•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I stumbled into a Celestron 8" SCT

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern KY

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

DSC02049.JPG    DSC02050.JPG

I think it's a classic.   I low-balled the offer at $50, he said "Oh, yeah!  Would you like a weed-wacker to go with it?"

Edited by Tenacious, 28 May 2016 - 11:24 AM.

• Deven Matlick, Live_Steam_Mad, sgorton99 and 6 others like this

#2 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

DSC02051.JPG   DSC02052.JPG

Edited by Tenacious, 28 May 2016 - 11:10 AM.

• Deven Matlick, Live_Steam_Mad, Marc-Andre and 2 others like this

#3 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

You'll have that lookin' like new in short order . At least it's an easy color match ;)  

• Deven Matlick, Geo31 and paulymo like this

#4 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

DSC02055.JPG   DSC02054.JPG

I seem to be becoming one of you.   :lol:

I just brought this home 20 minutes ago from an estate sale.  There are no prominent labels or model numbers.  Of the items unique to this system, it appears that only the hand controller is missing.  The optics appear to be in decent shape.

Edited by Tenacious, 28 May 2016 - 04:54 PM.

• Deven Matlick, rolo, Live_Steam_Mad and 5 others like this

#5 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

What on Earth do people do to these poor scopes? Do they just leave them outside for years? I cannot even imagine how you can get that degree of rust and corrosion on a telescope unless you really tried hard! So sad!

Well, you can start to resurrect it. Hats off to you!
  • Deven Matlick, rolo, madeline and 6 others like this

#6 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

As long as the optics are good its all that really matters.

• Live_Steam_Mad, Bomber Bob and Tenacious like this

#7 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

attachicon.gifDSC02055.JPG  attachicon.gifDSC02054.JPG

I seem to be becoming one of you.   :lol:

Welcome ! :bow: .....  https://www.youtube....h?v=rZru_TywyME

• Tenacious likes this

#8 paulymo

paulymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

I cannoteven imagine how you can get that degree of rust and corrosion on a telescope unless you really tried hard!

Very true.  But getting that degree of rust and corrosion without getting any noticible damage to the corrector--that's off-the-charts effort.  Corrector is great but the OTA is bad--it's like the previous owner was some Bizarro-UPS delivery guy.  And using duct tape as his pricing sticker of choice was the coup de gras.

Tenacious--clean up the optics and flock it if you must but my vote would be to leave the rest exactly as is.  I mean anybody can have a vintage SCT in mint condition...but how many have a natural beauty like this out in the field?

Paul

Edited by paulymo, 28 May 2016 - 04:12 PM.

• Deven Matlick, madeline, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#9 Ben H

Ben H

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

Leave it somewhere hot, humid, and covered. You'll avoid any real significant damage, but see the pitting and flaking here. 

• Deven Matlick likes this

#10 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

You'll have that lookin' like new in short order . At least it's an easy color match ;)  

The summer project list is long (build a couple of out-buildings, erect the pool, take out the dead Ash trees, turn the basement into living space, etc).  We know the man who was selling it for the estate, he is a follow parishioner.  He was coaching me with the words I should use to get this accepted as another family member.

I honestly have too many irresistable projects, including the Tasco 10TE.   This one will have to wait for a stretch of indoor weather, or more likely, be done in small chunks when I have the house to myself.   :grin:    This has got to be my last telescope!  I went from 2 to 5 in the last 7 months, plus 3 sons also have them.  Fortunately, the eldest has his own residence.

Edited by Tenacious, 28 May 2016 - 08:21 PM.

• Deven Matlick, TOM KIEHL, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#11 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

"This has got to be my last telescope!"

Ah, yes!  The common refrain on this forum.  Good luck with that.

• Deven Matlick, orion61, A6Q6 and 9 others like this

#12 Deven Matlick

Deven Matlick

Vendor - Criterion Machine Co. LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Moatsville, WV

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

What on Earth do people do to these poor scopes? Do they just leave them outside for years? I cannot even imagine how you can get that degree of rust and corrosion on a telescope unless you really tried hard! So sad!

Well, you can start to resurrect it. Hats off to you!

Our acid dew will do that here in West Virginia because COAL, because jobzzzzz (not really), because money, because bankers in NY and London want it all and are willing to corrode and poison us all to death to get it all! :rant:

• Joe Bergeron and Tenacious like this

#13 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:53 PM

What a great deal, those here know how I love to keep scopes original but on these situations you could get REALLY Creative!

You guys see a YUUK too bad situation, I see a remarkable opportunity to be creative and create a scope known World Wide!

I wonder how a C8 Tube would look like as a Barber Pole?

Glow in the Dark Paint! Fluorescent paint with small Black lights hidden cleverly! Oh MY I could have a GREAT Time. I might even be tempted to get my Air Brush out and do a Questar/ETX Premier paint job. I say go for it, Make it yours. 

One good thing is that scope was made in about 1990-93 and is off of the fresh Celestron Master Blocks! I have seen those Celestars hit 97 Strehl! The secondary housing is more than likely loose, so be careful with it.

Think about the Fork Mount sanded and polished, left bright and shiny! The tube painted a Candy Apple Red! Or an Ultra Clean Bright Yellow

Tube with smooth bright front and rear cells...

Edited by orion61, 28 May 2016 - 11:58 PM.

• Vesper818, TOM KIEHL, walter a and 2 others like this

#14 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vannes - France

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:35 AM

What a shame! The original owner should be sued for telescope abuse...

As we are used to say in France, your have "some bread on the board" (du pain sur la planche) meaning a lot of work waiting for you but, no doubt you will enjoy the final result.

Alain.

• Live_Steam_Mad, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 3 others like this

#15 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

What a great deal, those here know how I love to keep scopes original but on these situations you could get REALLY Creative!

You guys see a YUUK too bad situation, I see a remarkable opportunity to be creative and create a scope known World Wide!

I wonder how a C8 Tube would look like as a Barber Pole?

Glow in the Dark Paint! Fluorescent paint with small Black lights hidden cleverly! Oh MY I could have a GREAT Time. I might even be tempted to get my Air Brush out and do a Questar/ETX Premier paint job. I say go for it, Make it yours. 

One good thing is that scope was made in about 1990-93 and is off of the fresh Celestron Master Blocks! I have seen those Celestars hit 97 Strehl! The secondary housing is more than likely loose, so be careful with it.

Think about the Fork Mount sanded and polished, left bright and shiny! The tube painted a Candy Apple Red! Or an Ultra Clean Bright Yellow

Tube with smooth bright front and rear cells...

I think this is a C8+ (introduced in 1994?) so not as old as I originally thought.  I guess this model was not made for very long because computerized goto slewing came out just a few rears later?  The drive runs from a single 9VDC battery and not those hard-to-find 2VDC lead-acid batteries.  I think the hand controller is a simple 4 switch box, I can probably make a functional substitute if they turn out to be rare.

Orion61,  you could be a corrupting influence on me!    :grin:    I haven't had it under the stars yet, but I hope the optical quality matches your expectations.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#16 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

It's a Celestar

• Deven Matlick and Tenacious like this

#17 orion61

orion61

• Vendors

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

"Orion61,  you could be a corrupting influence on me!    :grin:    I haven't had it under the stars yet, but I hope the optical quality matches your expectations."

If you are going to have to paint it anyway, why make it Boring again?

I mean there were a Million VW Rabbits made, if it's been wrecked why not make one that bounces?

• Deven Matlick, madeline, Tenacious and 1 other like this

#18 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

Orion61 is indeed a healthily corrupting influence on us all, because he knows these scopes so well. If he says yours is likely an optical winner, then you can thank the seller's lack of care of the cosmetics to have lead to its being priced so well, paint her pretty or leave her a wreak, and appreciate that you just found a scope nearly for free that will compare at the eyepiece with a new, $1,000+ telescope. 

It won't be your last telescope, but it will become a workhorse of your arsenal. 

• Deven Matlick, Brent Campbell and Tenacious like this

#19 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

It's a Celestar

Since you posted this, I started looking at Celestars on the net, too.  I'm getting that Celestron's model number scheme might have had some overlap or some ambiguity.  I suppose it doesn't matter too much provided there is a way forward with bringing it back and that it performs well.

It does appear that the hand controller and Dec. motor were options.   I did find a schematic for the hand controller, it's easy enough.

Edited by Tenacious, 29 May 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#20 orion61

orion61

• Vendors

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

It's a Celestar

Since you posted this, I started looking at Celestars on the net, too.  I'm getting that Celestron's model number scheme might have had some overlap or some ambiguity.  I suppose it doesn't matter too much provided there is a way forward with bringing it back and that it performs well.

It does appear that the hand controller and Dec. motor were options.   I did find a schematic for the hand controller, it's easy enough.

Yes they were cheaply made options, If you make one, to get it off of guiding rate, push and hold the W button and push the E button, it will put it into either 16 or 32X Slew

You can tell the Celestar because they had Heavy Knurled Focus and control knobs, a single Cheap Plastic Dec setting circle, and an Aluminum carrying handle. The Celestar Deluxe had a better tripod, selectable guide rates, and Periodic Error Correcton PEC, but they were sent out with a defective chip so that function was useless the 1st year of production. That is OK the Optics made up for it. I have yet to see a Celestar that was anything worse than EX optically!

• Deven Matlick, Live_Steam_Mad and Tenacious like this

#21 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

It looks to me that you have a Celestar with a wedgepod (as others have stated)     General opinion the mount is light but not the best fork that Celestron ever made (no polar  adjustment)..  Generally though the optics are well thought of.  

You will get lots of opinions on the board so please don't take this wrong.  I would say the OTA is well worth the efforts to restore  even the diagonal but I would be calling scopestuff to get a dovetail to defork that sucker.   Forget the mount.  If the electronics still work you can sell them to someone who needs them to make the it mount work.  (Disclaimer I might be interested because the c8 ultimas electronics may be similar to the celestar and I would like a spare)  

There are so many pristine c8s that people modify and effectively ruin their authenticity.   Usually this means parting it out and deforking.  Here you have no authenticity.  What freedom!  And yes you did really well with that sale!   

• Live_Steam_Mad and Tenacious like this

#22 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

Deforking was my thought when I first saw this scope. The OTA looks like it wouldn't be too hard to bring back into good working shape, but the mount looks as though it might have seen better days.

Bill

• Tenacious likes this

#23 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:50 PM

If, as the sign written on the seller's duct tape claims, the mount works perfectly, then use it as is for a while. Test both the mount and optics, without expending any other effort first. After you see how well you like (or hate!) observing with this mount, it will be clear whether to use it forever as is, make it sparkle, or defork the tube and sell the rest for scrap. 

• Tenacious and Augustus like this

#24 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

This is my first SCT.   My son has the 9.25" on a rail (Orion's Ultima clone) on a GEM, and it's a horse to set up.  But, it is a heavier OTA, who knew another 1.25" of aperture could make such a difference.

The wedge/pod seems to function, it's just cosmetically challenged.  Also, I don't currently have another ride for this OTA.  While I will keep my eye open for a suitable GEM, I want to at least experience the fork mount (I've never used one before).  Part of the reason I was drawn to this system was the sudden realization that operating it would be a different experience to the Dobsonians and GEM-mounted refractors I already have.  Last year, the refractors were an eye-opening change on familiar targets, maybe this will be, too.    :waytogo:

Was there a kit to upgrade the wedge/pod to a unit with adjustable azimuth?

Edited by Tenacious, 29 May 2016 - 09:07 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#25 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:05 PM

This is my first SCT.   My son has the 9.25" on a rail (Orion's Ultima clone) on a GEM, and it's a horse to set up.  But, it is a heavier OTA, who knew another 1.25" of aperture could make such a difference.

The wedge/pod seems to function, it's just cosmetically challenged.  Also, I don't currently have another ride for this OTA.  While I will keep my eye open for a suitable GEM, I want to at least experience the fork mount (I've never used one before).  Part of the reason I was drawn to this system was the sudden realization that operating it would be a different experience to the Dobsonians and GEM-mounted refractors I already have.  Last year, the refractors were an eye-opening change on familiar targets, maybe this will be, too.    :waytogo:

Was there a kit to upgrade the wedge/pod to a unit with adjustable azimuth?

See "uncle rods used sct buyers guide".   I don't think there was any upgrade kit.  Best answer is find another fork.  The problem I see with using this fork as a way to see if you like fork mounts....no offense but the celestar is probably the worst example of a fork mount!  It may give you an unjustified hate for fork mounts!  

Anyway, if I were you I would be concerned that you would spend more trying g to fix this thing than just getting a different mount..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics