Last weekend I stoped by the local thrift shop again and picked myself up this vintage blue and silver beauty. Its a Bushnell Skychief II. The telescope cane in its original wood case, and had all its accessories. (Three eye peices, a barlow, A 90% prism, a circular drum type style erecting prism, and all lens caps).
After assembling it, I'm only missing one of the original three bolts that adjust the angle of finder scope.The thrift store had two telescopes to choose from and both were listed at the same cost. The other was a Celestron 60mm Equatorial Mount PowerSeeker without aditional accessories.I took home this vintage Bushnell, and left the Celestron for someone else.
I have not had the chance to clean it up yet, but did assemble it just to test its functionality. Everything works, so in the next week or so I will try to take it all apart and give it a good cleaning. Once cleaned up I will compare it to my Equatorial Mount Meade of approximantly the same size and then decide which one gets to stay.
So in my initial tests, I thought things were decent. I then found out my internal baffle mid scope was tweaked off center by about a 30% angle. I found that the baffle has a compression fit, and can easily be moved back and forth with some pressure applied from a smaller diameter tube.
I'm now trying to find the ideal location.
These baffles may play a part in what vintage items may be determined as good or subpar by individual reviewers, as they can easily be moved back and forth with just a little bit of pressure.
After I discovered this, I then tried it out on a later scope tube I was not using, and the result was the same. It could also be moved back and forth.
Its just another simple tweak we should all be aware of to optimize the performance out of our vintage scopes.
Edited by Mbinoc, 14 August 2019 - 06:38 PM.