•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Towa 80

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 dfell

dfell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

just hunted down and found a Towa 80mm f/15 refractor this month, cleaned and assembled and last night star tested and observed Saturn, wow, I had forgotten after all these years how good these scopes were. I got a couple of .965 plossls from Antares, though at f/15 the original Ke22 was not bad.
Details and pics at http://www.spacealbe...ipment/80mm.htm

#2 Rcade

Rcade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:34 AM

Way COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 dfell

dfell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

Thanks, now I'm looking for a motor drive for this mount, seems the EQ2 might fit, or the HOC 12 volt.

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

Picture(s), please? :praying:

Keith

#5 dfell

dfell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

Pictures are here...
http://www.spacealbe...ipment/80mm.htm

#6 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

Dfell,

I didn't see the pic reference in your original post. Thanks.

I actually looked at this scope at Sean's earlier this month and would have bought it except I bought a 60's 3" f15 Solarama just a few months earlier from the same person who had this one on consignment...John Siple.

He offered this scope to me before he put it on consignment at Sean's, and his description indicated that it had never come out of the box until he aquired it. You essentially have a NEW classic scope in as good a condition as the day it was shipped from the factory!

Excellent choise, and I'm sure it will continue to please you for many years to come. :waytogo:

Keith

PS How do you rate the Antares Plossl against a generic Meade Plossl or higher end EPs such as orthoscopics? I'm assuming these are Taiwanese manufacture? For star testing, right now its a toss-up for me between using the 1.25" EP with hybrid diagonal or straight through with my not-so-hot Japanese .965s that came with my various classic scopes. It would be nice to upgrade and get some good straight through shots.

#7 dfell

dfell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

I an waiting a straight through .965 adapter in order to be able to evaluate the scope with my TeleVue plossls and radians, I don't trust the hybid diagonal for this test. The Antares plossls are so so in my opinion. You can get a straight through adapter from Lumicon.

#8 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

Well, this was an old thread and I may start a new one later but for now, I took a baseball bat to mine....

more to come :jump:

#9 dfell

dfell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

I was able to test this scope with 10mm and 6mm radians, without a diagonal and using a .965 to 1 1/4" adapter, and I was amazed at the detail on Jupiter and the Moon, side by side with my Synta 6" f/8, I couldn't see a whole lot of difference in the images even with the fringe killer on the 6", the Towa gave a nice clean image without any filters. I was also able to image some sunspots with the digital camera and they turned out fairly good considering there was a lot of cirrus cloud.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics