•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sad Sack SCT - Criterion Dynamax 8

catadioptric classic equipment SCT
  • Please log in to reply
916 replies to this topic

#851 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

Fun DSO session with the DX8 tonight -- while the seeing lasted.  Both NWS & AccuWeather were WRONG about the wee hours of this morning; and, both were WRONG about tonight.  After sundown, seeing was an 8/10; by 2130 local, it had degraded to 6/10.  In between, I had a blast! 

In addition to the spectros Big Kellners, this scope really likes the UO HD Orthos.  M42 & M43 @ 100x - magnificent!  6-star Trapezium, and the bubble void around it.  One of the best views I've had of it so far.

I set the scope just north of Betelgeuse, locked the DEC, and spent the rest of the time sweeping at 40x with the KE50.  Figured out it was easier & smoother to use the slow-motion knob rather than pushing the fork arm.  Besides the double stars, I saw some unusual star patterns, including a football about 20' x 8' of faint stars.  Haven't seen that before.

Not gonna repeat my previous Jupiter attempt.  Moisture is creeping south, and the stars are just about gone.  So am I.

• BigC and Terra Nova like this

#852 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

Very similar to my experience witn #7 DX8? Even a scope with mediocre optics can give a worthwhile observing experience, specially at low to medium powers! 

Edited by rolo, 18 March 2017 - 12:38 AM.

• highfnum, Terra Nova and TOM KIEHL like this

#853 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

I also had the Lafayette Galactic Duo-Scope out last night:  ER30 for 30x in the 76mm, and that very nice B&L 25mm WF microscope EP @ 20x in the 40mm.  Both scopes had eye relief > 25mm!  Normally, space is black in both scopes, but with the increasing moisture up high, I saw very dark gray.  Closer to black than the DX8, but the SCT compensates by showing vastly more stars in the same FOV.

• rolo likes this

#854 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

How much cool down do you do?

I notice my dy8 is as bad as a mak 7

maybe worse 

Celestron cool down faster 

#855 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

I put my DX8 in the shed when I plan on using it.  And, our temp drops most nights are gradual.  Haven't had any problems with it adapting.

• highfnum likes this

#856 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

Very similar to my experience witn #7 DX8? Even a scope with mediocre optics can give a worthwhile observing experience, specially at low to medium powers! 

that is so true,  

• tim53 likes this

#857 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

Sometimes we get so caught up in a scope's optics that we miss the point completely...Use it, enjoy it and don't worry about it!

Edited by rolo, 24 March 2017 - 06:47 AM.

• BigC, Terra Nova, BullTerrier and 1 other like this

#858 GreyDay

GreyDay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

Even a scope with mediocre optics can give a worthwhile observing experience, specially at low to medium powers! 

Sounds like my Bird Jones 5" newt, the outer 10% is like a star trek warp :)

I still use it occasionally, usually when i start to think that compact newts are a good idea... soon changes my mind :)

#859 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

I think one can have a good experience with a Dynamax if one observes correctly. The best way to do that is to observe a thread like this and not buy a Dynamax, in which case one will probably have a very good experience. The incorrect way to observe with a Dynamax is to attempt to look through one, in which case the experience one has will likely be very bad indeed.

• sgorton99, Terra Nova, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

#860 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

^ :rofl: ^

• bremms likes this

#861 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

Sometimes we get so caught up in a scope's optics that we miss the point completely...Use it, enjoy it and don't worry about it!

... and, don't pay too much for it.  I hope this thread has preached enough on the MAX anyone should pay for a Dynamax 8.  If you can get a complete rig for $250 or less, it's well worth your money, IF you have no plans to use it as a high-power / planet-killer.  I paid a bit of a premium to get an older all-gray one with the Golden Pyramid.  It's almost as impressive on display as my Questar, so I'm happy with it.

#862 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

I think one can have a good experience with a Dynamax if one observes correctly. The best way to do that is to observe a thread like this and not buy a Dynamax, in which case one will probably have a very good experience. The incorrect way to observe with a Dynamax is to attempt to look through one, in which case the experience one has will likely be very bad indeed.

Man!  That's harsh!  And like lots of humor, there's some truth to it...

Well, I don't like Dobs, and no way I could tote an 8" F7 with a REAL EQ & pedestal around the yard - much less take to dark sites - so I'll stick with the very limited-use DX8.

Still funny, though.

#863 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

... and, don't pay too much for it. I hope this thread has preached enough on the MAX anyone should pay for a Dynamax 8. If you can get a complete rig for $250 or less, it's well worth your money, IF you have no plans to use it as a high-power / planet-killer. I paid a bit of a premium to get an older all-gray one with the Golden Pyramid. It's almost as impressive on display as my Questar, so I'm happy with it.

The one caveat I would tack onto that is that if you are on the increasing side of the ability/money curve, you'll probably progress to wanting a better SCT pretty fast. And used C8s or Meades often show up for just a little bit more money. They also sell a lot better. So, you'd probably be a lot better off just waiting for one of those.
  • Terra Nova likes this

#864 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Agreed! I think $250 is far to generous for one of these unless it is gorgeous and you are working in the prop department for a major Hollywood studio who needs it for their next production. I would say no more than $100- MAX for the Max!

#865 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

I wouldn't recommend a DX8 to a newbie - but I wouldn't recommend a Questar, either.  But $100?  Seriously?  The tripod & wedge are worth more than that.  Okay, here's the straight skinny from an owner:

- All Gray OTA & Mount & Blue Case --> $150-$200 depending on cosmetic condition.

- Blue & Gray OTA & Mount & Footlocker --> $100-$150

- Matching Wedge & Golden Pyramid Tripod --> $150-$200 (these are getting tougher to find)

I paid $300 for a complete Kenko 125C that runs rings around my DX8 - but it's still just a 5" scope, so the DX8 beats it on faint fuzzies.  Yeah, the correctors stink, but it still has an 8" primary.

I do like the prop idea.  Pretty as mine is... I wonder how much rent I could charge?

#866 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

I still Love my DX-6! Oh wait, this isn't the Love thread.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#867 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Sounds like you got one of the really bad ones!

#868 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

I wouldn't recommend a DX8 to a newbie - but I wouldn't recommend a Questar, either.  But $100?  Seriously?  The tripod & wedge are worth more than that.  Okay, here's the straight skinny from an owner:

- All Gray OTA & Mount & Blue Case --> $150-$200 depending on cosmetic condition.

- Blue & Gray OTA & Mount & Footlocker --> $100-$150

- Matching Wedge & Golden Pyramid Tripod --> $150-$200 (these are getting tougher to find)

I paid $300 for a complete Kenko 125C that runs rings around my DX8 - but it's still just a 5" scope, so the DX8 beats it on faint fuzzies.  Yeah, the correctors stink, but it still has an 8" primary.

I do like the prop idea.  Pretty as mine is... I wonder how much rent I could charge?

I wasn't talking about the tripod and wedge, just the DX8 hunkered on it's claws, and caged in the trunk! I think Tom paid $49 for his and it was in lovely shape. For $250 you could get a somewhat serious, working telescope, like a C80, C4.5 or C6 Newt and probably on a Polaris mount, or an RV-6, a 6" Edmund on a GEM, etc., all of which would be infinitely better in my book. 

#869 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

all this conversation over a scope that in just about every case has bad optics.  You think we could be talking about something worthwhilelol.gif

• Terra Nova and bremms like this

#870 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

You're hurting my feelings...not cool.

• Terra Nova likes this

#871 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:08 PM

Sounds like you got one of the really bad ones!

It's pretty bad. It's already annoying at 100x and barely will focus at 200x. And the scatter is really bad, even if you can sort of get a focus out of it. For planets, it sucks - I think I would say that my ST80 and Astroscan are at least equal as planetary telescopes. But, to be fair, I think my ST80 and Astroscan are unusually good.

I would say my recommendation is that a Dynamax is probably worth about $150 or so, if you absolutely positively won't ever get any more money and must buy a telescope for that, and you absolutely positively must have an SCT. If you can get more money, I strongly recommend you save up and just get a Celestron or Meade 8" SCT. If you can't get more money but don't have to get an SCT, get a dob.

#872 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:33 AM

this scope gets a lot of attention over 18000 views on this thread alone

i think it because it came close to being great

then failed

similar to football game where all is lost on last play.

also because rv-6 and dynascope series were very good

then the letdown came

despite that i'm keeping mine and is still usable with limitations on use
  • clamchip, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#873 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

I think because people enjoy bashing bad scopes and have nothing better to do.

• BullTerrier and Bomber Bob like this

#874 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

This is the merrygoround topic. We go over the same thing again and again and again....they blow, they're good, they're ok, they blow, they're good they're ok, over and over again.lol.gif

And when I get # 8'we'll do,it all again!

Edited by rolo, 26 March 2017 - 07:59 AM.

• tim53, highfnum, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#875 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

i think it because it came close to being great

then failed

Exactly.  And we've never forgiven Criterion for it.  I think in part because of the Dynascope - the Dynamax was the opposite of that low cost EQ reflector with decent optics.

• highfnum likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catadioptric, classic, equipment, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics