•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a Picture of Your Classic Telescope- with or without you!

• Please log in to reply
3918 replies to this topic

#3626 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:29 AM

i have pics. I should look for a Vixen decal. The tube looks in great shape. The lens could use a bit of cleaning just to satisfy obsessive compulsive needs. It also has the original metal objective cover. Complaint: in recent years I have bought several refractors, and there has been an increasing tendency for things like original objective covers to not be included. Not in the pictures is a pretty 6x30 finder and finder stalk. That finder stalk slips right on the tube (focuser) with one set screw.

As I stated above I bought (we actually ended up trading) the same Vixen focuser with a bent shaft from another member to get a 2" inch visual back. On that focuser were metal focuser knobs. I replaced the black plastic focuser knobs that came with this scope with the metal ones. The metal ones, besides looking really cool, are 2" / 50mm (approximate) and  10mm wider than the plastic knobs. I like upgrades, especially ones that improve function.

You can also see the Baader Clicklock visual back. I like that over the Vixen. Better to have too many accessory rings than not having the one you need!

Littlegreenman

I love those Bob’s Knobs, I have them on about 4-5 scopes ! Great scope as well ! Clear skize !

#3627 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

I thought the AVX would handle the Unitron better than my LX-70, and it is more stable, but it’s a bit short (a pier extension would help) so care must be taken to keep the under-mounted finder from bumping the tripod. But the big issue is that I can hear the strain on the motors, even at medium slewing speed.  This is an astrophotography package Unitron, and would be pretty heavy loaded with the 60mm guiding scope and rings, plus the tube counterweight rings and rod, but I’ve mounted it as you see it with only the finder.  It weighs less than 20lbs with the rings and bar, but without all the other gear the balance point is very far rearward due to the heavy focuser.  The original Unitron EQ mount tripod is much taller than anything I have.  I may need something like a Berlebach Uni to make it work (the Uni 28 extends to around 64”).

I'm curious, why don't they play well together? I would have expected this setup to be a useful marriage of vintage optics and contemporary mount. 

Edited by dusty99, 21 June 2020 - 09:01 AM.

#3628 BGjr

BGjr

Lift Off

• Loc: Redondo Beach, CA

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:00 PM

I thought the AVX would handle the Unitron better than my LX-70, and it is more stable, but it’s a bit short (a pier extension would help) so care must be taken to keep the under-mounted finder from bumping the tripod. But the big issue is that I can hear the strain on the motors, even at medium slewing speed.  This is an astrophotography package Unitron, and would be pretty heavy loaded with the 60mm guiding scope and rings, plus the tube counterweight rings and rod, but I’ve mounted it as you see it with only the finder.  It weighs less than 20lbs with the rings and bar, but without all the other gear the balance point is very far rearward due to the heavy focuser.  The original Unitron EQ mount tripod is much taller than anything I have.  I may need something like a Berlebach Uni to make it work (the Uni 28 extends to around 64”).

Ok yes; a lot of factors I hadn't considered. Thanks for clarifying.

#3629 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

My ATM 8in f/7 with Parks mirror

Attached Thumbnails

• Parks 8in f7 reflector.jpg

• Lewis Cason, steve t, deepwoods1 and 8 others like this

#3630 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:33 PM

This little GOTO ST - 6 recently made it across the bigger pond and  landed on a Vixen tripod model 3587.....very lightweight and a pleasure to use.  The lens surprisingly can be collimated and I will share in a separate thread.   The lens appears to be coated and in amazing shape being a contact doublet with no spacers it is my first GOTO and I could not be more pleased.  The little 60mm is a performer that held it's own last night against a Edmund 3 inch refractor.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200604_091120a.jpg
  • 20200604_090449a.jpg

• davidmcgo, photiost, contrailmaker and 10 others like this

#3631 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:36 PM

That's a nice looking scope! V/R Terry

#3632 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Terry....It probably weighs less than 6 lbs.  The little Alt-azimuth has a built in level and a compass with slow motion controls for both axis.  A couple of more pics of just the mount.

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200604_090704a.jpg
  • 20200604_090255a.jpg

• photiost, clamchip, R Botero and 11 others like this

#3633 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:02 PM

Littlegreenman, on 19 Jun 2020 - 9:55 PM, said:

Sorry I do not have my own pics (yet). But, see the link for a Goodwill auction:

https://www.shopgood...61#shipping-tab

That is same Vixen (Japan) ED102SS 4".F5.6 apo branded Orion. Vixen does appear anywhere, on it, but it's a Vixen. Also the specs are not painted or printed anywhere on it. ??
Since it is branded Orion and a white tube that dates it to late 90's into the early oughts. I forget when Orion started carrying Vixen. This was posted here on CN on the Craigslist, eBay and other vintage telescope ads thread. I instantly recognized it. I wanted it. Bidding was at $450. It was ending in several days.
There were very little comments on it. The only response I remember was another member who gave his/her opinion it was probably not worth more, and likely less than current bid. He was wrong. As you can see (until Goodwill takes the listing down) I won it for $601.00.
This is the 3rd one I've bought, and I promise myself not to sell this one!
Included was a rare focal reducer for this scope. Since I don't image, I sold that off. It has a visual back/adapter that threaded into the drawtube and takes 43mm or something items. The visual back was really stuck until I remembered I had a rubber strap wrench thing-a-ma-jig, likely for removing oil filters. That broke it free. I posted on the refractor forum that I needed/wanted a visual back for the 60mm drawtube that took 2" accessories. The Vixen US importer marks those out of stock. A fellow member offered me a whole Vixen focuser with a bent shaft cheap with the needed visual back. I also got larger metal focuser wheels.
And I bought a Baader Clicklock visual back for Vixen 60mm drawtubes. The Baader is way to go. Yes Terra, if you don't have one, just get one. Agena Astro has them.
Alas, I've been under clouds most days since I bought this. Sigh.

I have a Vixen 2" visual back on mine. The optics are truly wonderful! I really love it. It's a lifetime keeper for me!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2EBFBE16-3284-4CEA-8876-E99875198F62.jpeg
  • F999EE01-DBB9-4AFF-B2CB-B1D73F53ACE4.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 22 June 2020 - 02:15 PM.

• Lewis Cason, ianatcn, LDW47 and 8 others like this

#3634 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

if that vintage Orion (or Celestron) refractor is made in Japan, odds are /very/ good its a Vixen. But both brands switched to first Taiwan, then China in search of MOREMONEY.

Regarding the Vixen (Japan) ED102SS 4".F5.6 apo branded Orion I posted about a few posts above.

This telescope was definitely made in Japan. A few years later Vixen succumbed to market forces and started buying or ordering things made in China.

I searched around and found a review of this scope on Ed Ting's site Scopereviews. The Orion model # is VX102ED-GP. "GP" stands for Great Polaris, referring to the Vixen mount. With the exception of Celestron who sold black versions, most of the Vixen GP mounts sold in the world were painted "gun metal" green. The trim--focuer, rings, dovetail, finder bracket were painted the same green. The review is the first one on the link.

https://www.scoperev...m/page1m.html#1

I also went back to Company Seven's website:  http://www.company7....ixen/index.html

to refresh my memory.

If interested hunt around. You could spend all day their if you want. (On one page it incorrectly states Tele Vue became the Vixen North American distributor in 1992. The happened in 2002 and lasted several years.)

Edited by Littlegreenman, 23 June 2020 - 10:41 AM.

#3635 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:28 PM

This little GOTO ST - 6 recently made it across the bigger pond and  landed on a Vixen tripod model 3587.....very lightweight and a pleasure to use.  The lens surprisingly can be collimated and I will share in a separate thread.   The lens appears to be coated and in amazing shape being a contact doublet with no spacers it is my first GOTO and I could not be more pleased.  The little 60mm is a performer that held it's own last night against a Edmund 3 inch refractor.  

That is CUTE! Love the mount. How are the motions?

#3636 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:53 PM

The mount while lightweight is very well made....I believe it is  aluminum but as with most things GOTO it was overbuilt and well engineered.  These were called "School Telescopes"  60mm,  hence the ST - 6.  I really like the slow motions on both axis and the compass has a glass lens cover not plastic.   I have attached what the original tripod looks like below.   

Here is a link to most things GOTO and it talks about the school telescopes in the very first thread  (very long but full of excellent information)

https://www.cloudyni...-optical-on-cn/

Attached Thumbnails

• msg-138372-0-44473100-1592266205.jpg

• clamchip, R Botero, steve t and 4 others like this

#3637 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:58 PM

Reliving My Youth.

I've posted the first photo several times, but not as a Then & Now.

Jaegers-Me-78.jpg

The newly created Jaeges/Cave from the Fall of 1978

Jaegers&Me-4-CN.jpg

The resurrected telescope Last Night

The scope looks like it's been in a time capsule.

Me, not so much....

....and that's the original stuff hung for the photo.

• davidmcgo, tim53, Eric P and 44 others like this

#3638 BGjr

BGjr

Lift Off

• Loc: Redondo Beach, CA

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

Reliving My Youth.

I've posted the first photo several times, but not as a Then & Now.

attachicon.gifJaegers-Me-78.jpg

The newly created Jaeges/Cave from the Fall of 1978

attachicon.gifJaegers&Me-4-CN.jpg

The resurrected telescope Last Night

The scope looks like it's been in a time capsule.

Me, not so much....

....and that's the original stuff hung for the photo.

Well you're still sporting a decent head of hair, which is more than many of us can say... **** your genetics man! Beautiful telescope; and I appreciate the attention to detail by including the original photo/prints on display. Nice touch.

Edited by BGjr, 23 June 2020 - 08:07 PM.

• steve t, PawPaw, quality guy and 1 other like this

#3639 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:52 PM

Well you're still sporting a decent head of hair, which is more than many of us can say... **** your genetics man! Beautiful telescope; and I appreciate the attention to detail by including the original photo/prints on display. Nice touch.

Thanks on all accounts, but don't look too close or in the right light. The top of the old noggin ain't what it use too be!

#3640 MGAR

MGAR

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Seattle

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

Chris, beautiful before and now! We should start a thread "classic before and present, you and your telescope" Both me and my Lx5 have changed over the years. I would post here but this thread does no justice, I just see scopes only which dulls my interest.

Cheers!

Gary

Edited by MGAR, 23 June 2020 - 10:07 PM.

• John Rogers, AllanDystrup and Kasmos like this

#3641 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:42 AM

Chris great then and now, right down to the T-shirt. We all wish we fared as well.

• Kasmos likes this

#3642 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

Chris great then and now, right down to the T-shirt. We all wish we fared as well.

Walter,

It was a bit of a silly but fun challenge to recreate it. I also still have the Astrorama but don't know where it's stashed right now. The other picture lower down behind me in the first photo was from the Star Wars Ralph McQuarrie portfolio. It was later put back in the portfolio, but it's now in a drawer and had too many telescope boxes in front of it! The funny thing about the t-shirts. I didn't realize until I took the new photo that the old shirt also had a breast pocket. It make sense since back then all I ever wore were JC Penny Towncraft Pocket Tees. That's a big reason why I like my Penncrest Telescope. lol.gif  

• walter a likes this

#3643 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

Now that the Soligor is a useable telescope I thought it deserved to be included in this gallery.

Soligor-Palm.jpg

• BarabinoSr, photiost, Jim Curry and 18 others like this

#3644 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:32 PM

And its twin...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1934 - Edited (1).jpg

• BarabinoSr, photiost, clamchip and 13 others like this

#3645 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:51 PM

“Dress like your telescope day“

A friend has loaned me a gorgeous C11 he hasn’t been using lately and I decided to do a shot like one Robert did with his Astroscan a while back.

4EF401CE-0B46-4F4A-A290-447387050491.jpeg

Dave

• tim53, Vesper818, Lewis Cason and 13 others like this

#3646 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

Here is a classic Celestron Ultima 8 all tricked out with a Milburn wedge and a HD tripod from a C14. It also sports a Lumicon 50mm super finder and a DSC system with 10K encoders and a Crayford focuser.  The Ultima 8 is extremely stable in this configuration and a joy to use. I have even done some imaging with this scope despite what many say about fork mounted SCTs. I also like the esthetics of the Ultima fork.

C8 on Ultima-17.JPG

John Love

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 05 July 2020 - 08:58 AM.

• tim53, John Rogers, clamchip and 6 others like this

#3647 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful shares on this thread & the views of yourselves & your amazing instruments. This thread was a treat for me , I looked at all 146 pages. My scope collection is poor & small. This thread allowed me to dream.  piaget

• CCD-Freak likes this

#3648 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

“Dress like your telescope day“

A friend has loaned me a gorgeous C11 he hasn’t been using lately and I decided to do a shot like one Robert did with his Astroscan a while back.

attachicon.gif4EF401CE-0B46-4F4A-A290-447387050491.jpeg

Dave

I use to have a orange t-shirt. Just don't wear it if you go to Home Depot.

I remember the first time I did, I wondered why people were asking me for help?

• davidmcgo and Russell Smith like this

#3649 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

I was more concerned about going near any prison labor gangs and being pressed into service!

Dave

• Kasmos likes this

#3650 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:01 PM

The funny thing about the t-shirts. I didn't realize until I took the new photo that the old shirt also had a breast pocket. It make sense since back then all I ever wore were JC Penny Towncraft Pocket Tees.  lol.gif  

I remember them well.

• Kasmos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics