•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning filters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mike17

mike17

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colfax, WI

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

Just wondering what method everyone uses to clean your narrowband filters

#2 turnerjs085

turnerjs085

Apollo

• Loc: AZ

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Methanol and opto-wipes. Acetone for anything really stuck, but be careful if your filter cell is painted.

You can go all out and disassemble the cell to clean the glass, but it is a big risk using a spanner to get the retaining ring out for not a lot of reward...

Jeremy

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Fife Lake Mi.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

60/40 water alchol is all I use along with a lens pen.I use that one all of my filters and eyepieces along with corrector plates and front Objectives.Have never had any issues in over 20 years...

#4 schmeah

schmeah

Aurora

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

An air bulb blower, 91% isopropyl, and kim wipes wrapped around a q-tip. Easy for unmounted filters. I still have a hard time cleaning residual streaks from the edges of mounted 1.25" filters however, so I am also curious to find how others do this.

Derek

Edited by schmeah, 05 June 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#5 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Soyuz

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

no substance used! https://www.youtube....h?v=Dzcj2HX5QHE     :waytogo:

• Mark Sibole likes this

#6 schmeah

schmeah

Aurora

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

Well there is actually a "non liquid carbon" compound on the pad. So you would be comfortable using it on those $500 3nm Astrodon filters?

derek

#7 Rick J

Rick J

Cosmos

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

An air bulb blower, 91% isopropyl, and kim wipes wrapped around a q-tip. Easy for unmounted filters. I still have a hard time cleaning residual streaks from the edges of mounted 1.25" filters however, so I am also curious to find how others do this.

Derek

Simple, avoid mounted filters.  Other than that I've not found a solution.  Here's my story.

When I was doing color film work with mono film I used unmounted filters in a filter drawer.  Easy to clean.  When I moved to digital I borrowed a mono camera and filter wheel (and a OSC but that's another story).  That filter wheel could use mounted or unmounted filters but the owner had used mounted ones that were dirty at the edges.  Short of taking them out of the mounting which carried risk of damage I was unable to ever solve the issue.  Since they weren't mine I left them in the mounting ring.  Fortunately the chip was small enough it didn't matter.  But I vowed never to use mounted filters after that.  I suppose flats would hide that haze band at the very edge I never could clean but if you are already vignetting there that may make the flats work overtime and add some noise to the image corners.

Unmounted are easily cleaned by just dragging them across a microfiber cloth soaked in 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol.  Then doing the same across a dry microfiber cloth.  A blast of 40 psi air from my well filtered air compressor after they are firmly mounted back in the wheel finishes the job.  Since the camera and wheel remain on the scope at all times, I need do this only once a year. 

Rick

• schmeah and RickV like this

#8 GA-HAMAL

GA-HAMAL

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

I use delaminated cosmetic pads, their inner surface.

#9 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Soyuz

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hi Derek,

This is used for even expensive lenses. :waytogo:

Well there is actually a "non liquid carbon" compound on the pad. So you would be comfortable using it on those $500 3nm Astrodon filters?

derek

• schmeah, turnerjs085 and Hobby Astronomer like this

#10 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

Ive used a lens pen on all of my optics for years.Ive vever has any issues at all.So long as like anything else you follow instructions your fine.Ive been using this on my filters for years also along with eyepieces and front objectives and have never had any issues.If I had any issues I sure wouldnt use it on my very expensive optics.But today I still use the lens pen on everything as there has been NO ill effects.Just my opinion on this from actual use.Actually I just ordered 2 new ones from Amazon today so I can keep one in the Observatory and 1 inside the house for the DSLR.Less than 10 bucks on amazon

#11 schmeah

schmeah

Aurora

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

I see they make a micro pro lens pen which has a much smaller pad. Perhaps this would be more useful fot the mounted 1.25" filters.

derek

#12 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

With the standard size Derek I have had no issues on mounter 1.25 filters.It cleans edge to edge.Personally I like it and hell for the less than 10 bucks on Amazon just order 1 and give it a try I think youll like it.With MS and my awful hands Its a dream for me...

• schmeah likes this

#13 Jimbards

Jimbards

Explorer 1

• Loc: Franklin, TN

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:28 PM

I used a lens pen on my ha filter, now have a faint haze that da hows around the outer edge of my ha frames. ☹

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics