•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Baader zoom stopped zooming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 mejacobs

mejacobs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

My Baader Mark III zoom has been one of my most used eyepieces in recent years. I was out tonight observing the moon and Jupiter while waiting for Saturn to peak above the horizon here when my eyepiece jammed--stuck at 8mm. I understand this might not be an uncommon issue with these EPs. I'm assuming I now have an expensive paper weight on my hands but I wanted to see if others had this problem and, if so, what they did.

Edited by mejacobs, 14 May 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#2 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:12 AM

It seems you are not the only one....

https://stargazerslo...on-zoom-seized/

#3 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

Hello.,,That's a bummer.,,I would first try contacting Baader.,or whom ever you got it from,.,If that got no results.,next I would probably thunk it gently against the edge of a table.,and if that failed to free it up,I would take it apart.,,maybe not the best advise.,but that's what I'd do.,If it ain't don't fix it.,If it is.,fix it or break it more.,,good luck.,

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:42 AM

A friend of mine has had two Baader Zoom's which won't Zoom/Click suddenly. He didn't do anything special with the ep's.

One i was able to fix for him. Taking apart? Do be very very carefull ! The first Baader i destroyed...

Baader will say to you: sorry we can do noting for you...

Based on these experiences i decided to not buy a Baader Zoom ep myself and stay on fixed focal length ep's... 

#5 teelgul

teelgul

Messenger

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

Where are they made? They are much cheaper compared to the Leica zoom .

#6 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

Presumably it's still useable at 8mm?  If so it's hardly an expensive paperweight - an expensive 8mm eyepiece perhaps, but not a paperweight.

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

I've had three Baader Zooms.  The first was a Mk II.  The two I have now are Mk III's.  Over all, I've been using BZ's for about six years.  Never had any of them get stuck.

Yes, contact Baader and the vendor, to see what they can do for you.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 14 May 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#8 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

The same happened to me a few years ago. I was told that possibly it was caused by "debris" of the grease sticking toghether.

I took the eyepiece to the vendor, and he took care of everything; in the end the eyepiece was replaced, so to fix was either imposible or more expensive than the replacement

#9 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

I've had three Baader Zooms.  The first was a Mk II.  The two I have now are Mk III's.  Over all, I've been using BZ's for about six years.  Never had any of them get stuck.

Yes, contact Baader and the vendor, to see what they can do for you.

Mike

Same here with my II & III. They're not supposed to get stuck.

MarkIIIBHII_zpsf246c543.jpg

Will follow the same advice contacting the vendor, or NA distributor.

Best,

#10 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

"They're not supposed to get stuck"

No, but they can  :crazy:  

#11 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:27 PM

The same happened to me a few years ago. I was told that possibly it was caused by "debris" of the grease sticking toghether.

I took the eyepiece to the vendor, and he took care of everything; in the end the eyepiece was replaced, so to fix was either imposible or more expensive than the replacement

Another reason to avoid this zoom altogether !!!!  Plus fuzzy looking field stops at every setting except for one?  No thanks! 24mm and a couple below that setting looked so narrow too. I'm glad I was physically able to check one out in a store nearby as I had thoughts about trading my 10mm XW for it.

Not happening !!!!  :getem:

Edited by Cygnus2112, 14 May 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#12 mejacobs

mejacobs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

This is the second Baader zoom that's gone bad on me. With the first, one of the lenses cracked when I was zooming. It was like looking through a broken windshield. Fortunately it was within the warranty period and I got a replacement at no cost. Losing a second makes me think the risk of failure it too high to justify taking a chance on another.

#13 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Has Baader QC declined?

I have had no problems with any of the three Baader Zooms I've owned.  I still own two.  They are my most used eyepieces.

Mike

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

Could the environment in which the observer uses their Baader Zoom make a difference?   All my observing sites are usually humid, sometimes very dewy.  Virtually no dirt and dust blowing in the air anywhere around here.  

Do the observers who have had problems with the BZ observe in dry and dusty environments?  Could grit be getting into the mechanism of the BZ's?

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 16 May 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#15 mejacobs

mejacobs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

The recent failure occurred in Northern New Mexico where it is dry (and quite dusty as we near the end of the windy season). The earlier failure happened in Minnesota.

#16 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

I wonder if exposing it to cold and then hot temps might free it up for some reason? Maybe contraction and expansion could break something loose.  Just a thought.

#17 mejacobs

mejacobs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

I wonder if exposing it to cold and then hot temps might free it up for some reason? Maybe contraction and expansion could break something loose.  Just a thought.

Definitely worth a shot at this point. I'll give that a try.

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

It's time for.....Baader Ball......I got a bat.... ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics