bad at all but I needed something with more flexability.

#3 MG877

MG877

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

To Skyward Eyes

I also have an original Quark that I rarely use due to it's lack of flexability . I just finished reading what Daystar says about the Quark combo . From what is stated the etalon still requires the F/15 - F/30 light to function effectively . for compatibility it lists refractors F/14 to F/30 in full aperture  ,  SCT or Mak to be used with off axis ERF , there by stopping down the aperture and giving the etalon  the F ratio solid heated etalons require .  To me this looks like a Quark without the 4.2 X  but you still have to provide the F/14 - F/30 light . In your case you have a couple of nice SCT's  that would be well suited for this Quark . I would be curious to hear how you compare the view through your SM 90 DS to what you see through your 9.25 /Quark combo . I have a 9.25 myself as well as a 90mm ERF that I am not currently using , too bad the barlow is not removable in my Quark ........

Assuming you have tried your combo in your SCT's what size and type of ERF are you using ?

#4 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

The only thing I will state is that if stopping down a SCT to 90 mm you'd be far better off using a refractor to begin with.  The secondary mirror of a SCT acts like a standard barlow lens (unlike a telecentric lens, or telecentric-like powermate barlow) in magnifying the field angles 5 x, and is going to dramatically affect the field contrast uniformity and produce a very narrow on-band region.  Ok for close-ups but don't plan on using it that way for good full-disc performance...

#5 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

I use my refractors for solar. My SCTs are never used for solar. One reason is that I dont need to have a 9.25 or 14 stopped down to 90mm. I have used filters on SCTs and I finder refractors yield a better view over all. I dont have to worry as much about the large tube currents found inside an SCT.

My opinions on the Quark are this. I fully enjoy using any equipment I can get my hands on. Equipment for Lunt, Coronado and Daystar all have their place within the market and all work well. I find however that when we refer to the Quark/Daystar products that they are excellent but are more suited for high resolution work. I use my Combo Quark on my 6" refractor using a 2x barlow for high resolution viewing and imaging. I find it does better on this type of work than my 90DS. However for full disk and wider field use my 90DS is my main scope. Both work well together and compliment one another. 

• Live_Steam_Mad and DaystarJen like this

#6 MG877

MG877

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

Thank you for your detailed reply , I missed the refractor's in your signature and falsely assumed that you were using this with your SCT's

2x in your 6" Esprit hits F/14  and be a great deal more image friendly than the original 4.2X . One more question if I may , are you using a full aperture ERF or is a uv/ir filter sufficient in your opinion ?

Thank you

Mike 

#7 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

I use just the UV/IR on my 6". I spoke with Daystar and they said that's all I needed. I was a little apprehensive but it seems to work.

#8 DaystarJen

DaystarJen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Warrensburg, MO

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:03 AM

Hi guys.  Just a note about the Combo Quark. 

Yes it is more versatile than the Original Quark. 
Those who are capable of manipulating focal ratio will enjoy its flexibility.

There is one bonus / trade-off between the two which everyone may want to contemplate.

Because the blocker on the Combo Quark is bigger, a larger focal length solar image can pass through it.

For example, a 90mm F/6 = 540mm using an Original Quark cannot pass a full disk.
But a 90mm F/6 = 540mm using a 4X powermate, then a Combo Quark will pass a full disk.

The barlow costs more, but one can pass a larger disk with a larger blocker behind the barlow instead of in-front.

However, the Original Quark in side-by-side comparisons will yield slightly higher contrast.
This is due to the optimizations specific to telecentric H alpha of the Quark barlow, the extra intra-lens knife-edge baffles and the nature of pupil vs focal plane light.

We offered the Combo Quark for the slightly advanced observer who can do a little math and compute focal ratios to figure out his best application.
Enjoy!

Clear skies!
Jen

• BYoesle, doctordub, Live_Steam_Mad and 1 other like this

#9 Martin A Cohen

Martin A Cohen

Lift Off

• Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

Hi Jen,

Thank you for that clear explanation. I own several ED refractors, from 70mm f/6 to 127mm f/7.5. I also own a few ED barlows and Powermates.

I am considering buying the Combo Quark, hoping it will allow me to use my Explore Scientific 11mm 82 degree eyepiece for full solar disk viewing.

Is that a realistic expectation? Can I use a 2" IR/UV blocking filter combined with a Baader 610 long pass filter on my diagonal and be 100% safe, also for imaging?

Will there be negative effects if the focal ratio ends up being f/12 instead of f/15? (like the 70mm f/6 with a 2x barlow, yielding an effective focal length of 840mm)

Thanks,

Martin

Edited by Martin A Cohen, 07 February 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#10 Martin A Cohen

Martin A Cohen

Lift Off

• Loc: Santa Monica, CA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

I am very curious if anybody who uses the Combo Quark has been able to make it work with the 82 wide angle eyepieces - if not an 11mm, then perhaps a 14mm or 18mm with good results.

Thanks,

Martin

#11 kornfeld

kornfeld

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

I've been waffling back and forth on getting a quark for a while now.  I had an SM60 external etalon for a while and sold it, and am trying to decide on whether to get back into solar observing or not.

I found this graph for the regular/original quark:

Daystar-FWHM-N.JPG

(And in case that doesn't post correctly:

http://www.astrosurf...star-FWHM-N.JPG

http://i.imgur.com/nyImZgk.jpg )

Is the same graph true for the combo quark? Is the same graph true (more or less) for all etalons of similar design?

I have a 100 mm F/9 refractor I would love to use with a combo quark and a 2x powermate, but if I can get a bump in contrast by going to a shorter focal length, I wouldn't be against it.

Thank you in advance for the help!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics