•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI1600MMC Beta test

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1767 replies to this topic

#251 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

It is Monday morning USA, east coast.  Shipping this week or next week?  Sunday was part of last week according to my payroll and Tolga and Jon posts say yesterday :grin: .

So shipping this week or next?

Not that I am counting the days...

#252 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

Sam said this week on the ASI Yahoo Group.

#253 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

Ahhhh,

I confirmed via Yahoo Group.  I am also pretty excited about the Astrolive, regularly about $129 being offered for free.  I hopped over to the EAA forum and discovered what they were doing and realized that I have a need for this type of software for outreach.  I always have people asking me to come over to the observatory and view but I am totally CCD and can't do a very good job except for the moon.  This gives me a real opportunity to try to EAA deep sky targets as well as other targets.

Very cool and what a great deal! 

#254 josh smith

josh smith

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: St Petersburg, Florida

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

I'm really excited to see these cameras get in all of your hands!  It's coming soon.  I've begun working on a dual axis eq platform for my new latitude to try mounting the dob and doing some of the lucky imaging.  Hopefully you guys will have all the intricacies all figured out by then :)

#255 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

I wonder how many ordered in advance and how much of a backlog there will be for those who just ordered as late as last weekend. Glad to hear they are starting to ship.

#256 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

I've been trying to decide which camera to go with and some of the CCDs seem like a pretty steep amount to invest for the few clear nights we get here in Michigan.  These cameras, or even the ASI178 cooled are very attractive to me, to get an excellent planetary cam, and potentially good DSO cam in one would be pretty nifty. I'm looking forward to hearing what your results are.

Edited by SteveGR, 09 May 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#257 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

Does anyone know how thick AstroDon 1.25" filters are? I am thinking about simplifying, as it sounds like 2" ADon filters are a few weeks out. I can get everything here this week or early next week if I just go with 1.25". As such, I am considering switching to the thinner Xagyl filter wheel, to minimize vignetting. The specs for the Xagyl allow a maximum of 10mm filter height, with 6mm for the filter thread. I can't seem to find any specs that describe how thick the ADon 1.25" filters are, though...

#258 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

Should be 3mm.

http://www.astrodon....eries-lrgb.html

"3 +/-0.025 mm single 1/4 wave fused silica substrate before coating"

Peter

#259 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:58 AM

Not the thickness of the filter glass itself...the thickness of the whole entire filter mounting.

#260 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

Not the thickness of the filter glass itself...the thickness of the whole entire filter mounting.

I had this problem with the Baaders and never found the answer.  I called the XAGYL and asked if they fit and the answer was yes.  The hope is that they will fit.  I found the same hole in information regarding the dimension of the screw in part of the filter wheel and the balance of the filter housing unit.  Call Dan at XAGYL and hopefully he knows.  It sure would be good to get that detailed out on product cut sheets.

#261 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, this is a detail sadly missing from all mounted filters as far as I can tell. No one lists the thickness of the mounting. I know they are not the same, either. I have some visual filters. Some are a good couple of millimeters thicker than others. 

Edited by Jon Rista, 09 May 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#262 TimN

TimN

Gemini

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:55 PM

When I called the Canadian distributor of XAGYL he gave me the same information that Emilio got - The newer Baaders are ok. I couldn't find the info on my own. I think you will have to call, Jon.

#263 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

I called them earlier. Dan was not available, so I emailed him. He responded with some more detailed specs...but he did not know the thickness of the AstroDon 1.25" mounts either. I'm going to start a new thread asking for that detail from anyone who has those filters. Maybe that will help me decide on the right FW. The Xagyl is 3mm thinner than the EFW2...and since I am imaging at f/4, that might matter. I guess I may just do some mono imaging when I first get the camera, assuming I even have clear skies. :p I did order my filters, though, so I will be doing some measurements here in about a week myself, and I'll share the numbers for anyone else who might be interested in pairing AstroDon filters with a Xagyl FW.

#264 keithlt

keithlt

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona¬©

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

I sure hope the beta testers had good weather this weekend so they can share the much-anticipated deep Sky Images with the asi1600mm

#265 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

I called them earlier. Dan was not available, so I emailed him. He responded with some more detailed specs...but he did not know the thickness of the AstroDon 1.25" mounts either. I'm going to start a new thread asking for that detail from anyone who has those filters. Maybe that will help me decide on the right FW. The Xagyl is 3mm thinner than the EFW2...and since I am imaging at f/4, that might matter. I guess I may just do some mono imaging when I first get the camera, assuming I even have clear skies. :p I did order my filters, though, so I will be doing some measurements here in about a week myself, and I'll share the numbers for anyone else who might be interested in pairing AstroDon filters with a Xagyl FW.

Got some feedback elsewhere on CN that the Xagyl 8 position FW is not that great qualitywise. Starlight Express has a USB 7 position FW that is about $55 more but may be much better in terms of quality.

#266 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

OK gang as promised I went out to my dark site last night to test the new camera. I did not bring my Paramount. I wanted to demonstrate using short exposures with an AVX. I did use a pretty fast refractor. I am so spoiled with using paramounts, it took me forever to polar align. LOL. I shot 125 60 second subs but lost 15 due to tracking errors. I am pretty impressed with the results. 

I know I also promised to make all data available but It is ALOT. Each file is 32 mg. Between the cal frames the folder is 20 gigs. If anyone has an idea how to upload it somewhere, I'll make it available

I only did basic preprocessing (darks,flats) and masked stretch in PI. No noise reduction, 

Camera set to Unity gain

get.jpg

Edited by tolgagumus, 09 May 2016 - 08:44 PM.

#267 josh smith

josh smith

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

Data doesn't look bad at all and thanks so much for sharing.  Something is definitely up with the calibration in this frame.  Probably the flats?

#268 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

Data doesn't look bad at all and thanks so much for sharing.  Something is definitely up with the calibration in this frame.  Probably the flats?

What do you think is wrong? Flats look good. I did not do anything to the image. 

#269 spokeshave

spokeshave

Vanguard

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

Impressive. You even picked up some IFN with only 110 minutes. I don't see anything at all wrong with the calibration. It looks spot-on.

Tim

#270 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

Got some feedback elsewhere on CN that the Xagyl 8 position FW is not that great qualitywise. Starlight Express has a USB 7 position FW that is about $55 more but may be much better in terms of quality.

They have a new version of the wheel coming out in two weeks. The Starlite wheel is also one of the thicker ones at 29mm. If I have to choose another wheel, it will probably be the EFW2, which is 22mm thick. The big thing with the Xagyl is that it is only 19mm thick, and at f/4 with 1.25" filters, that thinness should minimize vignetting.

#271 josh smith

josh smith

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

Data doesn't look bad at all and thanks so much for sharing. Something is definitely up with the calibration in this frame. Probably the flats?

What do you think is wrong? Flats look good. I did not do anything to the image.

There are two giant rings around most of the image and a big dust mote.

#272 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

Data overall does look very good. Sharp, tight round stars. Looking forward to getting mine!

One thing I do notice...two darkish bubbles along the left edge. Easier to see in the small version on the detail page on AstroBin. Are those over-calibrated amp glow?

Edited by Jon Rista, 09 May 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#273 josh smith

josh smith

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

Tolga, I'm happy to take this down if you want, but just showing this to point out the calibration issues.  I don't see structure that matches IFN in pretty much any images as much as a calibration issue.  It looks like a flats issue and that dust mote jumps out plain as day.  

I'm not trying to be a downer at all and very excited to see some good data.  Just would love to see that it can be calibrated out very well too.

26923492675_69dd601c1a_b.jpg

#274 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

No Josh leave it. This image has no post processing at all. All I did is use the script in PI and stretched it. So it's OK. Maybe the flats had a gradient. I didn't spend too much time on them. I am pretty impressed with less than 2 hours of 1 minute subs. 

#275 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

You can clearly see some of the common IFN structure around M81 there. I spent hours processing my attempt to capture the IFN in this region, and I recognize those shapes. You can also see Holmberg IX, which is a very faint object and often missed in images of this region. I'm quite impressed by the depth that 110 minute of exposure was able to achieve here. Certainly better than my 5D III could do. There does appear to be some field structure that may not have been corrected by the flat...but wouldn't that be a scope issue, and not a sensor issue? I don't think the sensor has been cooled enough to present RBI, and I'm not even sure RBI is possible with CMOS. Besides, any radial pattern in a sensor this size would show up as arcs around whatever the center of the wafer was, not a radial pattern centered within the image. 

I think it's a great test. The low read noise really shines. Tolga, I do have one more question. Was this at unity gain? Or another gain setting?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics