•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Home built Nikon 2x54 widefield binos

• Please log in to reply
835 replies to this topic

#551 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

If you want 3x and 65 degrees apparent, this is easily done without prisms, but with an image rotated 180 degrees. Goes deeper, but not as fun being upside down. Then there is the Amici prism that aims at the zenith easily, but they cost $40 each for coated ones (Agena sells uncoated), and the clear aperture is only 18-19mm. You could buy an Abbe-Konig prism, but they are expensive, likely small, and hard to mount.

Alas, the Nikon 2x may be the best we can do for now.

Oh, you can also mount a relay lens and use an Ethos eyepiece, for an upright image and ultrawide view. But then you are talking big.

The Galilean system has less field curvature than the Keplerian.

If $30 per teleconverter is expensive, look at the cost of an eyepiece for a Keplerian. This is still the cheapest way, it seems.

Edited by stargazer193857, 03 October 2016 - 07:12 PM.

#552 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

Learned you can look at solar eclipse between diamond ring/bailey beads to bailey beads/diamond ring with up to 3x binos.

You mean with filters right ? Please say yes...

The experts at Great Lake Star Gaze said no filters required up to 3x during solar eclipse between bailey's beads (including diamond ring).

#553 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

Learned you can look at solar eclipse between diamond ring/bailey beads to bailey beads/diamond ring with up to 3x binos.

The experts at Great Lake Star Gaze said no filters required up to 3x during solar eclipse between bailey's beads (including diamond ring).

They said corona will fill up a third of the sky and can see red prominences at same time naked eye (and up to 3x binoculars)

#554 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

They said corona will fill up a third of the sky and can see red prominences at same time naked eye (and up to 3x binoculars)

Man, i'd never tell anyone they could look at the sun with any kind of unfiltered optic, I don't care what stage it's in. Just on general principle of the issue.  What happens when some kid continues to watch as it comes out of totality ?  That is nuts IMHO.

• jrbarnett, karstenkoch and nuvax like this

#555 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

Man, i'd never tell anyone they could look at the sun with any kind of unfiltered optic, I don't care what stage it's in. Just on general principle of the issue.  What happens when some kid continues to watch as it comes out of totality ?  That is nuts IMHO.

Sounds like "solar roulette" to me. No one goes blind as long as they stay lucky.

#556 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

When I was a kid I used to look at the sun when it rose above the horizon, though it'd help my eyesight!  :shocked:  :shocked: 

#557 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

My friend made a scan of the Nikon 3X-TC, and then pulled in the 2x central pivot, and tie strap CAD from before.  Wish I could paste an image from my thumb drive (but don't know how with URL).  He didn't know how to factor in shrink rate so he made it  a perfect skin tight fit.  I'll try to make them in stereolith and put them together (may require sanding).

Ken

#558 Cometeer

Cometeer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

My friend made a scan of the Nikon 3X-TC, and then pulled in the 2x central pivot, and tie strap CAD from before.  Wish I could paste an image from my thumb drive (but don't know how with URL).  He didn't know how to factor in shrink rate so he made it  a perfect skin tight fit.  I'll try to make them in stereolith and put them together (may require sanding).

Ken

When replying, click on "more reply options". Then you'll be taken to a page where there's an option to "Attach Files". Click choose file, select the image on your thumb drive, then click "Attach This File" to attach it to your reply.

Edited by Cometeer, 08 October 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#559 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

Ken

I have asked ny friend to delete the third tier to accomodate smaller IPD without having to cut/file the inside outer ring, and to move the bino strap loop to the second tier.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3X_With_Lens01.png
  • 3X_Bino01.png

• ArsMachina and Cometeer like this

#560 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

Print it with ABS or PET-G and 150 layer height and it should work just fine. In case of those materials you can sand the shells inside if they will print bit too small and get nice fit. 

Nylon is more expensive and harder to print. 

They agreed to print it for $15  PET-G 150 purple but I have to pick it up, they don't ship.  Ready in 5 days.  Supplier said PET-G was more durable strong and won't crack, compared to ABS.  This is same supplier that would not print in nylon for $24 since part was "too detailed" for his printer.

Picked them up and put them together.  They work great with eyeglasses and the TFOV is slightly less than without glasses (but without glasses it is out of focus with my 0.75-1.0 astigmatism).  Thank you for providing the CAD and where to print.

3D Hubs replied back and says new customers receive $10 off first order at http://3dhubs.refr.cc/CP6QM22 and I believe you get to pick the USA site close to you.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 1 (1).JPG
  • photo 5.JPG

• Cometeer likes this

#561 Cometeer

Cometeer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

Ken

I have asked ny friend to delete the third tier to accomodate smaller IPD without having to cut/file the inside outer ring, and to move the bino strap loop to the second tier.

One thing I recommend is moving the strap holders halfway between the top and side. I find that for me (I have a small IPD), when the binoculars are folded, the strap holders are between the side the bottom. This causes the binoculars to flip over when worn. Moving its location would mean that for those with a small IPD, they strap holders would be at the side of the binoculars when folded.

#562 steffen13

steffen13

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:01 AM

Hello Ken

Have you a file which a 3d printer can process?

MfG Steffen

#563 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hello Ken

MfG Steffen

See post #17

#564 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

Hello Ken

MfG Steffen

See post #17

Yes Post17 is the one for the 2x.

If the 3x one works I will share.

#565 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Just submitted my order for revised Nikon TC-3X stereolith bino holders for about $21 pickup PET-G 150 Yellow.

Should be made by Oct 20th.  If they work fit w/o issue I will share the STL CAD (assumed no shrink rate from the inside surface scan, so it may be tight and require some sanding).

The next two messages are excel files are images of the CAD TC3X bino holders.

Edited by faackanders2, 15 October 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#566 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

Attached File  3xbino_rev2 images - B.xlsx   451.13KB   51 downloads

#567 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

Attached File  3xbino_rev2 images - C.xlsx   232.7KB   41 downloads

#568 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

Here's a great price on a used TC-E3ED...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322292829869 

Someone here should jump on this one.

#569 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Just submitted my order for revised Nikon TC-3X stereolith bino holders for about $21 pickup PET-G 150 Yellow.

Should be made by Oct 20th.  If they work fit w/o issue I will share the STL CAD (assumed no shrink rate from the inside surface scan, so it may be tight and require some sanding).

The next two messages are excel files are images of the CAD TC3X bino holders.

I just finished assembling and they fit the Nikon TC-E3ED 3x teleconverters like a non-tight glove (I would have prefered a tighter snap like the 2x version).  Double sticky tape preferred.  If you wear reading glasses you will need these (not your far distance glasses) since there is no focus.

Unfortunately it is cloudy so I am not able to do any observing tonight (and I would have loved to see the Moon traverse the Hyades and occult Aldebarin yesterday).  I will post images of the hand made 3x binos shortly.

• Cometeer likes this

#570 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:31 PM

photo (18).JPG

Nikon TC-E3ED 3x Handmade Binos

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 1.JPG
  • photo 3.JPG
  • photo 2.JPG

• Cometeer likes this

#571 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:40 PM

More Nikon 3x bino photos

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 1 (6).JPG
  • photo 2 (2).JPG

• Grimnir and Cometeer like this

#572 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:49 PM

Any problems noted with that 3" IPD?

• Grimnir and trener like this

#573 steffen13

steffen13

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:24 AM

Hello Ken

Looks very good.

Please can you provide to us the print file.

MfG Steffen

#574 tropical

tropical

Viking 1

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

My IPD barely fits the 2x54.  This 3x bino sadly won't work for me.

#575 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:02 PM

Any problems noted with that 3" IPD?

Some may have to file down the contact point of the black teleconverter outer ring to achieve smaller IPDs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics