•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revolution Imager R2

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#826 taxibill

taxibill

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Aurora, Colorado

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:37 PM

Please describe your power arrangement...

Funny you should ask.  The RI2 battery pack fried on me, one of the three cells evidently overcharged.  The cell was swollen and read 0 volts on my multi meter.  The other two 3.7v cells were fine.  I cobbled together a replacement battery pack using 9 AAA Li ion rechargeables in series, putting out 12.25v on full charge.  Works just fine.  Everything on battery power, no AC adapters involved, so I don't think it's line interference.

Edited by taxibill, 09 November 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#827 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:09 PM

Few suggestions

1. use quality rechargeable batteries (for better discharge curve/lower internal resistance) such that large discharge current can be offerred

2. place a 2200uFD 25V electrolytic capacitor near the battery pack power supply side

3. use two, separate power supply wire-pairs to two different devices, i.e., home-run cabling (do not daisy chain)

• taxibill likes this

#828 taxibill

taxibill

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:48 PM

Few suggestions

1. use quality rechargeable batteries (for better discharge curve/lower internal resistance) such that large discharge current can be offerred

2. place a 2200uFD 25V electrolytic capacitor near the battery pack power supply side

3. use two, separate power supply wire-pairs to two different devices, i.e., home-run cabling (do not daisy chain)

Thanks Cosmos...I'll try these fixes and keep you posted on the results

#829 Dave L

Dave L

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chatsworth, California

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

I am curious to know if any members out there who own the Revolution Imager II with the mini dvr, have used the that combination to take astro pics. I have used the combination to take pictures of the moon and the planets but not deep sky objects.  If any have done so, and had success, I would like to know?

#830 burb scope

burb scope

Viking 1

• Loc: Holland, MI

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Cosmos...I'll try these fixes and keep you posted on the results

I have seen signal degradation with the WIFI transmitter, but not those bands.  I removed the WIFI and it went away.

I will use WIFI for outreach only, and not for my own use.

• taxibill likes this

#831 burb scope

burb scope

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:23 PM

I am curious to know if any members out there who own the Revolution Imager II with the mini dvr, have used the that combination to take astro pics. I have used the combination to take pictures of the moon and the planets but not deep sky objects.  If any have done so, and had success, I would like to know?

I take videos of deep sky objects as they are saved on the DVR.  I DO NOT save & stack them with the USB dongle.  I don't want to use the laptop at the scope.

I copy the videos later to my laptop, and view them with VLC Media Player.  THIS is where I tweak the brightness & contrast & gamma settings to get a pleasing image.  *THIS IS CRITICAL*

I have found that a so-so looking image from the camera can be processed here to darken the background and bring out the colors.  I can't get the settings on the camera to do this.

I set the aspect ratio to 16:10 and run the video to where enough live images were stacked together and I freeze it on a good frame.

There is a "take snapshot" option and I save it as a .png or .bmp or whatever.

Here are some snapshots of M27, M13, M17

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180915-M27-MPEG0082_640x480.jpg
  • 20180915-M13-MPEG0051_640x480.png
  • 20180911-M17-MPEG0038_640x480.jpg

#832 Dave L

Dave L

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chatsworth, California

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

tThanks for taking the time to answer my question.  Those look pretty darn good.  How many frames do you normally take to stack latter on?  Lets use M27 as an example.

#833 taxibill

taxibill

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

Few suggestions

Hello ccs_hello,

I tried solution #3 first.  I removed the WiFi emitter from the battery pack daisy chain and powered it independently.  This cleared up the interference banding very nicely.  Thanks very much for the suggestions, I never would have thought of that.

--Bill K.

Edited by taxibill, 12 November 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#834 burb scope

burb scope

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:53 PM

tThanks for taking the time to answer my question.  Those look pretty darn good.  How many frames do you normally take to stack latter on?  Lets use M27 as an example.

Sorry, I wasn't really stacking them later on, I had the DNR set to 4 so that 4 frames were averaged together to reduce noise.

#835 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

I am selling my R2 with three batteries plus an extra long cable. Bought the IMX224 so the R2 is no longer in use.

Arne

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics