•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 5 for Android?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#51 chbrandt

chbrandt

Explorer 1

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

Wondering if anyone has got an update on this?  The end of the month has come and gone, plus another week, and still no SS5 for Android.  If my memory serves me correctly, SS5 has been out on iOS for 6 months...I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

#52 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

We are hoping to release early next week.  It has been in beta testing for the past two weeks.

#53 Jack Day

Jack Day

Ranger 4

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Jack,

SkySafari 5 for Android will be out at the end of the month (fingers crossed).  I would wait to purchase although we generally try to refund your money if you bought the old version within one month of when the new one comes out.

We do support the NGC Max.  It will show you on-screen where the scope is pointing.

Hi Bill,

I had purchased Ski Safari 4 Plus in late July for my android phone as I really wanted to use it during the Table Mountain Star Party. I still have not been able to get it (bluetooth) to work with my NGC Max computer, but now have more time to mess with it. One of my observing buddies did buy the SkyFi adapter, and it worked really well with his iPad mini.  Anyway, last night I purchased the Pro Version of SF5, and was wondering if I might still be able to get some credit towards the SF4 purchase.  

Also, as mentioned in afew of my other posts, I am about at the end of my rope trying to get the BlueTooth communication to work.   At this point I am fairly certain the bluetooth adapter is not the problem, but I may buy one of the SkyBT adapters remove all doubt.

Is there any requirements for the NGC Max style boxes for them to communicate?  As in my understanding is that it pretty much just needs to be turned on.  For testing purposes, is simply having the encoders connected to the NGC Max enough or do you have to level/vertical the scope first before attempting to connect?

Thanks,

Jack

#54 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

Jack,

Please open a support ticket with your request for a refund or partial refund.  We do try to help you out if you bought the previous version within a month of the new release.

https://support.simu...com/tickets/new

If you don't have SkyBT, you need to make sure the serial parameters are what the mount requires (baud rate, parity, stop bits, etc).  With SkyBT we are able to program the device automatically.

I'm not real familiar with the NGC Max.  You might need to step through one or more initialization screens before the device is ready to talk to an external program.  Check your manual.

You can certainly test basic connectivity during the day.  You do not need to level the mount.  SkySafari deals with the non-levelness.

#55 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hi all,

I just checked and it looks like its in the Google Play store today - https://play.google....safari 5&c=apps

1/2 price as promised - purchasing and downloading now!  Woo hoo!!!!!   :waytogo:  :bow:  :applause:  :bounce:  :banjodance:

Timm

#56 Lee D

Lee D

Apollo

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hi all,

I just checked and it looks like its in the Google Play store today - https://play.google....safari 5&c=apps

1/2 price as promised - purchasing and downloading now!  Woo hoo!!!!!   :waytogo:  :bow:  :applause:  :bounce:  :banjodance:

Timm

Thanks for the tip! Purchased SS 5 Pro at half price and downloading now to my Nexus 7.

I have family that uses Amazon Fire tablets. I see SS4 is on that store, but SS5 isn't there yet. I hope it arrives in the next few days.

#57 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:29 PM

We are no longer planning on having SkySafari on the Kindie Store.  To few downloads for the effort.  Instead, we are going to try to make the version on Google Play run on Kindle.

#58 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

SS 5 Pro was the first app installed on my very first smart phone, a new Nexus 5x. This is my first Android copy as I use the same app on my iPad mini. Glad to have it on both devices.

#59 danner

danner

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:32 PM

At sundown tonight my tablet started beeping at me. I woke it up and saw SS was letting me know the ISS was about to come into view. I ran outside and watched it fly across the sky for a few minutes until it passed under mars and disappeared into the trees in my neighbors yard. Very neat! Cool feature.

Edited by danner, 17 August 2016 - 10:33 PM.

#60 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:32 AM

I just installed SS5 Pro on my not-so-new Sony Xperia Z Ultra.

After one failed install (it kept hanging at 98% in the Google Play download page), I canceled that and re-installed it from Play and then it succeeded.

And it allows importing the SS4 Pro data automatically (with user prompt) which is not done on the iOS version, where I had to use the cumbersome manual way with iTunes.

It is blazingly fast and snappy, must faster than SS4 Pro. It starts almost instantly.
The only cons are (which were already in ealrlier versions) the very strongly 100% color saturated planets (a bright red Mars and hard yellow Saturn) and the very dark Moon.

Maybe some questions will arise, but it is great work done !

EDIT: Where are the skysets and the sky panoramas stored ?
I cannot find it on the /sdcard and the old ones of SS4 are not updated anymore.

Edited by skysurfer, 21 August 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#61 roelb

roelb

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

Downloading a DSS image doesn't work on my:

- Samsung Galaxy S 5 mini running Android V.5.1.1

- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM T315-2 running Android V.4.2.2

- Samsung Galaxy S 3 mini running Android V.4.1.2

#62 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

This seems to be a problem related to the Samsung Galaxy devices.  I believe it is a bug in their version of Android but I haven't found a work around for it.  I will try to get a fix out as soon as I can find one.

#63 danner

danner

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

If it helps, my Galaxy Tab S2 running Marshmallow 6.0.1 downloads the DSS images ok.

#64 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:04 AM

So, a question about the screen brightness function in settings/appearance. I have this in my iOS version, but I cannot find it in the new Android 5 Pro version. Am I missing it, or is it just not in the Android version?

#65 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

It is not in the Android version.  Android screens can be dimmed enough using the regular Android settings.

#66 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

It is not in the Android version.  Android screens can be dimmed enough using the regular Android settings.

Thanks, Bill.

#67 swsantos

swsantos

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

Sky Safari 5 Pro awesome as expected thanks!

Feature request (don't know if this is the proper venue for this sorry if it's not):

Ability to default to a specific first alignment star. I always use Polaris as my first alignment star and I would be nice if after connecting to my telescope that Polaris was already centered highlighted and ready to be aligned with instead of the screen just showing south. I actually align my telescope with Polaris before I even connect to it with SS5 and I will bet that's not an uncommon work flow.

I know that the Sky and Telescope integration is there and it's nice but it would also be cool if the tonight at a glance feature had other interesting things besides planets and satellites and even more cool if notifications could be set up to let us know about unique events say the day before.

Thanks,

Steve

#68 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Thanks, Bill.

I use an app called Screendim Full.  I think its 99 cents.  It allows me to adjust bother the brightness and contrast as well as save the settings for future use.  The same author, a member of CN, also has the Omega Centauri Gingerbread keyboard which has a red screen option, it use it too..

Jon 

#69 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

Does ScreenDim Full work on non-rooted devices? And does it dim even the off-screen buttons (home, back, etc.)?

Thanks.

#70 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:42 AM

Does ScreenDim Full work on non-rooted devices? And does it dim even the off-screen buttons (home, back, etc.)?

Thanks.

It works on non rooted devices and it does dim the buttons, at least it does on my Nexus 5 phone and my Nexus 7 tablet.  There is a trial version which gives you a free three day trial.

Jon

#71 slack

slack

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

So, I waited and waited for this new release and the 1/2 price sale to purchase Sky Safari 5 Pro (for Android) for the first time. I was checking this forum weekly throughout spring and well into summer, and past the originally forecasted release date... Then I ended up otherwise occupied and traveling this past month, and have apparently missed the release and sale price. I can't rationalize the purchase now. Frustrating. 

#72 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

Slack,

Sorry you missed it.  If you join our mailing list you will hear of future sales.  Go to www.skysafariastronomy.com and wait 5 second for the popup at the bottom to join the list.

Bill

#73 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

So, I waited and waited for this new release and the 1/2 price sale to purchase Sky Safari 5 Pro (for Android) for the first time. I was checking this forum weekly throughout spring and well into summer, and past the originally forecasted release date... Then I ended up otherwise occupied and traveling this past month, and have apparently missed the release and sale price. I can't rationalize the purchase now. Frustrating. 

That's a bummer - its very good, and has some really nice added features and improvements from version 4.  I have purchased both at the sale price, and they do sometimes have other sales, so signing up for the emails is a great idea (I just did that now).  It was talked about so much, that you must have really gotten busy to have missed it.  Here's another tip.  You can also "Follow" this topic or others in CN using the links at the top of each post, turning on or off any thread you want to keep an eye on.

If you are interested in doing surveys, in exchange for Google Store credit, there is an app called Google Opinion Rewards that pays small amounts of credits (usually in the .10 to .50 range) which is only a suggestion, but I have earned enough in a year to pay for this at full price.   Just don't lie in the surveys. I heard they will cut you off if you provide answers that they know to be fake.

Hope that helps ease your frustration.

Timm

Edited by timmbottoni, 19 September 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#74 danner

danner

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Slack,

Sorry you missed it.  If you join our mailing list you will hear of future sales.  Go to www.skysafariastronomy.com and wait 5 second for the popup at the bottom to join the list.

Bill

I joined the mailing list specifically to get the alert when SS5 Pro for Android became available. I did not receive any email and still haven't. I found out from watching this forum closely until someone posted it was available and I purchased it at that time.

#75 slack

slack

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Timm, but I'm not interested in participating in surveys. 

Bill, it's been my understanding that it is only half off when a new release comes out. (Though it was also my expectation, based on posts here, that it would have been half off for longer than part of a month — especially with the delayed release, and there being confusion here about when it would come out.) As danner posted, I've not heard anyone report getting sales prices or half off via the mailing list.

I don't mean to sound like whiner or cheap, but this is really disappointing and frustrating; I had been waiting to purchase the new SS5 Pro version, for $20, since last year.

Edited by slack, 19 September 2016 - 05:32 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics