•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

14mm Delos vs 14mm Morpheus

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:53 PM

Has anyone had the chance to compare the 14mm Morpheus to the Delos?

I'm interested on how they compare in edge of field sharpness, contrast and apparent coma without a coma corrector.

• Charlespl likes this

#2 Tank

Tank

Soyuz

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

i would trust the TV Delos more 

its awesome

• paradise likes this

#3 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

I tested mine against the 14XW and much preferred the Morpheus overall.  There was no aspect of the XW I thought was better other than the build.  XWs have a great traditional build.

#4 tomjones

tomjones

Viking 1

• Loc: along the 32nd parallel

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

Aren't they the same price or nearly? Read somewhere the morf had edges out of focus in f/5 scopes, Delos 14 works perfect in f/5, pinpoint stars to the edge.

#5 Messyone

Messyone

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:04 AM

Hard choice Joe. Now that TV are 15% off the difference in Oz is about $100....used to be $200 AUD. I won't be going Delos as I'm very happy with the 14M I have. Works great with a Barlow. Also prefer 9mm to 10mm in my scopes, so have the 9M too which also works with a Barlow...no EOFB to be seen either. Haven't had either in my f4.8 10" Newt yet...soon I hope.

Matt

• JoeBlow likes this

#6 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

I'm betting the Morpheus has better eye relief for eyeglass wearers. The XW's are excellent for eye relief, but are a bit tight for eyeglasses depending on your facial structure and the glasses used. I found myself pretty close to the top housing, but I can use them with glasses. 

However, there are reports of field curvature with the 14mm Morpheus, which could be fixed with a coma corrector. The 14mm Delos has ever-so-slight field curvature but it can easily be ignored. I own the 14mm Delos myself.

Edited by Scanning4Comets, 12 May 2016 - 02:42 AM.

• JoeBlow likes this

#7 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:42 AM

14mm Baader Morpheus review:

https://stargazerslo...-morpheus-14mm/

More below:

https://stargazerslo...los-xw-and-lvw/

Edited by Cygnus2112, 12 May 2016 - 02:55 AM.

#8 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

• Loc: East of France

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:36 AM

On the French magazine "Astronomie Magazine" of this month, they tested the Delos VS Morpheus. The conclusion is that short focal length (4.5 mm) eyepiece seem to be better on the Morpheus side, as for long focal lengths (14 mm), the Delos seems to be the winner. It's not online, it's only on paper unfortunately.

edit : not 14 mm, but 12 mm.

Edited by Disciplus55, 12 May 2016 - 06:16 AM.

#9 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

On the French magazine "Astronomie Magazine" of this month, they tested the Delos VS Morpheus. The conclusion is that short focal length (4.5 mm) eyepiece seem to be better on the Morpheus side, as for long focal lengths (14 mm), the Delos seems to be the winner. It's not online, it's only on paper unfortunately.

The 4.5mm Delos is excellent. I dunno about the 14mm Morpheus being any "better". 

I'd like to see that in person myself.

#10 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

• Loc: East of France

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:24 AM

According to the magazine, I sum it up : the transmission of the Delos 4.5 mm appears to be slightly behind the Morpheus. This, added to extra FOV and lower cost made the Morpheus the winner for short focal length, whereas in 12 mm, the Delos is above the Morpheus because of some residual field distortion and less CA correction on the extreme edge of field on the Morpheus. But all in all, it's still two excellent eyepieces.

• JoeBlow likes this

#11 mterrill

mterrill

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:01 AM

I have a 14mm Morpheus on the way. I have heard they are comparable to the Delos at a lighter weight with a straight barrel and larger field. Here in Canada the price difference is close to $100 even with delos on sale.

If they are pretty close in performance I will be happy.

Edited by mterrill, 12 May 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#12 JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

I tested mine against the 14XW and much preferred the Morpheus overall.  There was no aspect of the XW I thought was better other than the build.  XWs have a great traditional build.

Probably not a surprise considering the 14mm XW is the weak one in the series with it's quite noticeable field curvature.

edit : not 14 mm, but 12 mm.

I have the 4.5mm Morpheus and optically it is excellent. My only major complaint is the eye cup... I feel the need to adjust the eye cup depending on the circumstances or the viewing target, which is not really possible to do, otherwise I sometimes have eye positioning problems. It also has edge of field brightening, however interestingly that disappeared when I tried it in under very dark skies.

14mm Baader Morpheus review:

https://stargazerslo...-morpheus-14mm/

More below:

https://stargazerslo...los-xw-and-lvw/

In those reviews the main issue noted was some field curvature towards the edges. I wonder if the FC may be more related to his telescope (80mm F6 refractor)? Though his other eyepieces didn't show FC...

#13 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

Regarding the edge of field sharpness, I would be not suprised if 14 D bests 14 M.

If Televue is known for something, it is that all of their EP lines constantly have exceptional edge of field performances. You can search transmission differences, color fidelity, this and that, but Televue will allways be amongst the sharpest across the whole FOV no matter what. And Delos obviously excels in all deparments.

Although someone can't disregard the fact that 14M has larger apparent FOV to correct.

I have 13mm Ethos covering this f/l, so no worries for me :jump:

On a side note, I will never figure out how can eyepieces be evaluated when fast reflector is used... Coma is simply too dominant abberation, at least for my eyes.

As for the Morpheus, I am so glad I went for the 9 and 6.5 mm! They sure provide for WOW views, be it DSO or planets (amazing contrast!).

For now two of my observing buddies looked through them and have been thrilled by its immersivenes and FOV. And that included ES100 user.

Let's just not comment on its crappy eyecups! :mad:

Edited by Tom_m, 12 May 2016 - 08:38 AM.

#14 mterrill

mterrill

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:58 AM

My 14mm just arrived. The quality appears to be good but not the up there with the best. The eyecup is worthless. Worse than what was on the Hyperions. The aFOV appears much bigger than my 68 degree eyepieces. I won't have a chance to observe for a few days but I am looking forward to it.

#15 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

Eyepieces can be evaluated easily in a fast reflector WITH a coma corrector.

But I hear what you're saying, Tom.

I see so many requests that read, "How does this eyepiece perform in a fast reflector without a coma corrector?"

And this question is never asked about $60 eyepieces, only the $200+ ones.

Well, instead of buying another eyepiece, buy a coma corrector, and then you'll never ask that question again.

And EVERY eyepiece will perform better in the scope, including all the ones you already own.

I'm just sayin'......

• bgi, R.bak, Sarkikos and 6 others like this

#16 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

Eyepieces can be evaluated easily in a fast reflector WITH a coma corrector.

But I hear what you're saying, Tom.

I see so many requests that read, "How does this eyepiece perform in a fast reflector without a coma corrector?"

And this question is never asked about $60 eyepieces, only the $200+ ones.

Well, instead of buying another eyepiece, buy a coma corrector, and then you'll never ask that question again.

And EVERY eyepiece will perform better in the scope, including all the ones you already own.

I'm just sayin'......

And what you and Tom are saying is correct. So many posts here say something like..."this eyepiece needs a coma corrector." No....the mirror needs the coma corrector. 

• bgi, Sarkikos, Paul Morow and 3 others like this

#17 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

Just to note that my intention was not to disregard other's viewpoints.

What puzzels me the most is that some eyepieces reportedly handle coma that is coming from the mirror better than the others.

Still, it is hard to evaluate eyepieces in a fast reflector without coma corrector.

#18 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

What puzzels me the most is that some eyepieces reportedly handle coma that is coming from the mirror better than the others.

Still, it is hard to evaluate eyepieces in a fast reflector without coma corrector.

No worries man. You don't have to get a coma corrector. If coma doesn't bother you, there really is no need. Some eyepieces show more of it than others. It's not hard to evaluate eyepieces without a coma corrector. Some people are very picky.

I've used my 8", 10" 12" 12.5" reflectors without coma correctors since 1995. I've enjoyed the hobby this way. Some eyepieces showed it more than others. 

I tried a coma corrector in the last year. Yes, views are better in *some* eyepieces, but it doesn't retract from viewing without one. 

Last night I used my 20mm XW a lot which has some field curvature. You know what? No coma corrector was used all night and I enjoyed every minute of using this eyepiece and the FC was barely noticeable because I was just enjoying the views with and without my nebula filters. I also used my 34mm ES 68 which shows a bit of coma. Was it really that bad?  No.

Edited by Cygnus2112, 12 May 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#19 bgi

bgi

Apollo

• Loc: Ga

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

I hear what you're saying.  LVW's and the old 20mm T2 Nagler are good examples.

Overall when evaluating an eyepiece for purchase, there are numerous attributes that I compare and consider.  Newtonian coma correction isn't one of them.  So, meh.  If you have a fast reflector, best to consider the coma corrector as part of the scope and be done with it.

• ShinySteelRobot likes this

#20 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

I hear what you're saying.  LVW's and the old 20mm T2 Nagler are good examples.

Overall when evaluating an eyepiece for purchase, there are numerous attributes that I compare and consider.  Newtonian coma correction isn't one of them.  So, meh.  If you have a fast reflector, best to consider the coma corrector as part of the scope and be done with it.

Without coma correction, here's what I have used and coma wasn't that bad that I had to run out and get a coma corrector:

40mm ES 68

35mm Pan

34mm ES 68

31mm Nagler

30mm XW

24mm Pan

22mm LVW

20mm Nag T2

17mm LVW

14mm Delos

12mm Delos

10mm XW

8mm Delos

7mm XW

6mm Delos

5mm XW

4.5mm Delos

There's more.....just can't think of them all just yet.

Now ones I find really need a CC:

40mm XL

28mm ES 68

27mm Pan

20mm XW

17.3mm Delos

19mm Pan

You can get away with it if you are not too picky.

I'm going to be picking one up. I am not picky....I enjoy the night sky with what I have...but the 20mm XW could use a bit of cleaning up, and so can my 34mm ES 68 even though I still enjoy the night sky without a coma corrector. I'm willing to give it a try.

Edited by Cygnus2112, 12 May 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#21 bgi

bgi

Apollo

• Loc: Ga

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:19 PM

As you say, you're not so picky!     :)    If it works, use it without the corrector.

#22 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:39 AM

As you say, you're not so picky!     :)    If it works, use it without the corrector.

True. I am not picky at all. I am going to get a PC T1 eventually though! :)

#23 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:16 AM

Found more here....

https://stargazerslo...t-with-naglers/

#24 repallad

repallad

Lift Off

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

All your examples are the same guy.  Sorry, just one man's view. 

For me, the 12.5 Morpheus is still in my EP case.  My 12T4 was sold. 

#25 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

All your examples are the same guy.  Sorry, just one man's view. 

For me, the 12.5 Morpheus is still in my EP case.  My 12T4 was sold. 

Yes.....same guy. However.....there's a few more if you just do a bit of research. ;) There ya go, I did some research.

Here's a few with some pros and cons....:main con seems to be the flimsy eyecup which isn't anything major. I'd like to try a few myself, but the FL's I have seem to be all covered at the moment.

34mm ES 68

20mm Pentax XW

14mm TeleVue Delos

10mm Pentax XW

7mm Pentax XW

5mm Pentax XW

2" barlow

https://stargazerslo...m-76°-eyepiece/

http://agenaastro.co...s_power_reviews

http://www.cloudynig...-morpheus-r3003

http://www.cloudynig...ader-eyepieces/

PS: The 12mm Nag T4 is an excellent EP, with just a slight learning curve to hold eye position. I wouldn't have sold that for a Baader. I'm all set here as I use a 10mm XW or 14mm Delos when I need them. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Delos and XW.JPG

Edited by Cygnus2112, 15 May 2016 - 06:47 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics