•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI1600MMC Beta test

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1767 replies to this topic

#351 TheRock

TheRock

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

After a lot of flip-flopping I went ahead and ordered the ASI1600MC-Cool. I am yet another C11 EdgeHD f/7 guy.

Edited by TheRock, 11 May 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#352 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Messier 5

ASI1600MM-Cool  
CPC 11 --   at F6.5
20s x 5 R+G+B    No Lum    (ZWO LRGB Filters + Nautilus Filter Wheel)
30s x 5  Dark  (yea  but I had taken these earlier)
No Flats
No Bias
Cooler temp -30
Gain 200  (out of 600, unity = 139)

Stacked in DSS.  Only Histogram and RGB Channels aligned in CS2.  Resized in Windows Paint to fit here.  Nothing else done.

Quick picture....   nice colors

Al

Attached Thumbnails

• M5_RGB_resized.jpg

#353 rkayakr

rkayakr

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

Why is there a need for a spacer between the camera and filter wheel? If you take the supplied spacer off the ASI1600 it reveals male T2 threads. My filter wheel has female T2 threads. Wouldn't you just thread the filter wheel on?

#354 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

Why is there a need for a spacer between the camera and filter wheel? If you take the supplied spacer off the ASI1600 it reveals male T2 threads. My filter wheel has female T2 threads. Wouldn't you just thread the filter wheel on?

Which filter wheel do you have? Make sure that the size of the opening is the same.

If not then you need an adapter and the thinnest one possible is the best since it will keep the filter as close to the chip as possible.

Edited by bigeastro, 11 May 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#355 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:36 PM

I ordered the Atik EFW2, which has an M54 thread on the scope side, and a custom dovetail on the camera side that allows the camera to be oriented relative to the FW. I cannot thread the camera directly into the FW. 

#356 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

I ordered the XAGYL and I can get the chip approximately 5 to 7 mm closer if I get a custom adapter. I am going to wait to see if I have any Vignetting. I keep going back and forth on whether to purchase now or wait and see after I take my fist images.

#357 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

I ended up going with the EFW2 because I think it's more solidly built, well regarded, and the V2 Xagyl won't be available for a while anyway. I have heard reports that the V1 might not be the most sturdy. The difference between the two is 3mm...so with a 1mm custom precise parts adapter to the ASI1600, the Xagyl should get 3mm closer. I am imaging at f/4...and that may end up being necessary. If it is, I could still get the Xagyl...but I am thinking it might not be an issue if the reported thickness of AstroDon filters ends up being true. 

#358 CCDer

CCDer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

Ok, I'm jumping on this train. Thanks for the testing Tolga! Just ordered the 1600MC cooled from HP. They said end of May for shipping. I've got a C14 Edge (and now Hyperstar on the way) that needs a camera with A/C for the summer. I was going to have a new 6D filter/cooled modified by Central DS but given that I'm confident about doing the filter mod myself and the price of the 1600 is less than the 6D mods, I've commited. The 1600 is much lighter and non-obstructing on the HS anyway. I've got an idea of also getting the 1600 mono later to add NB and Luminance to the RGB camera's data. This gives RGB with no filter changes but I might obstruct 14% of the light with a manual Orion 4 position filter wheel for the mono version. The NB and L are longest acquisitions anyway so I won't have to take trips too often to the wheel and flats can wait till morning. May have to change my moniker from CCDer. :lol:

Edited by CCDer, 11 May 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#359 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:47 PM

Tolga: I know that you've used the ASCOM drivers, but did your camera come with X2 drivers for SkyX Professional? Any experience with them?

#360 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

Tolga: I know that you've used the ASCOM drivers, but did your camera come with X2 drivers for SkyX Professional? Any experience with them?

Ken,

The X2 driver is available at ZWOs website mac and windows. It needs to be tested more. It was giving me 205 206 errors once in a while so I decided not to mess with it. I am going back and forth between Sam and Richard trying to resolve it. Mac driver may be fine. 

#361 zaubermantel

zaubermantel

Explorer 1

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:52 PM

Ah so 

I ordered the Atik EFW2, which has an M54 thread on the scope side, and a custom dovetail on the camera side that allows the camera to be oriented relative to the FW. I cannot thread the camera directly into the FW. 

I thought I read that the EFW2 came with T thread on the camera side -- does it also come with an adapter that threads onto that? So that if you didn't care about rotating the camera you could just thread the 1600 straight onto the EFW2?

#362 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

I believe the EFW2 comes with a T-thread adapter for both sides. The default camera-side adapter is a MALE T-thread adapter that fits into the dovetail flange on the FW. However, in order to use that, I would need to keep the 11mm thick M42 female adapter for the camera. For use with my Canon EF 600mm lens, I only have 44mm backfocus, and I couldn't fit everything in if I had that 11mm adapter in there. So I need a custom adapter that is at most 4mm thick to adapt the FW to the camera after the 11mm M42 female adapter has been removed (which is necessary to get down to the 6.5mm camera backfocus). 

#363 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

I will need a 36mm filter wheel as i already by have a full set of 36mm unmounted narrowband filters that i would rather not sell. Thinking about the Starlight Express 36mm wheel, but are there other options that might cost less? Not fussed about guiding off the wheel or OAG as i have a great guide scope setup already.

Edited by glend, 11 May 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#364 zaubermantel

zaubermantel

Explorer 1

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

I believe the EFW2 comes with a T-thread adapter for both sides. The default camera-side adapter is a MALE T-thread adapter that fits into the dovetail flange on the FW. However, in order to use that, I would need to keep the 11mm thick M42 female adapter for the camera. For use with my Canon EF 600mm lens, I only have 44mm backfocus, and I couldn't fit everything in if I had that 11mm adapter in there. So I need a custom adapter that is at most 4mm thick to adapt the FW to the camera after the 11mm M42 female adapter has been removed (which is necessary to get down to the 6.5mm camera backfocus). 

Oooooh I see. Thank you, that's helpful. So you have precise parts making you an Atik dovetail -> T thread adapter that's only a few mm thick.

When I put EFW2 and ASO 1600 into their online tool it generates an 11 mm adapter, which is probably just the M42 female adapter that ships with the camera?

#365 tolgagumus

tolgagumus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

You learn something new every day. I chose to use an OAG with my test setup. However I also used different brand filters. The LRGB set was Custom Scientific and Ha was Astrodon. Well when I changed from L to Ha the guide camera was way out of focus. Possible solution is to focus the guide camera between the two filters or do away with the OAG and use guide scope. At 380 mm focal length guide scope should be fine. 😊

#366 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

Starlite Xpress has a 7-pos 36mm filter wheel for less than $500. Not sure what kind of adapters you might need, but it is cheaper than the EFW2 and looks very solid. There are also the Xagyl filter wheels...not sure if they have a 36mm one, though. They would be the cheapest. 

#367 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

Oooooh I see. Thank you, that's helpful. So you have precise parts making you an Atik dovetail -> T thread adapter that's only a few mm thick.

When I put EFW2 and ASO 1600 into their online tool it generates an 11 mm adapter, which is probably just the M42 female adapter that ships with the camera?

Yes. It will be 1mm thick, to get the filters as close to the sensor as possible and minimize vignetting. I need a 3mm spacer to go between the FW and the Canon EOS/EF adapter. I was hoping to use a Blue Fireball for that...but they are currently out of stock. 

#368 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

Jon, will you only use this with the lens?  or do you plan to try it with the RC in your .sig?

#369 pbunn

pbunn

Vanguard

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

EFW2 doesn't come with a T2 adapter but ATIK sells them for about $20.

I had two of them and  just sold  one on CN.

Edited by pbunn, 11 May 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#370 TheRock

TheRock

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Does anyone know the QE difference between the color and mono versions?

#371 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

Jon, will you only use this with the lens?  or do you plan to try it with the RC in your .sig?

I will be using it with the RC as well. The RC is currently configured to connect to my 5D III, so the EOS config I am working up would actually work with that without modification as well. I may get some adapters to go threaded on the RC at some point, but for now, I am just working with the EOS adapter. 

#372 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

Starlite Xpress has a 7-pos 36mm filter wheel for less than $500. Not sure what kind of adapters you might need, but it is cheaper than the EFW2 and looks very solid. There are also the Xagyl filter wheels...not sure if they have a 36mm one, though. They would be the cheapest. 

Thanks Jon. I have also been looking at the QHY CFW2-S which seems even cheaper and I can get it out of Hong Kong (Cyclops) pretty low cost shipping to Aus.  No idea about adaptors and thread matching though. At least with Starlight Express they seem to have all the adaptors available.

#373 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Jon. I have also been looking at the QHY CFW2-S which seems even cheaper and I can get it out of Hong Kong (Cyclops) pretty low cost shipping to Aus.  No idea about adaptors and thread matching though. At least with Starlight Express they seem to have all the adaptors available.

Actually the adapters I need from starlight X press are on back order. So I'll be sitting on a new camera for an unknown length of time. 

#374 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

Actually the adapters I need from starlight X press are on back order. So I'll be sitting on a new camera for an unknown length of time.

Shoot Monochrome! That's right! Monochrome!
It starts with M which stands for "Man" and that rhymes with Dan!

#375 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

I got the ASI1600MC-cool camera today as expected. It also came with the EOS adapter and camera mount ring. I posted a thread with pictures on the Electronically Assisted Astronomy forum. The EOS adapter works great for testing the camera indoors at my desktop.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics