•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Home built Nikon 2x54 widefield binos

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#26 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

I just ordered two of the Nikon TC-E2 converters from ebay

I have ordered from ebay UK just one, I wear glasses and maybe they are virtual useless for me...

Garret

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

I just ordered two of the Nikon TC-E2 converters from ebay

I have ordered from ebay UK just one, I wear glasses and maybe they are virtual useless for me...

Garret

Garret:

I have glasses but they have very little correction so I do not wear them at the eyepiece.  Very rough measurements based on viewing the garage door and how far back I needed to be to view the entire door:

With glasses: 20 degrees 

Without glasses 28 degrees

Comparing my 7x35s that are rated at 10.5 degrees, to the TC-2 with my glasses does seem to just about double the field so I think you will enjoy the view.

Jon

• ArsMachina likes this

#28 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

I've added another version with strap mounts.

nikon_tc-e2_bino_shell_back_strap_mount.

I didn't used any glue. Shell snaps to the converters quite nice and I don't see I need to glue it, but you can of course use some glue to be sure. 

Do you consider you can 3D print them for a fee?

• mkothe, deepwoods1 and JMB like this

#29 grzybu

grzybu

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

I've already gathered some "orders" from local forum members but I charge only for materials and delivery. I don't really want to make more until I finish current batch as it's time consuming task. Prints takes time but the most labor intense task is cleanup after printing as they have supports printed in the hinge.

When I'll finish fist batch I'll consider making some regular offer. 

• Jon Isaacs, Grimnir, tropical and 1 other like this

#30 rushintuit

rushintuit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas City

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

Amazon has a teleconverter for $14.99 and another for $19.99.  If you purchase both you'll have to fork out another $19.00 shipping.

#31 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:19 PM

Pay attention, there are two different versions of coatings, a red one and a green one.

There is no difference in quality but I prefer buying pairs from one source to have matching coatings.

Jochen

• TG and beeboman82 like this

#32 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

I've already gathered some "orders" from local forum members but I charge only for materials and delivery. I don't really want to make more until I finish current batch as it's time consuming task. Prints takes time but the most labor intense task is cleanup after printing as they have supports printed in the hinge.

My lenses are on the way. When you are ready to print some to sell, please let us know !

Thanks for sharing this fascinating idea for a WF bino :)

#33 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

My lenses are on the way. When you are ready to print some to sell, please let us know !

Thanks for sharing this fascinating idea for a WF bino :)

NIkon lenses arrived today. Just hand held, they provide a crystal clear, very bight daylight image, impressively sharp to the edge !

Of course it's raining now, can't wait to get out under the MW with these !

Thanks again for a great idea,

Bob

• ArsMachina likes this

#34 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

My (first) Nikon E2 lens arrived today from Ebay-UK, with my glasses  (-4) the field is still a very generous 22 degree wide with some minor soft edge.

Not yet tested under the stars.

I have already a second lens on order...

Curious, the package has a strange smell, what in the world are they smoking in the United Kingdom?

Garret

Edited by garret, 21 May 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#35 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

Same here: ~22 degrees with glasses, very clear view, nice view of Alcor/Mizar, second one on order :-)

It appears the field is not much bigger without glasses. With the Vixens I lost a lot of FOV, so this looks promising. Now to figure out how to have the holder printed. My first 3D printing experience :-)

#36 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

Great you all like these lenses :-)

For me it is also the first 3D printing experience.

I found an online 3D printing service, uploaded the files provided by grzybu and now waiting for the arrival of the specimen.

The costs for both sides including shipping was $30

BTW. These lenses are not critical for eye placement.

So you can also use them with a smaller IPD than 65mm without bringing the lenses closer together.

I was told by someone having 58mm IPD using them without modifying them.

Jochen

#37 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

A 3d printed Nikon 2x54 lens holder looks very cool, but realize your nose must fit between the 3d printed shells...even if your nose has "normal" size like I have there is very little space left for a shell.

Remember the Great Words of Pythagoras: Measure before you print in 3D :grin:

Garret vd Veen

#38 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

I was told by someone having 58mm IPD using them without modifying them

With my Nikon 2x and my -4 glasses, sharpness goes down the hill if the optical axis of the Nikon 2x lens is not inline with my eyepupil.

Garret

#39 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

Three quik questions folks....

Am I correct in saying that the Nikon TC-E2 Teleconverter has a non-focusing "ocular"?

And if so - is it simply because it would be wasted feature - given such a huge depth of field?

Finally, can anyone share their experience using the larger Nikon TC-E3ED unit as a monocular?

Thanks.

bob

#40 stormbird

stormbird

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Idaho

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

My pair of Nikon TC-E2 lenses arrived. No focus mechanism. To achieve sharpest focus I move them to the correct distance from my eyes. I can hold both lenses up to my eyes, and if I'm steady I can physically merge both images. The spacing fits my ipd just fine. I have a Nikon TC-E3ED on order, as well as a couple of other teleconverters inbound.

Years ago I had a Nikon lens scope converter that I used with various Nikon 35mm film lenses to make a series of monoculars. A few months ago I bought the Canon version of the lens scope converter. I've picked up fixed and zoom FD format lens from ebay and pawn shops for pennies on the dollar. It is shocking as to how inexpensive these wonderful examples of optical excellence sell for.

#41 GlennLeDrew  Happy Birthday!

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

Bob,

Teleconverters are usually set to infinity focus, the lens to which they're attached doing the focusing. For visual use they are rather like 'focus-free' binos. But the latter have their focus set so that to the observer the image appears to be at a viewing distance about similar to that for a book when being read, or 10" to a foot (25-30cm.) This is fine for folks with mild myopia. But an afocal optic whose focus is set such that the image is seen to lie at optical infinity will be perhaps less easily accommodated by a fair number of folks without glasses on.

If glasses are normally required to sharply see distant objects, they will be required when using fixed-focus teleconverters. This is assured by the fact that the 'exit pupil' is at least as large as one's iris.

There are higher power teleconverters which are of the Keplerian configuration, using a positive eyepiece and an erecting prism. But these are inferior to a binocular/monocular designed for visual use.

#42 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

Soooo, I take it that Nikon's TC-E3ED Teleconverter - like its sibling - is of Galilean, not Keplerian design? 

#43 GlennLeDrew  Happy Birthday!

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

At 3X, probably Galilean. For those of, say, 5X enlargement, likely Keplerian.

#44 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

Three quik questions folks....

Am I correct in saying that the Nikon TC-E2 Teleconverter has a non-focusing "ocular"?

And if so - is it simply because it would be wasted feature - given such a huge depth of field?

Finally, can anyone share their experience using the larger Nikon TC-E3ED unit as a monocular?

Thanks.

bob

Bob,

My E3ED arrived today. As a monocular it looks superb, viewing terrestrial today. Of course it is raining again tonite so star test will have to wait.

The reason it is raining is because I finished up my build of the bino version using the 2x54 Nikons. (see below for details)

Spectacular sharp in daytime, dying to try 'em on the MW !

these are camera tele-converter lenses, so no focus. You don't need it. The 2X's are sharp from 2ft to infinity

Cheers

Bob

Edited by Bob4BVM, 21 May 2016 - 11:25 PM.

• zerodur likes this

#45 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:34 PM

OK gang here is my Q&D mockup of a WF MW-Viewer.

Nice to have a tiny, simple ATM project to dive into for a change :)

My IPD measures right at 66mm, so I simply started with 2 pilot holes spaced 66mm and went from there.

Routed a 2-step hole to fit the 2 outermost OD's of the Nikon lens and just pressed them into place when the lacquer dried on the maple.

Here's the damage:

Clear skies!

Bob

PICT6198s.jpg PICT6199s.jpg PICT6201s.jpg PICT6202s.jpg PICT6203s.jpg

• AndreyYa, Astrojensen, deepwoods1 and 9 others like this

#46 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Gemini

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:41 PM

Grzybu - Could you tell us the diameter of the eyepiece cups you use and who you obtained them from?

BrooksObs

#47 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• ****-

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

Last night between the clouds I have seen some stars with just one Nikon 2x convertor. notice I wear glasses (-4 with/  2.5 cylinder).

- for sharp stars the ideal eye position is very critical.

- apparent field approx. is 50 degree, true field maybe as wide as 25 degree (indeed its a 2x binocular).

- center sharpness is very good.

- edge sharpness good, no coma, edge darkening is very pronounced.

- very good against a very bright street-light, the apparent field is free of any flares, beyond this point a ring of light is visible. 

- despite 54 mm lens the gain is only 2x naked eye, that's very, very limited, with one Nikon 2x lens I see as little as both my naked eyes, because this is a Galilean Optic!  

As noted, the aperture is what affords the wide field. For a Galilean the exit pupil is inside, between objective and eyepiece. And so in order to not suffer a very restricted FOV, the objective is made larger in diameter. With such an optical configuration one should get the eye as close to the eyepiece as possible; the FOV gets larger the nearer you can get.

When you look into a Galilean, the field edge is really the unfocused edge of the objective. There is no sharply imaged field stop as is usual in any positive eyepiece employed in the Keplerian optical system. And so a smaller objective for the objective innthe Galilean reduces the field, whereas for the Keplerian it only reduces image brightness.

As you observe, the effective aperture is very much smaller than the objective diameter. The effective aperture for any system can never be larger than the eye's iris diameter multiplied by the magnification. For different parts of the FOV, different parts of the objective contribute. At the field center, the incoming cylinder of light accommodated by the eye enters through the center of the objective. Ever farther off axis, the cylinder of light for that image point meets the objective ever farther from the center. This is just as occurs for a camera lens when stopped down and/or of wide field coverage

Quote by GlennLeDrew

These 2x teleconvertors made into a 2x wide bino is fun for a moment, nothing more,  after 10 minutes you will using your 7x50 binocular again.

Garret, vd Veen, The Netherlands

Edited by garret, 22 May 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#48 grzybu

grzybu

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:34 AM

Grzybu - Could you tell us the diameter of the eyepiece cups you use and who you obtained them from?

BrooksObs

I've took cups from pair of cheap 25mm GSO Plossls so I guess they are pretty generic. They fit so perfect as teleconverters were built to be used with such cups :)

• Fivemileshigh likes this

#49 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

one more touch, added soft-rubber eyecups.

Cut 1" piece from a 26x1.75" bicycle tube, roll one end, stretch over eyepiece.

Many of my 1-1/4" scope EP's wear these as well.

2" EP's take a larger inner tube, but same idea.

Works great if you have any EP's without eyecups !

Free if you have bikes around. Bike shops will give you all the old innertubes you want.PICT6204s.jpg

Bob

• Snaut, JMB, happylimpet and 3 others like this

#50 desert_woodworker

desert_woodworker

Viking 1

• Loc: southern Arizona, USA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

What a beautiful piece of work, Bob.

Kudos!

Now I'm thinking of using Australian Lacewood (Cardwellia sublimis), to match the color of your frame, but to add a very unusual grain (light pith-bodies interspersed with blonde hardwood).  I'm thinking the Cocobolo may look too dark.  Well, maybe make both, and then choose, or switch them on alternate days.

--Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics