•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Home built Nikon 2x54 widefield binos

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#876 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:15 PM

Sworry I read the whole thread and determined you can’t add a focus mech to this.  What did I miss?  I was thinking I could cut out a section of old glasses and add that to output to focus for me.  Guess contacts would be best but I don’t have any.

On addon lenses:
https://www.cloudyni...dpost&p=7327722
https://www.cloudyni...dpost&p=9204492

I don't believe contacts will work, as they are relying on the eyeball curvature to maintain correct shape and location relative to the pupil.

A bit on focusing (search around these posts for more):
https://www.cloudyni...dpost&p=9123833
https://www.cloudyni...dpost&p=7211847

True focusing can be adjusted if you are good and patient with tools. "Proficiency" not required though, hand tools would do just fine, as soon as your eyesight is close enough to normal, e.g. a (-2) myopia). Just carve both lenses' wells or add shims to them. If it worse you need a focuser mechanism. For that you can cut the casing (e.g. right in the middle) and and grind halves to make it shorter or add a spacer to make it longer after gluing all together (or you can add a threaded piece, or three extension bolts, or three setscrews, or guiding plank(s),  etc). That's all. Nothing impossible just plenty of labor.

Edited by halx, 03 August 2020 - 12:39 PM.

#877 kecked

kecked

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:46 PM

Well I got them completed and I love them.  I use them with my glasses for now.  These DESTROY the vixen ones.  I can see deeper and clearer with less distortion.  Now to try the 3x version.

I saw a shooting star in these.  Could make out the green color and a little smoke.

• silv likes this

#878 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:59 PM

3x version... not unless you got an IPD like a hammer head sharp or you like grinding glass....

Peter

#879 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:03 PM

Spent the past week in deep SE Oregon at my favorite site, Bortle-1 the whole time.

This was the first time i remembered to pack my 2x54's along.

When there i usually spend alot of time just naked-eye because it is so spectacular with the MW almost reaching horizon to horizon in width.

So this was the first time i have used these 28* binocs in those conditions...  I wish i had words to describe the experience...  it was like literally plunging into the MW galaxy, detail in bright regions and dark dust lanes were as 3-D , a flaming tangle of stars, nebulae, and dust.  Thats the best i can do so i'll have to leave it at that. 

BTW i was on the mountain for 3 nights, The 1st night was spent 100% on my back with the 2x54s, didnt even set up the scope.

CS

Bob

• Mr. Bill, EverlastingSky, bumm and 2 others like this

#880 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like you had an "out of body" experience.....had a few of those myself in Bortle 1/2 skies over the last few years.

blush.gif

#881 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:57 AM

Hi Bill !

Yes, i guess you could call it that, one of those nights that just stays in your soul for a long while..

It's a 6 hour drive for me, but worth the trip. I need to do it more often.

You are probably closer to the area than me, how far NE are you in Calif ?  Some pretty nice sky down there around the east side of the CA/OR border.

Hope all is well with you.
CS

Bob

#882 C.Hay

C.Hay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:19 PM

3x version... not unless you got an IPD like a hammer head sharp or you like grinding glass....

Peter

Go ahead, grind the glass if you can. Jochen, who I think is the OP of this thread, gave me his 3x unit and I love it. It has a narrow AFOV at about 14° true field of view, but that whole field is completely usable and sharp from edge to edge, and star colours are vibrant in a way I haven't seen in the numerous opera glasses that I've tested.

I've appraised the gain in limiting magnitide compared to naked-eye and the 2x unit under a 5m1 NELM sky. Under that sky, the 2x unit gets me to 6m4, so gives me 1m3 gain over naked eye. The 3x gets me to 7m5, thus 2m4 gain over naked eye. For individual stars (e.g. gauging the brightness of bright variables) and for star fields this is like moving from my suburban site to the high mountains, but without the day-long drive.

The gain in separation of double stars is remarkable. I've been able to split 16 Cyg (6m0 6m2; 39.9'') with the 3x unit, something I wouldn't have thought my acuity allowed. A few other double-star observations with the 2x and 3x units are here: 

http://deepsky.vdsas...ouble-stars.php

Don't be put off by the German observing notes on that site. About half the observations are described in English. Given that the site hosts almost 4 thousand of them, that's still 2 thousand to peruse in English.

CS, Christopher

• plroberto and silv like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics