•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MoonPanoramaMaker released as Open Source Software

astrophotography moon
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

Dear John, dear Jon,

Thank you very much for your replies to my last posting, and for sending me the "Dependency Walker" output and PyQt4 search results. It is strange that the Dependency Walker found more unresolved references in your case than in mine, although we both installed the same software.

Both Windows machines I successfully tested the software on do not have the "Fall Creators Update" installed yet, so I cannot tell if there are any issues related to that. John B: Does your Windows 10 have the update installed as well?

Another idea which came to my mind: Did you both de-install the previous MoonPanoramaMaker before installing version 0.9.5? I never tried what happens if one installs the new version over an older one, but that certainly could cause trouble.

I'm afraid I will need some time to find the reason for the problem. Because of my recent surgery I will have to stay home for the next two weeks, so I cannot discuss the issue with programming experts at the institute. I will do so as soon as possible. In the meantime I hope that you can use the previous MoonPanoramaMaker version 0.9.3.

I'm sorry for the inconveniences caused by my software update! As soon as I know more, I will let you know.

All the best,

Rolf

#27 JonOz

JonOz

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

Hi Rolf,

Did I install over the top of an older version of MPM? Good question.

I am so used to automatically installing new versions of software directly over older versions that I cannot answer that with certainty.

If I did uninstall first, then I might have done so using the Windows 'Unintall a Program' utility instead of the one that came with MPM.

Sorry to be so unclear but I installed and uninstalled (then using MPM uninstall) several times in order to get it to work.

Jon

#28 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:08 AM

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply!

I just tested on one of my Windows 10 machines what happens if one installs a new version on top of an older one. The result: the new version seemed to work just fine. The only problem was that uninstalling the new version afterwards using the MPM uninstaller left some data garbage from the old version on the Windows C partition. I could clean that up by manually deleting the "MoonPanoramaMaker" folder in "Program Files (x86)". So, not a big deal. Nevertheless, I recommend uninstalling an old version first before installing a new one.

Unfortunately, it seems that this was not the cause of your problem. I will continue investigating the issue.

In the meantime it would be nice to hear from other users if they were successful / unsuccessful in starting MPM 0.9.5 on their machines. Please do not forget to include the version of your operating system in your postings. Thanks!

All the best,

Rolf

#29 jberman

jberman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hi so i removed 0.9.5 and checked the folder had really gone and then installed 0.9.2 but get the same errors

Im on

Windows 10

Ver 1709

0S Build 16299.64

John B

#30 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for this additional test.

The first thing I noticed is that you - as Jon Partlett - have installed the major Windows 10 "Fall Creators Update", whereas both Windows 10 machines on which I tested the software don't have that update installed. So far no other Windows 10 user posted his or her experience with the MPM installation. Jon Parlett, however, mentioned that the previous MPM version ran correctly on his Windows 10 before the OS update, whereas you do not get the pre-previous version 0.9.2 to work any more on your updated system. So, after all, the problem could be associated with the OS update. I'm tempted to update one of my machines to OS version 1709 to see if the problem shows up here as well.

Is anybody out there with a Windows 10 without the "Fall Creators Update"? If so, it would be very helpful if you could install MPM 0.9.5 and start the program. Since the problem arises directly at program startup (before the GUI opens), you do not have to get all the ASCOM stuff installed for the test. If the GUI opens, the problem is not present. You can un-install the software afterwards easily by using the un-installer provided by MPM.

All the best,

Rolf

#31 JonOz

JonOz

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Hi Rolf,

In an attempt to help you find the cause of the problem I thought that I would look at the files as they are installed in Program Files (x86). Now I am not a programmer so I am well aware that anything I might find as curious or strange may be perfectly OK. In other words I risk showing my ignorance, but still, it might be helpful. So here goes;

I have found a zip folder;
C:\Program files (x86)\MoonPanoramaMaker\dist\library.zip

It contains many subfolders. Pardon my ignorance, but should this have been expanded?

If it would be helpful in any way I could take a ‘snapshots’ for you of the installed files within any folders that you might wish to look at. I am thinking here of simply comparing what is installed to what should be installed.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Jon

#32 JonOz

JonOz

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

Hi Rolf,

Whoops! I think that I can now see that library.zip has been expanded into the collect-2.7 folder. My bad.

Jon

#33 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:02 AM

Hi Jon,

I very much appreciate your help in finding the Windows 10 problem, but the zip file you found in the dist folder is completely okay.

While I'm writing this, on my Windows 10 computer a backup of the system partition is being saved. I will then install the "Fall Creators Update" to see what happens to MoonPanoramaMaker. If I will see the same error as you did, we will know that the Windows update caused the problem.

Stay tuned!

All the best,

Rolf

#34 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

Hi Jon, hi John,

I removed MoonPanoramaMaker from my workstation and updated Windows 10 to version 1709 ("Fall Creators Update"). This update really seems to be a major one: it took some three hours to complete on my computer! I then installed MoonPanoramaMaker again and tried running the program. The result: I got the same error as you reported!

In a sense this is good news. We now know for sure that the problem is related to the Windows update. I have no idea yet how to resolve the issue, but at least I now can reproduce the error on my machine. I will let you know as soon as I know more.

In the meantime all one could do is to revert to Windows 10 version 1703, but I guess that this is not an option for you.

All the best,

Rolf

#35 JonOz

JonOz

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the update. The fact that you can now reproduce the problem confirms my earlier suspicion about Win 10 1709.

I am sure that you can track it down.

Yes, I think that I am stuck with 1709.

Jon

#36 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:06 AM

Hi Windows 10 users,

I found a fix to the problem related to the Windows 10 update:

1. Install MoonPanoramaMaker as usual.
  2. Right-click on the MPM starter icon, in the opening context menu choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility".
  3. From there on the dialog is somewhat dependent on what happened before. Somehow you will be able to specify to run the program in compatibility mode (Windows 7, 8 or Vista). If possible, choose Windows 7.
  4. After pressing "next", press the button "test the program". MoonPanoramaMaker should start as usual. You can try the workflow a bit and then stop the program by closing the main window.
  5. The compatibility checker now will ask you if the problem was fixed. Click on "Yes, save the settings for this program". The troubleshooter will search a while for additional issues and then say "Troubleshooting has completed".
  6. Close the trobleshooter. From now on, you can start MoonPanoramaMaker as before.

I hope this fix works on your computer as well. Please let me know.

All the best,

Rolf

#37 JonOz

JonOz

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hi Rolf,

Thank you for posting this. The program now seems to be fine but I cannot fully test it at this time since the moon has now moved to below the western horizon, but it looks OK.

A few observations;

I have a Takahashi mount so I changed the Hub to ‘Temma by Takahashi’ (without the suffix '.Telescope') instead of POTH.Telescope in Configuration.  Is that OK?

The User Guide says; ‘The hub which is set in the configuration dialog is preselected’, however the ASCOM telescope chooser  does not select what is set in configuration (it is blank).

Being in the southern hemisphere I placed a minus sign in front of my latitude. Is that correct?

Otherwise I should now familiarise myself more with the program.
Thank you again for sorting this out.
Jon

#38 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:41 AM

Hi Jon,

I'm relieved that we resolved the Windows update problem, and that the program seems to work correctly on your machines now.

I don't know if you have already familiarized yourself with the program, using the ASCOM telescope simulator and Stellarium planetarium program (see this thread, starting with May 5, 2016, for details). If not, I strongly recommend doing so, because this way you will find out how to handle the program before fiddling with the specialties of your mount.

Only when everything works using the simulator, you should consider connecting to the real telescope mount. For this to work you will have to install the ASCOM driver for your mount. Unfortunately, there is no official ASCOM driver for Takahashi Temma, and the third-party development for this mount is discontinued. Anyway, you should install that driver and see if it shows up in the ASCOM profile explorer (which comes with the ASCOM Platform 6 installation). If Takahashi Temma is missing, there is something wrong with the driver installation.

As to the HUB to use, I would stay with POTH.telescope (you see this name in the list of telescope drivers shown by the ASCOM profile explorer). When the POTH window comes up after MPM startup, you should be able to choose your Takahashi Temma driver and configure it there.

All these ASCOM things do not have anything to do with MoonPanoramaMaker. You can get all this running as well by connecting a planetarium program via ASCOM with the POTH.telescope hub, and from there to your mount. This is what I would do, becuase it is always better to work on one problem at a time, rather than putting everything together immediately. If you have problems with ASCOM, you should consider contacting an ASCOM forum for help. I'm not an expert in all the different ASCOM telescope drivers.

And yes: the minus sign before your latitude is correct. I have never tested MPM in the southern hemisphere, but I hope it will work there as well. I'm not aware of any algorithmic detail where I tacitly assumed being north of the equator.

All the best,

Rolf

#39 JonOz

JonOz

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:27 AM

Hi Rolf,

I understand now about keeping POTH.Telescope as the hub. It was just that Temma By Takahashi was also supposed to be a hub as well as a telescope driver. It always appeared when I clicked on the drop down menu on the ASCOM Telescope Chooser.

I have now gone back to POTH.Telescope on the Hub Configuration. Temma By Takahashi now appears preselected in the scope chooser. I will investigate the simulator as you suggest.

With all the trials on running the software there has been a number of entries in the moon_panorama_maker.exe.log file.

Is the only way to clear these by uninstalling and doing a clean install of MPM?

Thank you again,

Jon

#40 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hi Jon,

I'm glad that you are making progress in getting MPM to run in your environment. In a sense it is an anachronism that MPM connects to an ASCOM hub instead of the driver directly. In very early MPM versions you had to connect a planetarium software with the driver in parallel to MPM. You had to choose the landmark in the planetarium view of the moon rather than selecting it from a list in MPM. Therefore, I had to place a hub between the telescope driver and MPM + planetarium. I know that many ASCOM drivers accept more than one connection and can thus serve as a hub as well. Since I only used POTH so far, however, that's the safest bet.

No, you don't have to re-install MPM to get rid of old protocol file entries. You can just use an editor to delete sections of the file, move the file to some "archive" place, or just delete the whole file. The next time MPM is started, it looks for the file in your home directory. If it finds one, it appends the new protocol to it. Otherwise it starts a new file. Very easy!

Good luck with your experiments!

All the best,

Rolf

#41 jberman

jberman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:48 AM

Rolf

Apologies for a slow update - I followed the instructions and it does now run - so I will be testing it all out using the simulator as suggested in the thread somewhere and then on to the real test - thanks for you patience and I hope you have a great Christmas and new year

John

#42 jberman

jberman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

Spoke to soon mad.gif

Stellarium and Stellarium Scope are working fine together however when I run the program Im propmpted to select the Landmark I do but it says slewing and nothing happens

The log show the follwoing

Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.pyc", line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "telescope.pyc", line 141, in run
  File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 95, in Dispatch
  File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 114, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
  File "win32com\client\dynamic.pyc", line 91, in _GetGoodDispatch
com_error: (-2146959355, 'Server execution failed', None, None)

Pointers appreciated as always

John B

#43 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:24 AM

Hi John,

This again is an ASCOM problem. MoonPanoramaMaker does not get a connection to the ASCOM server (which in this case is POTH + Simulator). Something must be wrong with the POTH / Simulator configuration. Which ASCOM platform version do you use? If it is the latest (6.3), it is a little tricky to configure it correctly. I had a lengthy discussion on this with another user, unfortunately on a personal note exchange, so that others could not see it. Here is a part of our discussion which needs attention:

-------------------------------------------------------

... Today I installed the new MoonPanoramaMaker version from scratch on a Windows 10 system. First I installed the ASCOM Platform 6.3 there, followed by my software. When I started MPM connected to the ASCOM simulator, I got the same error messages as you reported. The error message said something like "wrong tracking state".

I opened the new "Profile Explorer" which comes with the ASCOM Platform. There you can set all kinds of parameters. In the "Telescope Drivers" section I checked two entries, ASCOM.Simulator.Telescope

msg-258431-0-62418200-1509091957_thumb.p

and ScopeSim.Telescope

msg-258431-0-05310700-1509091997_thumb.p

In both tables I changed the "AutoTrack" field from False to True. This made the trick! When I now started MoonPanoramaMaker, choosing "Simulator" as the driver in POTH, everything worked fine.

I was glad to see that MoonPanoramaMaker is doing fine, and that it's just the ASCOM configuration which needs some attention. I hope that this works on your side as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that this helps in your case as well.

It's really a pity: Almost all MPM user problems are related to the ASCOM setup and configuration. Unfortunately, there are so many things that can go wrong therre that it is very hard for me to find a solution for each individual case. Sorry if I cannot be of much help here.

I hope that you have a great Christmas (in spite of the ASCOM hassle), and I wish you all the best for the New Year!

All the best,

Rolf

#44 avzaid

avzaid

Sputnik

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Hi Rolf,

Will your software work on capturing the Sun surface (mosaic) using Lunt60Ha solar scope please?

#45 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:12 AM

Hi Avzaid,

No, the software targets the moon only. In the case of the sun the creation of panoramas makes little sense. If we are talking about high-resolution imaging, the whole panorama would have to be captured within three minutes or so. Otherwise the changes of the sun's surface would make panorama building impossible. If less resolution is required, the whole sun can be captured in a single video.

Therefore, the moon is the only object where a software like MoonPanoramaMaker is needed for high-resolution panoramas.

Best wishes,

Rolf

#46 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

Finally I released MoonPanoramaMaker Version 1.0. You can download it from Github.

The most important improvements are:

• The program is much more stable now. It should be hard to crash it. Most user errors are caught, and meaningful error messages are issued.
  • Apart from the Windows version (which runs on Windows 7,8 and 10) there now is a Linux version (tested on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). It uses INDI instead of ASCOM.
  • The user interface has improved considerably.

For details please look at the user guide which you can download at the link given above.

Feedback is very welcome!

Best Wishes,

Rolf

• Oleg Astro and xb39 like this

#47 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albufeira, Portugal

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

I want to add this software to INDI clients list on site http://indilib.org/about/clients.html

#48 Rolf

Rolf

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:02 AM

Hi Oleh,

That's a good idea! Feel free to add MPM to the list.

All the best,

Rolf

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics