•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI1600MMC Beta test

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1767 replies to this topic

#226 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

UPDATE: Sam just sent me a new version of the ASCOM driver. It reduced the amp glow. Actually eliminated the one on the left center of the screen.

Just so you guys know, I have tested the camera with USB 2.0 and 3.0 There are different settings for each. The bandwidth needs to be at 45 with 2.0 but 90 with 3.0

Awesome to see updates already! Did he happen to say how that is being done? It's interesting that a driver can remove it instead of hardware.

To be honest I didn't ask how they did it. I'm in contact with them and giving them my input as well as what you guys say. They are very responsive. I'm not going to give names but I was supposed to be testing another camera from a different manufacturer and I backed out of it because of their lack of communication. 

#227 fetoma

fetoma

Gemini

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

UPDATE: Sam just sent me a new version of the ASCOM driver. It reduced the amp glow. Actually eliminated the one on the left center of the screen.

Just so you guys know, I have tested the camera with USB 2.0 and 3.0 There are different settings for each. The bandwidth needs to be at 45 with 2.0 but 90 with 3.0

Awesome to see updates already! Did he happen to say how that is being done? It's interesting that a driver can remove it instead of hardware.

To be honest I didn't ask how they did it. I'm in contact with them and giving them my input as well as what you guys say. They are very responsive. I'm not going to give names but I was supposed to be testing another camera from a different manufacturer and I backed out of it because of their lack of communication. 

QHY mentions a "circuit"? Don't know if he means "firmware" by that.

http://qhyccd.com/bb...hp?topic=5199.0

#228 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

I was looking at my receipt for the ASI1600MM-Cool. I chose not to spend several hundred dollars on shipping (!! O_o), and chose air mail instead. I guess I did not think if it before, however:

Shipping:  Free shipping through air mail (2-3 weeks)

So, assuming that the ASI cameras first START shipping in a couple of weeks here...I guess that means those of us who did not spend the extra money on fast shipping will then not actually receive our cameras until 2-3 additional weeks after that? So I guess I am potentially looking at a 5-6 week lag time here until I actually receive the camera? Does that sound right? 

#229 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

I was looking at my receipt for the ASI1600MM-Cool. I chose not to spend several hundred dollars on shipping (!! O_o), and chose air mail instead. I guess I did not think if it before, however:

Shipping:  Free shipping through air mail (2-3 weeks)

So, assuming that the ASI cameras first START shipping in a couple of weeks here...I guess that means those of us who did not spend the extra money on fast shipping will then not actually receive our cameras until 2-3 additional weeks after that? So I guess I am potentially looking at a 5-6 week lag time here until I actually receive the camera? Does that sound right? 

Last time I ordered a product from ASI,  after paying for it with Paypal and choosing free shipping, I had it in less than two weeks.  

...fwiw

Al

#230 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

Jon,

I was looking at my order.  It is fast free shipping for order above $300.  I also remember that it was 3 days, but I am getting old.  The other option was 2-3 weeks.

#231 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

Given the fact that they just issued firmware that allegedly reduces amp glow, I would not pressure Sam to release that banana before it is ripe.  I am trying not to look at ETA.

#232 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Jon,

I was looking at my order.  It is fast free shipping for order above $300.  I also remember that it was 3 days, but I am getting old.  The other option was 2-3 weeks.

Hmm, your right, it did say Free on orders over $300... I thought I chose that... 

I guess I'll contact them and see if they can verify what shipping option they are going to use.

#233 TimN

TimN

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding how changing an ASCOM driver can effect the amp glow. I notice that some of you are referring to the firmware change. However, Tolga said he got a new ASCOM driver not new firmware. Am I missing something obvious? 

#234 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:04 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding how changing an ASCOM driver can effect the amp glow. I notice that some of you are referring to the firmware change. However, Tolga said he got a new ASCOM driver not new firmware. Am I missing something obvious? 

The only thing I can confirm is that you are right about the ASCOM driver. It was not a new USB driver. 

#235 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:21 PM

The only thing I can confirm is that you are right about the ASCOM driver. It was not a new USB driver. 

I don't know specifically about ASI cameras, but I have cameras from other manufacturers for EAA that updated software/firmware/drivers or whatever and it drastically reduced amp glow and also corrected some other issues like some issues of horizontal banding.   I am not a software engineer, but I would guess its how the signal is read and interpreted from the sensor and then processed.  Software is increasingly the lynchpin factor in getting good data more and more now it seems...

Al

#236 syscore

syscore

Aurora

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

Actually, that is somewhat correct, because on my Atik cameras, I can turn the amp off, which in effect, keeps it off while the image is being recorded, and then turns it on to read it. The advantage is that the amp isn't sitting there "hot" and causing amp glow. The disadvantage is that it takes it longer to startup and read. Obviously, no one would turn it on if they are doing astro photography. So, it possible that Sam did something similar with how the amp is being utilized.

#237 leemr

leemr

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

Jon,

Hmm, your right, it did say Free on orders over $300... I thought I chose that... 

I guess I'll contact them and see if they can verify what shipping option they are going to use.

It's the fast option. I purchased the 174MM with the free shipping option and wondered the same thing. I received it, in Australia, within a couple of days.

#238 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

Jon,

It's the fast option. I purchased the 174MM with the free shipping option and wondered the same thing. I received it, in Australia, within a couple of days.

I sent them an inquiry. Hopefully they will verify soon here.

#239 josh smith

josh smith

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

Tolga, do you have a big dob to throw this on to try some high speed imaging on some small targets? Or maybe one of your bigger scopes?

#240 Goofi

Goofi

Cosmos

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

Josh, I'm curious ... what targets are you thinking of?

#241 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:28 PM

Tolga, do you have a big dob to throw this on to try some high speed imaging on some small targets? Or maybe one of your bigger scopes?

I don't have a big dob. Here's what I have or have access to.

10" RC F/6.3
100 mm vixen F/3.8
C14 F/11
24" RC F/10.4
178 mm AP refractor F/7?

#242 FirstC8

FirstC8

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

I guess we will just have to get by with the 24" then.

#243 Goofi

Goofi

Cosmos

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:01 PM

If you're willing to play with the 10" RC (and potentially image to the south .. I know, NYC), there's LOTR5, a planetary nebula. You can see some details on it here.  Faint, narrowband (Oiii) .. what's not to like!

Personally, I think sticking with M81/M82 makes the most sense.

#244 jspielberg

jspielberg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

I think the c14 at native focal length would be very interesting to see. Edgehd version would have been ideal but classic is good too. I think most folks expect f/11 to be too slow to be useful for dso but it is still a monster aperture, and with the speed of the asi1600... Who knows... Might overcome this shortcoming.

#245 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:14 AM

I am considering ordering  one and i could use my existing set of Baader narrowband filters (36mm unmounted).  I use these filters with my mono cooled Canon 450D so it would be good to compare the two camera images on the same DSO targets. 

Edited by glend, 08 May 2016 - 06:00 AM.

#246 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

I got an email from Sam. These cameras start shipping next week! I didn't expect them so soon...I'm not sure I'll have all my parts in before I get the camera now. :p Anyway, just thought I would let those who may be interested know, they will be ready soon! So if you need to order other parts, you might want to get that done now.

#247 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

groovy, i think i got the spacers set, only thing i need is filters... they can wait a bit

#248 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

I got an email from Sam. These cameras start shipping next week! I didn't expect them so soon...I'm not sure I'll have all my parts in before I get the camera now. :p Anyway, just thought I would let those who may be interested know, they will be ready soon! So if you need to order other parts, you might want to get that done now.

Well, That is great. I am going to hold off on ordering the 1mm atapter, from Precise Parts until I see how the stock adapter works with my XAGYL filter wheel with respect to vignetting. I can't wait to test it out myeslf!

#249 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:22 PM

I can confirm. 

#250 Phil Hosey

Phil Hosey

Vanguard

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:15 AM

I wonder how difficult it will be to get one after they start shipping?  I cancelled my pre-order because I'm still on the fence, but if I like what I see when the reports start coming in I may still get one, but by then they may be back-ordered again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics