•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a Picture of Your Classic Telescope- with or without you!

• Please log in to reply
3906 replies to this topic

#3876 Katharine

Katharine

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:15 PM

Katharine,

The image below tells you how the altitude slow motion control rod is attached and how it works. When you have lets say the moon on your eyepiece field of view and it starts to drift out of the field you can move the telescope slowly up and down using the altitude slow motion control knob. I can see that your telescope also has a slow motion control for azimuth (moving it 360 degrees horizontally).

Check the focuser according to the image. If it doesn't work at all, the threads on the focuser tube may be gone. 

This telescope is easy carried in a duffle bag if you are careful to protect the optical tube.

The tripod is not a sturdy one. It can be steadied a bit by hanging a water bottle from the center of the accessory tray in a way that it doesn't sway much. If it's not windy the tripod will work ok.

These manuals are not for your telescope but may help.

https://wiki.telesco..._400_Manual.pdf

https://wiki.telesco...cope_Manual.pdf

Clear Skies!

Yes, it does also have the az slow-motion control-- I just didn't attach it this go-round.

Thanks for the pic and the manuals!  It had occurred to me that many of these scopes are similar enough that any manual I found on the 'net would likely be helpful.  That looks like a good site as well; I'd not seen it before.

If you mean a typical prism-based image erecting module, you need to start by unscrewing the sleeves sticking out of it on both sides. This allows you to remove the two covers and access the two prisms, which are easy to release from the sheet metal clamps and clean.

It appears to be?  But I don't see anything that looks like it's removable.  I'll need to play with it a little more.

Edited by Katharine, 07 June 2021 - 08:15 PM.

#3877 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:56 AM

It appears to be?  But I don't see anything that looks like it's removable.  I'll need to play with it a little more.

Just unscrew both sleeves - black and chrome - the rest will be simple :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210608_225031.jpg
  • 20210608_225102(1).jpg

Edited by LukaszLu, 08 June 2021 - 03:55 PM.

• Bomber Bob and LU1AR like this

#3878 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:18 AM

Katharine, nice find! The Old Faithful of astronomy, the 60mm f11. I have one, too.

The two screws holding the tube in the cradle will hold it, don't worry about it falling out. Mine never did. Just check them regularly.

The mounting points on the side of the tube are too far back, so the tube is unbalanced and wants to fall forward when you loosen the slow motion control. If it bothers you, you can add weights near the focuser to balance it.

Finding stuff will be an issue. The finders on these scopes are poor, and they wobble all over the place if touched. I replaced mine with a red dot finder. There are some that come with a flat mounting base with two holes, and the holes fit to the mounting screws of your finder. At least they fit mine, and I assume yours has the same base.

Don't use the sun filter. They have a nasty reputation for cracking.

So what can you see with it? A lot! The biggest problem with mine was the wobbly mount, the poor finder, and that the lowest power eyepiece gave 60x. The scope itself is fine.

You will be able to see the 5 main planets, open clusters, globulars, bright nebula, and double stars galore.

These are great little scopes and I hope you have a lot of fun with yours.
  • steve t, Bomber Bob and GreyDay like this

#3879 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:28 AM

For low-cost .965" accessories, I recommend Sheldon F's CN Ads:   https://www.cloudyni...ieds&mid=25634 

He's great to work with, and will dig through his inventory if you're looking for a particular doo-dad...

• mdowns likes this

#3880 sqrlman

sqrlman

Vostok 1

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:51 AM

and may I present, a Meade LX5 (I think?) from circa late 80s (I think?)

PXL_20210528_003639538-X3.jpg

PXL_20210528_003539715-X3.jpg

(yeah, yeah, very dusty, I can't find my duster paint brushes at the moment)

here's why I think its an LX5:

PXL_20210528_003652931-XL.jpg

That's an LX3. Check the secondary for coating failure.

Steve

• pierce, steve t, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#3881 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:08 AM

I'm not up on my vintage Meade's... What was special about the lx3 ? And, the secondary mirror, or do you mean the corrector plate?

#3882 sqrlman

sqrlman

Vostok 1

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:41 AM

If the plate on the rear of the OTA says "multicoated silver coatings group" the silver on the secondary could have failed. Look through the front of the telescope and you can see the secondary. Check for dark spots.

Steve

#3883 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:14 AM

ah, the back says "MULTICOATED OPTICS GROUP"

and, bright ring light and careful examination of the optics from the front, and after carefully cleaning the outside of the corrector, i can see there's some dust and haze on the /inside/ of the corrector, but both mirror surfaces look pristine.

i'll have to get this thing out on a clear night and star test it.

#3884 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:08 AM

Took a while to assemble, but I finally have an all 1980s Mizar Kit -- GT-80S + SP + MMD-III:

Mizar GT-80S 1st Setup S02 - FULL (RS).jpg

• CCD-Freak, R Botero, steve t and 12 others like this

#3885 Alex65

Alex65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 57.29*N 4.16*W

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:42 AM

Found this little vintage Prinz telescope the other day and bought it for $30.

IMG_0200 (800x757) (640x606).jpg

It appears to be a small 60mm refractor made by Kenko (Circle K mark) in the late 1960s or early 1970s. The Japanese Optics label has the red border around it which seems to date it towards the end of the 60s. The telescope has a variable eyepiece giving a magnification range of 15X, 30X, 45X and 60X. The optics seem decent enough. It appears to be a F7 refractor with a F/L around 400mm or so. I believe that Prinz was a trade name for small Japanese made telescopes sold by a British retailer 50 years ago. I suppose many a young amateur bought one of these as a starter telescope in those days. The body is all metal except for the little plate under the focuser. The wooden tripod seems sturdy enough.

IMG_0201 (434x640).jpg

While not exactly an astronomic telescope (it does gives good terrestrial views over my city) I aim to use it mainly for lunar observations and to project images of the sun onto card. I haven't as yet used it for lunar observations and look forwards to viewing the moon soon. I have, however, used it to project the solar disc, something I haven't done for 40 years.

Not sure whether it will provide good stellar views as I haven't used it yet due to the astronomic twilight up here in the North. I somehow doubt that it will due to the variable eyepiece and the simple Alt - Az mount. It certainly won't replace my little 4" reflector but, as already mentioned, I hope to use it for low power lunar work mostly.

• steve t, blakestree, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#3886 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:04 AM

Nice find. I suppose it has an erecting lens inside?

#3887 Alex65

Alex65

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2021 - 11:12 AM

Nice find. I suppose it has an erecting lens inside?

Hi,

Yes, it is a terrestrial 'scope so has an erecting lens to provide an upright image. I'm planning to use it for mostly lunar observing and it'll be great to use my 21st Century Atlas of the Moon without having to use it upside down!

#3888 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:27 AM

Such a lens probably gives a bit of additional chromatic aberration - I have not yet seen a terrestial spotting scope with a fixed eyepiece with variable magnification, which would not have a larger CA and slightly worse contrast than a classic refractor without additional optics. Perhaps it is worth trying to see if removing this lens does not improve the image quality if it is in doubt?

#3889 Tribe_Of_Dan

Tribe_Of_Dan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 07:14 AM

While I was in the 10th Marine Regiment, I may have.... uh.... "liberated" this telescope with it's very sturdy Alt-Az mount.  Does anyone know where I can get an eyepiece for it?

Attached Thumbnails

• broken_pig.jpg

• R Botero, steve t, deepwoods1 and 8 others like this

#3890 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:59 AM

Found this little vintage Prinz telescope the other day and bought it for $30.

attachicon.gifIMG_0200 (800x757) (640x606).jpg

It appears to be a small 60mm refractor made by Kenko (Circle K mark) in the late 1960s or early 1970s. The Japanese Optics label has the red border around it which seems to date it towards the end of the 60s. The telescope has a variable eyepiece giving a magnification range of 15X, 30X, 45X and 60X. The optics seem decent enough. It appears to be a F7 refractor with a F/L around 400mm or so. I believe that Prinz was a trade name for small Japanese made telescopes sold by a British retailer 50 years ago. I suppose many a young amateur bought one of these as a starter telescope in those days. The body is all metal except for the little plate under the focuser. The wooden tripod seems sturdy enough.

attachicon.gifIMG_0201 (434x640).jpg

While not exactly an astronomic telescope (it does gives good terrestrial views over my city) I aim to use it mainly for lunar observations and to project images of the sun onto card. I haven't as yet used it for lunar observations and look forwards to viewing the moon soon. I have, however, used it to project the solar disc, something I haven't done for 40 years.

Not sure whether it will provide good stellar views as I haven't used it yet due to the astronomic twilight up here in the North. I somehow doubt that it will due to the variable eyepiece and the simple Alt - Az mount. It certainly won't replace my little 4" reflector but, as already mentioned, I hope to use it for low power lunar work mostly.

The Sears varipower 60mm terrestrial telescope is very similar to this one. The optics are ok for lunar viewing. You may notice a bit more CA than usual. Medium to low powers are the best. Here's mine. I took it off eBay a long time ago. The finder is just a sighting tube with a crosshairs reticle.

Attached Thumbnails

• SearsTerrestTele.JPG

• steve t, Bomber Bob, mikerepp and 2 others like this

#3891 Alex65

Alex65

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:00 AM

The Sears varipower 60mm terrestrial telescope is very similar to this one. The optics are ok for lunar viewing. You may notice a bit more CA than usual. Medium to low powers are the best. Here's mine. I took it off eBay a long time ago. The finder is just a sighting tube with a crosshairs reticle.

Looks like a nice 'scope. Wish mine had a finder 'scope; may try and find a vintage one somewhere in future.

I actually took out my 'scope early this morning to look at Jupiter. The view was decent enough, saw the moons and some cloud belts. As you say, chromatic aberration was present around the disc but I can live with it. Haven't looked at the moon yet due to clouds. Optics are OK, nowhere as good as my AstroScan though. It does, however, give great terrestrial views.

Regarding changing the variable fixed eyepiece. No, I think that I'll leave the 60mm 'scope as it is and enjoy it for what it is, namely a 50 year old vintage department store telescope.

• oldmanastro likes this

#3892 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:14 AM

Regarding changing the variable fixed eyepiece. No, I think that I'll leave the 60mm 'scope as it is and enjoy it for what it is, namely a 50 year old vintage department store telescope.

All I meant was removing the erecting lens. I do not know how this eyepiece is constructed and, just like you, I would not try to modify it. It may also be that the lens forms one whole with the eyepiece.

• oldmanastro, Alex65 and Tribe_Of_Dan like this

#3893 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:40 AM

While I was in the 10th Marine Regiment, I may have.... uh.... "liberated" this telescope with it's very sturdy Alt-Az mount.  Does anyone know where I can get an eyepiece for it?

This little 7 x 50mm scope is a bit over mounted too.   I have the scope but I have not been able to find an original mount. (^8

tech-066_HACS_Figure-2.jpg

Ottway 7x50 HA Gun scope-3.JPG

• Jim Curry, R Botero, steve t and 6 others like this

#3894 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:44 AM

All I meant was removing the erecting lens. I do not know how this eyepiece is constructed and, just like you, I would not try to modify it. It may also be that the lens forms one whole with the eyepiece.

The eyepiece is a simple Huygens threaded into the draw tube. The focuser is just like the ones found in similar astronomical telescopes. It has the same travel. The erecting lens are located at the end of the draw tube about five inches from the eyepiece. The image shows the eyepiece and draw tube with the powers engraved on it. To modify it as an astronomical telescope the draw tube must be removed and I guess that a diagonal could slide into the focuser tube itself. A small threaded hole and a thumbscrew would have to be added in order to hold the diagonal in place. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Varipower.JPG

• steve t, Alex65 and LukaszLu like this

#3895 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:05 AM

I salute you for your service! 10th Reg. was part of the 2nd Marine Division. My Dad was a ‘doc’ with the 2nd Marines in the battles of Saipan and Tinian in the Pacific in WWII.

Attached Thumbnails

• 15A8B507-8172-4D64-9D16-3CD4C7348BCA.jpeg

• stevew, CCD-Freak, astro140 and 10 others like this

#3896 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:12 PM

my dad too was USMC,  V Amphibious, 5th Marine Division, landed on Iwo Jima in the 2nd wave on the first day, as the corporal of a mortar squad.

IMG_20180225_123001-XL.jpg

• CCD-Freak, R Botero, steve t and 9 others like this

#3897 michael h

michael h

Vostok 1

• Loc: Crestwood, KY

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:38 PM

Two true American Heroes pictured above.  An old friend of mine also landed on Saipan and Tinian  with the 2nd Marines.  He rarely talked about the war but one night he did reveal that as soon as he was back in the states he hit the bars in San Diego.   Came out of one and walked right in to the street and was hit by a Buick and it nearly killed him.

As a result he said that Japanese Admiral Yamamoto never could get him but General Motors almost did.

Mike H

USMC  1971-1975

• CCD-Freak, R Botero, steve t and 4 others like this

#3898 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:52 PM

We love our dads/war heros but geez guys, this ain't Facebook.

• Augustus, Bowlerhat and Tribe_Of_Dan like this

#3899 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:57 PM

We love our dads/war heros but geez guys, this ain't Facebook.

Let's start a new thread!  There are some Dad's I'd love to honor.

Edited by Garyth64, 15 June 2021 - 02:57 PM.

• John Rogers, Terra Nova and Tribe_Of_Dan like this

#3900 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Quick setup video of me and the Cave.  Love this thing and love this weather!

https://www.facebook...05144272836362/

• shredder1656 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics