•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

celestron cn 16 gps module instructions

accessories beginner
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 navee8or

navee8or

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

I am all new to goto , I was fortunate enough to get an agt eq5mount with all the required equipment. Then I found out this mount could be used with a gps module. Again through being at the right place at the right time, I got a used module . The question I have is are there any instructions on how to ste it up and use it?? I have contacted celestron and could not find anything, can somebody please help me out?? :blush: :shocked: :undecided: :confused:

• Charlespl likes this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

Not much too it really.  I use one with my CGE and the only thing I check (If ever) is that the GPS in set to "ON" in the Hand Controller.

Here is a brief manual.

EDIT:  I just realized you have an EQ5.  I initially read that as a CG5.  Unfortunately the CN16 is not compatible with the SkyWatcher Synscan Hand controllers.

If you did have the CG5, you'd still need an Aux port.as seen here and discussed here.

Mike

Edited by junomike, 12 May 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#3 navee8or

navee8or

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

Mike thank you so much, now I can see de light!!   Clear skies,  Navee8or

#4 john10906

john10906

Lift Off

• Loc: Aiken, South Carolina, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:33 PM

I am assembling a Celestron 8SE telescope. I have the CN16 GPS unit. Right now I have the finder scope mounted on the optical tube in the screw holes that appear to be there specifically for the finder scope. Now I am wanting to mount the CN16. The instructions says to mount it on the top, back part of the optical tube. There are no screw holes on the top, back of the optical tube. So how am I to mount it? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:52 AM

I am assembling a Celestron 8SE telescope. I have the CN16 GPS unit. Right now I have the finder scope mounted on the optical tube in the screw holes that appear to be there specifically for the finder scope. Now I am wanting to mount the CN16. The instructions says to mount it on the top, back part of the optical tube. There are no screw holes on the top, back of the optical tube. So how am I to mount it? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like it can be mounted on either Mount as seen here or OTA as seen here.

I'd just velcro it somewhere convenient.

#6 john10906

john10906

Lift Off

• Loc: Aiken, South Carolina, USA

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

Gday Mike,

Velcro may work. I tried mounting it but the coil cord is in tension and is quite stiff which results in the GPS module moving around. I suppose I could drill and tap 2 holes but I'm afraid to do that as metal filings will probably get inside the tube. Maybe use a vacuum cleaner on the area of the drilling to suck up the metal pieces. I think it may be too risky. Anybody else try this method? Any ideas?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics