•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revolution Imager R2

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#1 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:03 PM

Just received the Revolution Imager R2 from Orange County Telescope.  This is the replacement for the now out of stock original Revolution Imager which included an entry level video camera and all necessary accessories in one complete package.  The R2 comes with the same complete set of accessories in a very nice protective case with strap:  

1/3" analog video camera

7" LCD monitor with remote control and stand 

12V Li ion battery

0.5X reducer

UV/IR filter

1.25" adapter

UTC camera remote control

power and video cables

carrying case

I haven't been able to get outside with it yet, but am impressed with how well everything was packed and protected inside the hard cover case.  It came with a printed set of instructions for setting it up and a short 3 step guide to setting up the camera menu to start.  Pictures of the everything are shown here.  As you can see, everything is neatly packaged in the carrying case.  The camera has a Sony ICX811 CCD and you can plainly see that it is a smaller version of the original.  I'm betting it will still give amazing results either with the in camera stacking (up to 6 frames) or with a computer and stacking software like Sharpcap.  You can get more details on the RevolutionImager.com web site.

Seeing this in person I can say this is a very nice all-in-one easy to set up package for anyone wanting to start out in deep sky video.  It also looks like a great outreach setup. 

Just as soon as I can, I will give the camera a go and let post some images.  

Best Regards,

Curtis

Edit:  Sorry, but I just noticed another thread on this new camera.  I didn't mean to steal the topic.  I guess I was just so excited to share that I didn't check the other postings first.

Attached Thumbnails

• Revolution Imager 2 Camera.jpg
  • Revolution Imager 2 Camera Back.jpg
  • Revolution Imager 2.jpg

Edited by CA Curtis 17, 17 May 2016 - 12:05 AM.

• shortonjr likes this

#2 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:10 AM

Looking forward to seeing some results.

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

Looks good Curtis - await some results ;-)

As an aside is there a post somewhere listing EAA cameras / variants and their origins / websites.  I'm confused with all the camera names as to who makes what  ;-)

Nyte

• Bestred1 likes this

#4 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

I'm glad they found an alternative to the original camera.  Cant wait to see some images

#5 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

As an aside is there a post somewhere listing EAA cameras / variants and their origins / websites.  I'm confused with all the camera names as to who makes what  ;-)

Nyte

I don't think we'll ever have a comprehensive list.

AVS seems to use a LN300 case and then sources the sensor and designs the electronics for most of the cameras.  I think some of the boards are printed/made elsewhere and components placed/soldered to them and final assembly is AVS.  I think that is the closest I know of for analog video cameras being made by the seller.  The DSO-1 is (I think) a modified LN300 and is an exception to the typical mode of manufacture - and is much cheaper.

Touptek, Tucsen, and Mintron have made a bunch of the cameras sold under various names - some with slight modifications, some with significant modifications, and some with no modification other than putting the seller's name on them.  Nothing at all wrong with doing this, BTW - and I think we'll see more of it in the futre.

I'm really not sure where ZWO fits into all this.  I've wondered if there were some connection between Touptek, Tucsen, and ZWO - either cooperative or adversarial but I really don't know where it all comes down.

The upshot, however, is that I don't think we'll ever have that entire list.

The thing I think, however, is that we should insist on knowing what sensor is being used, frame rate(s) used in the camera, potential integration times, whether 3D-DNR is used and mandatory, etc.  Get the specifications - if they won't give them then there is likely something you should know and which they don't want to tell you.  I think they will all give you the specs.

Edited by OleCuss, 17 May 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#6 docent

docent

Lift Off

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Curtis -

What kind of telescope are you using for your R2 imager?  Do you need a focal reducer?

Mike - Ca

#7 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

The package comes with a focal reducer.

#8 Boomer23059

Boomer23059

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Powhatan, VA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

I've got the R2 with the "Revo-Evo" kit that mounts the monitor into my Nexstar Evolution 9.25 and uses a USB to 12v cable to powers the monitor and camera from the Evolution battery.  It's great!

I had a brief viewing of Jupiter with the 0.5 focal reducer.  I got an image on the screen about the size of a pencil eraser, but the bands and colors of Jupiter were very clear.  Clouds rolled in before I could try it without the focal reducer.  Looking forward to viewing Mars after the rain passes.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#9 TheRock

TheRock

Messenger

• Loc: Bergen County, NJ

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

Is it me, or is this new camera being promoted differently.... more planetary perhaps?

#10 OC Telescope

OC Telescope

Vendor (OC Telescope)

• Vendors

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

Is it me, or is this new camera being promoted differently.... more planetary perhaps?

Not at all!

Truly amazing deep sky capabilities in seconds from a light polluted back yard.  

Mike

#11 wrpspeed16

wrpspeed16

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Davenport,Iowa,USA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

it does have a zoom which wouldmake it easier for planetary I think.

#12 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Don't use a focal reducer for planetary work, there you want more focal length not less.

Add a 2x to 3x Barlow when you are viewing the planets. This works better than using the built in zoom feature.

The only time a focal reducer makes sense for solar system work is when you want to get the whole lunar or solar disk in the fov and even then you really need to watch the faster f ratio which makes things really difficult particularly with white light solar filters (many cameras can't get a fast enough shutter/frame rate to prevent the image from being blown out at faster f ratios). In this type of situation you may need to add a neutral density filter (or polarizing filter or even a light pollution filter) to reduce the brightness.

Edited by mclewis1, 17 May 2016 - 06:09 PM.

• Ptarmigan, Gary Z, claws and 1 other like this

#13 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

Mike-CA     As the other Curtis said, the R2 comes with a 0.5X focal reducer.  I also have other reducers I will eventually try with the camera.  I think I will try the camera first with my C9.25" SCT, but eventually a 6" SCT, 80mm Refractor and C14" SCT in Hyperstar.  But it will take some time to try it with all of those combinations since I work for a living, have to deal with the moon and cloudy skies and just have other things to do besides this.

I will post here, and on my web site, CaliforniaSkys, as images become available.

My focus will be on deep sky objects, but eventually I will look at some planets with it as well.

Regards,

Curtis

#14 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:58 PM

Even though the moon is large and high up in the sky, I just had to give the R2 a quick run through.  I used it on my C9.25" SCT with the included 0.5X reducer and UV-IR filter.  I used Sharpcap to capture a few photos of the moon (because it was still early and I thought it was a good place to get started), M5 and M3.  The moon was captured at 1/10,000 sec with AGC Max at 12dB.  M5 and M3 were stacks of 600 and 300 frames, respectively, using 256X (5sec) & 36dB AGC.  I did not use DNR and left all the other settings as they came.  I had trouble getting Sharpcap to recognize enough alignment stars at first and had to raise the exposure to 256X which is the max.  Could be something I was missing or the brightness of the sky background making it harder to distinguish stars.  Will find out when I get a dark night to play with the camera.

I know that M3 and M5 are not especially difficult targets, but given the brightness of the moon and my newness to the camera I thought I should give these a try.

Best Regards,

Curtis

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon 0.1msec AGC12 5-17-2017 2016-05-17T20_53_39.jpg
  • Moon 0.1msec AGC12 5-17-2017 2016-05-17T20_51_52.jpg
  • M5 256X 36dB 600 Frames 5-17-2016.jpg
  • M3 256x 36dB 300 Frames 2016-05-17T21_33_01.jpg

• Relativist, mclewis1, Dragon Man and 13 others like this

#15 Censustaker

Censustaker

Apollo

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:55 AM

I think those are pretty great, Curtis. I've personally noticed that the stars on the R2 appear to be a little tighter in my opinion. 

#16 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

I think those are pretty great, Curtis. I've personally noticed that the stars on the R2 appear to be a little tighter in my opinion. 

Using a focal reducer gives sharper more 'pinpoint' stars, using an IR/UV filter tightens them up even more, and so does a natively fast scope.

Add the 3 together and BINGO! nice sharp stars  :)

#17 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:57 AM

Great pics!   I would like to see how it does on galaxies

#18 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

Thanks Jon and Mike.

I too want to see how this does on galaxies and nebulae, but I have little time on weeknights and I needed to try out the new camera with some relatively easy objects. Weather forecast for this weekend, cloudy with a chance of rain.  With such a bright moon it's pretty tough to see what the camera can do on deep sky objects anyway.  If I can I'll change out to a barlow and see if I can capture some pics of Jupiter before the clouds come.  But my real interest is in DSOs, so maybe the following week.

Regards,

Curtis

Edited by CA Curtis 17, 18 May 2016 - 09:08 AM.

• StarMike8SE likes this

#19 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

Really good results Curtis   :)

Your background sky is nice and smooth too. It also helps make the stars look cleaner.  :waytogo:

#20 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Thanks Jon and Mike.

I too want to see how this does on galaxies and nebulae, but I have little time on weeknights and I needed to try out the new camera with some relatively easy objects. Weather forecast for this weekend, cloudy with a chance of rain.  With such a bright moon it's pretty tough to see what the camera can do on deep sky objects anyway.  If I can I'll change out to a barlow and see if I can capture some pics of Jupiter before the clouds come.  But my real interest is in DSOs, so maybe the following week.

Regards,

Curtis

I'll be getting the R2 model this weekend as well, although I would prefer the R2-D2 series... If only the weather would cooperate here in California!

• StarMike8SE, Censustaker and Spacefreak1974 like this

#21 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

R2-D2 series? ....  :ohgeeze:

:lol:

• Howie1 and Censustaker like this

#22 Censustaker

Censustaker

Apollo

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

Using a focal reducer gives sharper more 'pinpoint' stars, using an IR/UV filter tightens them up even more, and so does a natively fast scope.

Apart from that - i've noticed the stars appear tighter on the R2 i have vs the existing model. 

• StarMike8SE likes this

#23 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Apart from that - i've noticed the stars appear tighter on the R2 i have vs the existing model.  

They should be identical to the last model John. Same sensor with the same pixels size.  :waytogo:  11811

#24 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

Jon

I had the same reaction as Ken about the star size.

Curtis 

#25 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

Very different DSP, which can have a big effect on star images. 

• Relativist likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics