•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Tri-Bahtinov mask for SCT collimation and focusing

astrophotography imaging SCT
  • Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#451 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:52 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out. Any advantage to the TriB vs a Duncan mask besides the bonus of being able to focus at the same time? 

#452 Broscheanu

Broscheanu

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay

Posted 01 April 2021 - 02:31 PM

I'll buy one for my Edge 11 SCT if your friend wants to print one!

I just don't have the resources [or energy] to hunt down someone local with a 3D printer and go through that trial and error if they aren't familiar with these masks. 

Tri-Bahtinov masks are commercially available at Farpointastro.com and they have one for your C11. I ordered mine there

#453 WB91

WB91

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:30 PM

Does anyone have an windows exe of the TriBahtinov Collimator software they can share?  I cannot seem to find one available online other than source code.     Any help would greatly be appreciated as I am doing some collimation testing tonight.  Thanks!!

Bill

#454 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out. Any advantage to the TriB vs a Duncan mask besides the bonus of being able to focus at the same time? 

I like both the Duncan and the Tri-B but I think the Tri-B is a bit easier to interpret and may allow for a more precise collimation. I can't say for sure because I collimated with a Duncan and it's spot-on with the Tri-B so have not needed to adjust collimation yet.

It's also rare that I have the seeing conditions to really do it right so I'll just have to wait.

#455 rohanpai

rohanpai

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:42 PM

I generated a Tri-B mask using the pattern generator link for my Skywatcher 200PDS and printed it 1:1 scale. The diameter of the printed version is smaller than the OTA.

I gave the following inputs -

FL: 1000mm

Outer dia: 217mm

Internal dia: 34mm

in W:8mm

out W: 8.5mm

What am I missing? I also tried saving the html and opening in Inkspace. Same result! 

#456 Psittacula

Psittacula

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:34 AM

This is the result I just tried. The browser I used is chrome on windows10.

tmbgn.png

And, this is the result measured with Inkscape's ruler tool, and the dimensions seem to be as set.

tbmis.png

It might be possible that the Draw Tri-Bahtinov Mask button was not pressed after setting the parameters.

• cytan299 likes this

#457 rohanpai

rohanpai

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for checking. I will give this a try again now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics