•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguiding a NexStar Evolution SCT

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nddeyne

nddeyne

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

Has anyone been successful at autoguiding a Celestron NexStar Evolution SCT? It doesn't seem to have an autoguiding connection on the mount. Some articles mention a way to do this through a PC, but fail to go into further detail.

I'm aware that a wedge is needed for this, I just can't seem to find anyone that actually did autoguiding on this type of scope...

#2 chase20

chase20

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

nddeyne,

You connect your computer to the port on the hand controller (which is at the bottom).

This allows software on your computer to update the mount position based on a visual input from a camera.

The need for a wedge is dependent on the auto guiding software itself and not a mount/hand controller issue. The software is that which turns the image into a new mount position.

Any solution you choose only needs to be Nexstar compatible, as they all use the same hand controller technology. You will probably find little online specifically for the Evolution as its newer/expensive.

Edited by chase20, 02 June 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#3 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

I have an Evolution and you can autoguide them via ascom with the normal computer connection - and it should even work wirelessly.

But almost all autoguide software would need to use PulseGuide commands - and those are only enabled by ascom when the mount is on a wedge and in equatorial tracking mode - rather than alt-azimuth.

So yes - effectively you do need a wedge to autoguide, but you don't need a special guiding port. You just need computer control of the mount via ascom.

Frank
  • chase20 likes this

#4 newt93

newt93

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: paris , france

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:08 AM

hi freestar8n

thanks for tips

i ve just owned a 6 evolution

please

clarify auto guiding setup

phd ???? wireless ???

great thanks

#5 vagrom

vagrom

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas City

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

I auto-guided my 9.25" Evo. Wifi was too flaky running PHD2 and Planetarium software over the link at the same time using NexRemote. I had to switch to the physical hand controller and a serial connection to the PC. (if you have less WiFi traffic in your area it may work better but building a cable is not hard or costly and will save you frustration in my opinion).

Guiding was okay but the Evo mount is underpowered and just a little wind would wreck havoc. I should also caveat that I made my own wedge. I could not get it closer than a few arc-minutes from the pole. 

Even autoguiding, I think you will be stuck with relative short exposures and you will have a fair number of exposures you will have to drop due to tracking.

You may want to post this question to the Celestron forum under "Telescope Specific Forum." There are a couple of users there that have discussed this issue.

FYI, my best session with my EVO mount and autoguiding:

get.jpg

Edited by vagrom, 17 October 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#6 newt93

newt93

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

thanks

you wrote "I had to switch to the physical hand controller and a serial connection to the PC"

witch one please ?

#7 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

I guide with the ascom driver via serial into the handcontrol and it works pretty well.  The Evo is on a wedge.

You need to use the latest celestron driver *and* the latest hc firmware from celestron - which may only be available from the teamcelestron site.  A fix was needed because the pulseguide messages would stall for 2 seconds or so and not work properly.  So it may have seemed like it was working - but it was very sub-optimal.

I don't think I tried guiding with wifi but it is supposed to work.  It may have issues.  I prefer a wire into the hc anyway.

So in terms of connections - plug the hc into the mount as usual, and have usb from the laptop going to a usb2serial adapter - which then goes through a serial-to-hc connection into the base of the handcontrol.  That is a special cable you can make or get from celestron.  It may have come with the mount.

Then connect to the mount through the ascom driver after aligning it.

Frank

#8 newt93

newt93

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

freestar8n  very great thanks

have yougot some links to share please ....flowerred.gif

"the latest celestron driver *and* the latest hc firmware from celestron"

the same as yours  ?

#9 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

teamcelestron.com

http://www.ascom-sta...copeDrivers.htm

I believe the handcontrol firmware I am using is the latest, 5.29.7137

You can check your handcontrol to see what software version it is running - for the hc and the mount.

If you need help updating the firmware, I would consult with teamcelestron.  You may be able to get help in CN - but I have to relearn how it works every time I do it.

Frank

#10 newt93

newt93

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

really nice Frank !!!!!

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gif

#11 newt93

newt93

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

if updating require specific points

i would like help step by step ....

please

Frank ...it is my FIRST scopeblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

i used refractor while 2 years , just viewving without goto

i saw my friend used it

so goto seems no difficult

but autoguide , not same storyyyy....

Edited by newt93, 17 October 2017 - 04:30 PM.

#12 vagrom

vagrom

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas City

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

thanks

you wrote "I had to switch to the physical hand controller and a serial connection to the PC"

witch one please ?

I used the hand controller that came with the telescope. Here is a site with more info: http://www.nexstarsi...m/PCControl.htm

#13 Brass Hat

Brass Hat

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

Nexstar resource site has a lot of information available..

#14 newt93

newt93

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:13 AM

i have to explore this

without part , is it ? for evolution

but more great to HC  and ....

no ! read and then suggesting ...

THANKS friends

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics