•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SGP crash...ASI 1600 flats, cannot save file?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#101 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:35 PM

If it was the cable, the camera wouldn't work 100% flawlessly in other programs, at much higher rates of throughput, for days on end. I tested the cables and the hub with the camera running, taking darks and biases, for almost 30 hours strait. I think if the cable had an issue, that torture test would have revealed it. I am in the middle of doing other testing right now, however tomorrow I can try connecting directly to the computer and see if that changes SGP's behavior.

Edited by Jon Rista, 05 June 2016 - 11:36 PM.

#102 Thirteen

Thirteen

Gemini

• Loc: Milford, Michigan

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:36 PM

I could, but I am trying to get it working in the configuration I'll actually be using for imaging. I need the long USB repeater cables to connect to the mount outside. 

Do you have a USB2 active extension?  I have been able to run stable with a USB2 active cable into a powered USB2 hub. 

#103 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

I could, but I am trying to get it working in the configuration I'll actually be using for imaging. I need the long USB repeater cables to connect to the mount outside. 

Do you have a USB2 active extension?  I have been able to run stable with a USB2 active cable into a powered USB2 hub. 

I do, however I am not sure of the reliability of that. My first clear night out, and early on during the second, all my USB 2 devices had issues. The camera, which was connected to the same USB 3 cable I am using now, did not have any problems, but all the USB 2 devices dropped several times the first night. I think I determined the issue was a short extension I was using between the hub and the USB 2 active extension cable...but I am not certain. and even if it was part of the problem, it may not be the whole problem. I have had a couple connectivity issues with the QHY5L-II since that night, so more testing is needed. 

#104 Thirteen

Thirteen

Gemini

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:42 PM

It's remarkable how many issues we have in this hobby.   :smashpc: 

#105 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

Tell me about it. I have yet to actually have a decent clear night with the ASI1600. :'( Three nights so far. Tonight it just got clear after being heavily clouded over...but I have work tomorrow. I may just try getting my focus offsets figured out tonight, if everything goes well. SGP has been working with the USB 3 cable with a USB limit setting of 90 so far, so it might work once I get it set up out there...

#106 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:35 AM

:bawling:  :confused:  :bawling:

Well...everything has been going fine for the last several hours of acquiring test frames. However now that I'm getting things set up for imaging...SGP is crashing again. Seems to be having problems with 300 second subs. It'll take one or two, then crash. 

Well...I guess that's it for this clear, moonless night.  :undecided:

EDIT:

Hah! Well, guess it's not so bad. Big pile of clouds just moved in as well. Guess I'll see if I can get the darks and biases sequence running again and hit the sack. Ah, astrophotography. What a stressful hobby...

Edited by Jon Rista, 06 June 2016 - 12:42 AM.

#107 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:46 AM

OK, guys, I need  explain something about the "USB Traffic" setting:

1."USB Traffic" is used to adjust the bandwidth the camera is using, the unit is %

so the fps will drop to half if you set to 50 which mean 50% bandwidth of the maximum speed 

2.different computer should have different value

most computer can accept 40M byte/s through USB2.0 and 380M byte/s through USB3.0

this is the value 90 mean, so 90 is a safe value for most computers

but you need to adjust it lower if you use a hub or extender cable or meet some "slow" computer

take care if you use USB3.0 PCI-E card, the maximum speed is 200M byte/s, so 50% or lower is needed for USB3.0

to know your hardware better, you'd better do this stress test with Sharpcap or firecapture

there is no image or fps is not stable if this value is too high

3.why higher value works when do long exposure and won't work when do short exposure

this is because there is Handshake Protocol to avoid any data lost during long exposure(longer than 1s)

but Handshake Protocol affect the fps speed of short exposure, so we did not use it during short exposure

Handshake Protocol may not work if you set it too high under USB3.0 port

4.does this parameter affect image quality

yes, it does when do long exposure, the sensor need to sleep during long exposure to avoid "amp-glow" problem

the sensor has rolling shutter, so it is still exposure line by line during data transfer after wake up

so too slow transfer speed will cause some noticeable "amp-glow" 

from our test, only USB2.0 will introduce some noticeable amp-glow when this value is very low

our suggestion:

1.USB3.0 port is suggested, set this value to the proper value from your stress test

2.maybe USB2.0 is the only choice if you need very long distance, then set this value higher as possible

default value is 90 which should works for all computers during long exposure

• TimN, happylimpet, Jon Rista and 1 other like this

#108 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:49 AM

Thanks, Sam! Very useful!

#109 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:50 AM

I think I figured out the issue with SGP. It seems to occur as a result of paging through images in the image sequence history. If I leave that alone, and just let the sequence run, then SGP does not crash. If I page back and forth through the images inside of SGP, then it will inevitably crash, usually pretty quickly. 

#110 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

I think I figured out the issue with SGP. It seems to occur as a result of paging through images in the image sequence history. If I leave that alone, and just let the sequence run, then SGP does not crash. If I page back and forth through the images inside of SGP, then it will inevitably crash, usually pretty quickly. 

That might be a sign of low memory or other memory issue.

#111 Thirteen

Thirteen

Gemini

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:50 AM

OK, guys, I need explain something about the "USB Traffic" setting:

1."USB Traffic" is used to adjust the bandwidth the camera is using, the unit is %
so the fps will drop to half if you set to 50 which mean 50% bandwidth of the maximum speed

most computer can accept 40M byte/s through USB2.0 and 380M byte/s through USB3.0
but you need to adjust it lower if you use a hub or extender cable or meet some "slow" computer
take care if you use USB3.0 PCI-E card, the maximum speed is 200M byte/s, so 50% or lower is needed for USB3.0
to know your hardware better, you'd better do this stress test with Sharpcap or firecapture

3.why higher value works when do long exposure and won't work when do short exposure
this is because there is Handshake Protocol to avoid any data lost during long exposure(longer than 1s)
but Handshake Protocol affect the fps speed of short exposure, so we did not use it during short exposure

yes, it does when do long exposure, the sensor need to sleep during long exposure to avoid "amp-glow" problem
the sensor has rolling shutter, so it is still exposure line by line during data transfer after wake up
from our test, only USB2.0 will introduce some noticeable amp-glow when this value is very low

our suggestion:
1.USB3.0 port is suggested, set this value to the proper value from your stress test
2.maybe USB2.0 is the only choice if you need very long distance, then set this value higher as possible

If we stress test and still achieve the maximum frame rate in Firecapture, does this mean that the traffic setting is not affecting image quality? My real question is how do we determine if that setting is indeed affecting the image?

#112 MikeKy

MikeKy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lexington, Ky

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

Jon, which version of SGP are you using?  There is a thread on the SGP forum that mentions a memory leak issue when paging through the history.  I have had SGP crashes the last 4 times out and I tend to leaf through the history frequently. This is supposed to be fixed with the newest version (2.5.1.14).  I haven't had a chance to get back out and image with the new version due to clouds and work to see if it's truly fixed or I just need to leave the history alone.

• pedxing likes this

#113 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

Joe

Can you test using Sharpcap or Astrolive to determine if it's a software conflict in SGP vs a potential hardware problem. Just take a few cAptures and see if sharpcap or AstroLive can save the files

Al

#114 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

Al,

I did test on ShapCap and Nebulosity too.  I had the same problem.

I have not re-tested those programs using administrator privileges.  I will later today.

The weird thing is the camera was working fine without using administrator privileges, then it would not complete the download/write unless I opened SGP with privileges.  

I also have a QHY8L which works fine on all programs without invoking administrator privileges.

Joe

#115 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

Jon, which version of SGP are you using?  There is a thread on the SGP forum that mentions a memory leak issue when paging through the history.  I have had SGP crashes the last 4 times out and I tend to leaf through the history frequently. This is supposed to be fixed with the newest version (2.5.1.14).  I haven't had a chance to get back out and image with the new version due to clouds and work to see if it's truly fixed or I just need to leave the history alone.

Hmm, I will have to check the version. It shouldn't be an available memory issue, I have 32GB physical RAM. 

#116 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

I am using version 2.5.1.14 of SGP. 

I am still having crashes as well. I think it is still related to the sequence history, as when I take bias frames, if I adjust the USB traffic down to 45, and use 0.00 as the exposure length, it works, they all download, they save to disk fine...but it seems once I get up to 20-30 frames in the history, SGP will still crash.

#117 MikeKy

MikeKy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lexington, Ky

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:30 PM

Thanks, Jon.  It looks like I might get a chance to do some DSO imaging on Wednesday night.  I usually take my flats at the beginning of my imaging session using a flat panel.  I'll probably just shut down and restart everything after the flats to make sure the history is clean before I start the lights. 

#118 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'll keep you posted on my experiences, Mike. I finally managed to get a full set of 64 bias frames. I gathered 14, it crashed. Then it gathered the remaining 50 without crashing. I didn't touch SGP while it was running for the second half of that run, though. 

I am about to do a long run of flats to do some signal linearity testing on the ASI1600. It's going to be a very long sequence spanning the range from very short sub-second exposures to maximum exposure length...so I hope SGP doesn't crash. 

#119 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

Well...that didn't last long...  :ohmy:

#120 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

OK, guys, I need explain something about the "USB Traffic" setting:

but Handshake Protocol affect the fps speed of short exposure, so we did not use it during short exposure

our suggestion:

If we stress test and still achieve the maximum frame rate in Firecapture, does this mean that the traffic setting is not affecting image quality? My real question is how do we determine if that setting is indeed affecting the image?

it won't affect your image quality if you use USB3.0

• TimN likes this

#121 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

I'll keep you posted on my experiences, Mike. I finally managed to get a full set of 64 bias frames. I gathered 14, it crashed. Then it gathered the remaining 50 without crashing. I didn't touch SGP while it was running for the second half of that run, though. 

I am about to do a long run of flats to do some signal linearity testing on the ASI1600. It's going to be a very long sequence spanning the range from very short sub-second exposures to maximum exposure length...so I hope SGP doesn't crash. 

I've addressed a memory issue in SGP that was causing the crash.  I've personally completed multiple sequences of 1500 images after this fix was in place.  Prior to the fix it could complete 20 images or maybe only 1.  But with the fix in SGP and the 1.0.2.5 ASCOM ASI driver things seem to be very stable.  We'll have it released in a day or two.  

Thanks,

Jared

• Joe G likes this

#122 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:29 PM

Thanks, Jared! Looking forward to the next release. Can't wait to get my imaging fully automated. I am just about finished with a DIY focuser for my 600mm Canon lens. I tried out SGP a couple of years ago, but went with BYE because it allowed me to focus the lens. That will no longer be a problem, and I'm quite excited to get into SGP. I think a DIY flat box that uses the Alnitak API is my next project. 

#123 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:45 PM

That's awesome.  Just bought the program (two or so weeks ago) and the stability will be great!

Edited by Joe G, 06 June 2016 - 10:45 PM.

#124 Crazyguy

Crazyguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Issaquah, WA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

That's awesome.  Just bought the program (two or so weeks ago) and the stability will be great!

SGP is a great tool. Jared, I thought you guys were taking a break from development?

#125 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

SGP is a great tool. Jared, I thought you guys were taking a break from development?

Ken is taking a break, Jared is still around!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics