•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewing with the Morpheus Eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Alan A.

Alan A.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:34 AM

I have now had a chance to test out the relatively newly released Baader Morpheus eyepieces over several nights and wanted to share my experience using them.

I have three sets of the Morpheus Eyepieces (which I will abbreviate just as ME below) in focal lengths of 4.5mm, 9mm, and 14mm.

They come beautifully boxed and initial inspection revealed their overall build quality was excellent.  They were not too heavy, easy to hold, and made with comfortable rubber grips.  They are designed to be compatible in either 1.25” or 2” focusers, which is very convenient.

My first light with them was in a friend’s 32” f 3.6 dob and we looked at a variety of deep sky objects  (in monocular mode) including the spindle galaxy, M82, and the ghost of Jupiter. All three focal lengths of ME put up high quality images with superb contrast and resolution.  Eye relief was excellent, even prolonged views did not cause eye strain, and the overall view was immersive.  We were able to compare the 4.5 ME to a 4.7 Ethos, and the 9 ME to the 10 Ethos and 10 Delos.  We did not find that the ME gave up anything other than some field of view to the Ethos eyepieces.  The 4.5 ME showed some mild Edge of Field Brightness (EOFB)  which I could detect if I looked for it, but was not bothersome to my eye.  That night while using the highly regarded Leica Aspheric Zoom, we found that when zoomed in it had dramatically more EOFB than the 4.5ME.

These ME were also designed to be able to be used in binoviewers (ie narrow barrel diameters throughout the range of focal lengths) .  I used the three sets of ME with my Baader Mark V binoviewer in my Takahashi TOA 130 F7.7 apo.  I viewed the crescent moon, M5, Jupiter, and many other objects.  My normal binoviewing sets are 24 pans, 18 BGOs, 12.5BGOs, 7.5 Tak LEs and 5 Tak LEs.  The 24 pans are wonderful to use in the binoviewer.  I also have high regard for my other binoviewing eyepiece sets but find that I don’t binoview with them often as I miss the wider field of view provided by monocular viewing with an Ethos.  Well, these ME eyepieces have changed things.   The extra field of view from using a set of ME made it feel like I was looking out a window, rather than through an eyepiece.  The ME put up outstanding images with excellent resolution and contrast, and good control of light scatter.  

My  future viewing with my refractors will be using the Mark Vs with the ME.  I have on order an optical corrector from Siebert Optics which should allow me to use the Mark V’s with the ME in a Newtonian  telescope without the need to make any adjustments to the telescope.  Yes, these ME may move me predominantly into binoviewing with all my scopes!

I found very little to complain about with these ME eyepieces.  It is known that the eyeguards could be of slightly higher quality, and I understand that Baader has already addressed this and will soon be providing upgraded eyeguards to everyone that has ME.

I would have to say given their outstanding sharpness/ contrast coupled with their 76 degree field of view, at $239 each, these ME are one of the best values in eyepieces out there for mono or binoviewing.  In particular for binoviewing – I am unable to think of another line of eyepieces I would prefer using over these ME.  We are living in the golden age of eyepieces!

Best,

Alan

Edited by Alan A., 06 June 2016 - 01:34 AM.

• Gene@CN and Thonolan like this

#2 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Vostok 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:56 AM

:waytogo:  great report ... I received my Morpheus 14mm recently, but rain has prevented me from giving it a decent try out.

It reeks quality,solid feel about it and very nice large eyepiece lens... comes with its own eyepiece pouch.

Can't wait for the 17.5mm to show up on the shelves.....

Another 14mm is in order so I can use my Denk Super II Bino's .

Col....

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:24 AM

Been waiting on some evals to come in on those EP's. Have had a set of hyperions for some years now. Looks like it might be time to update.....

#4 jonstarrysky

jonstarrysky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: England, U.K.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

:waytogo:  great report ... 

Can't wait for the 17.5mm to show up on the shelves.....

Col....

Me too. Bring on the 17.5mm !!!!

Excellent report Alan. 

Did anyone compare the 14ME with Denk14 ??

In my 18" Newt I find 14mm a tad too high mag, after the added magnification of the Newtonian OCA. So I eagerly await the 17.5.

• Colin exraaf likes this

#5 shams42

shams42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kingsport, TN

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:22 PM

I have the 9mm and it's my favorite eyepiece. I just ordered a pair of 12.5mm for binoviewing and should receive them later this week. I can't wait!

#6 scarubia

scarubia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada.

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

Alan thanks for the input re these eyepieces. How did you find eye placement? Could you move your eyes around the field without concern for blackout? I am interested in the 17.5mm EPs because I can get a higher magnification without too much loss of field size, compared to my 24mm pans. 

How much bigger are they than the 24 pans??

#7 Alan A.

Alan A.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

I thought the requirements for eye placement with these ME were pretty reasonable.  For my eye, in monocular mode, the eye placement was not too sensitive, but I did notice compared to an Ethos- the Ethos was even more foregiving.

While using the ME in binoviewing mode, the only time I had to consciously pay attention to my eye placement was while viewing the moon with the lunar surface filling the entire field- then small changes in position could result in some blackout. However, once I found the best position it was pretty easy to stay there and the viewing was comfortable.   Someone who is primarily a lunar observer will want to try a pair of ME before purchasing them, but the lunar views I got with the MEs were incredible.

Best,

Alan

I'll try to post a pic of the pans and ME tonight after getting home from work.

Edited by Alan A., 07 June 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#8 scarubia

scarubia

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

Hi,

I thought the requirements for eye placement with these ME were pretty reasonable.  For my eye, in monocular mode, the eye placement was not too sensitive, but I did notice compared to an Ethos- the Ethos was even more foregiving.

While using the ME in binoviewing mode, the only time I had to consciously pay attention to my eye placement was while viewing the moon with the lunar surface filling the entire field- then small changes in position could result in some blackout. However, once I found the best position it was pretty easy to stay there and the viewing was comfortable.   Someone who is primarily a lunar observer will want to try a pair of ME before purchasing them, but the lunar views I got with the MEs were incredible.

Best,

Alan

I'll try to post a pic of the pans and ME tonight after getting home from work.

Thanks Alan, very much appreciated! A pic comparing your 14mm to the 24mm panoptic would be great. 

#9 Alan A.

Alan A.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

Hi,

Hopefully this will give you a good idea:

IMG 1697

Best,

Alan

• denis0007dl and Gene@CN like this

#10 scarubia

scarubia

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

Hi,

Best,

Alan

Thanks for the pic Alan. Wow considerably larger!

#11 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

The Morpheus looks similar in size to the Baader zoom. 

#12 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

I think that 14 is bigger than my first apartment...... :lol:

#13 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

Hi,

Best,

Alan

Thanks for the pic Alan. Wow considerably larger!

Alan,

When you gat a chance, could you put some calipers across that ME and give us the actual diameter?  Televue lists the 24 Pan at 1.9 inches (48.26mm) and I am interested in how "fat" the ME really is.

Thanks!

Ron

#14 Alan A.

Alan A.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

Hi Ron,

I have digital calipers and measured the maximum diameter of the Morpheus eyepieces I have, they are all 55mm maximum barrel width.  Hope that helps,

Best,

Alan

#15 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Vendor (Binoviewer Supercharging)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

That sounds good. I wait to try 17.5mm FL in bino.

#16 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

Hi Ron,

I have digital calipers and measured the maximum diameter of the Morpheus eyepieces I have, they are all 55mm maximum barrel width.  Hope that helps,

Best,

Alan

Thanks! :waytogo:

Ron

#17 shams42

shams42

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:40 PM

I just got a pair of 12.5mm Morpheus. In mono-mode, it is my favorite eyepiece by a country mile, comfy and with contrast for days. In bino-mode, I'm not sure I'm liking them as much as I anticipated. I'm having a little trouble with getting the eye placement right for both eyes at once, and the field (in the BV) doesn't *feel* any bigger than the 59 deg field I'm used to with my pair of 14mm Radians.

Time will tell. They have been showing some incredible Mars images, it just hasn't been as relaxing an experience as I hoped.

Edited by shams42, 20 June 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#18 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Vendor (Binoviewer Supercharging)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:48 AM

I just got a pair of 12.5mm Morpheus. In mono-mode, it is my favorite eyepiece by a country mile, comfy and with contrast for days. In bino-mode, I'm not sure I'm liking them as much as I anticipated. I'm having a little trouble with getting the eye placement right for both eyes at once, and the field (in the BV) doesn't *feel* any bigger than the 59 deg field I'm used to with my pair of 14mm Radians.

Time will tell. They have been showing some incredible Mars images, it just hasn't been as relaxing an experience as I hoped.

Thanxs for input.

Really interesting about FOV size....

About eye placement trouble: sounds same like RKE 28mm probem. After using RKEs 28mm in bino, I train myself how to hold eye placement right and enjoy in views, so maybie you can try do this how to enjoy in them more....

Keep us posted.

Kind regards and all best

Denis

#19 Alan A.

Alan A.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

I hope things get more comfortable for you over time. Eye placement while binoviewing is generally more critical than viewing with one eye. The viewing comfort may also be affected by the brand of binoviewer. Just out of curiosity which binoviewer are you using?

Best,

Alan

#20 shams42

shams42

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

It's a Binotron-27. And next time may be better. The IPD adjustment was a little too loose and so the binoviewer tended to close under the weight of the eyepieces. I have adjusted the tension to solve this problem, and I'm eager to see if things are easier next time since the binoviewer will hold its IPD spacing now.

Edited by shams42, 21 June 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#21 shams42

shams42

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

And by the way, in mono mode, the 76 deg field looks very expansive and immersive while the Radians feel very constricted. I really dislike using the Radians on deep sky in mono mode due to the narrow field even though the image is contrast, sharp, and well-corrected.

In the BV, though, it's hard to appreciate the extra field of the Morpheus.

Edited by shams42, 21 June 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#22 shams42

shams42

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

I used my pair of 12.5mm Morpheus in my Binotron-27 last night in my 16" dob. It was phenomenal on planetary and bright deep sky objects. M57 in particular was stunning.

Eye placement is easier since I tightened up the IPD adjustment tension. I think I was having trouble because the BV was slowly closing itself under gravity.

Keepers for sure. It's weird; sometimes the field feels very big and sometimes more like 60 deg. However, I really didn't like the narrowness of my 32mm plossls after using the Morpheus.

I think the 17.5mm will be the perfect deep sky binoviewing eyepieces for me. I can't wait till they are out!

Edited by shams42, 25 June 2016 - 11:48 PM.

#23 Alan A.

Alan A.

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hi,

That's good to hear things worked out well.

Best,

Alan

#24 bgi

bgi

Apollo

• Loc: Ga

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

I have the same problem sometimes with the Binotron and Delos.  If I put the hinge down, the IPD tends to open up due to the weight of the eyepieces.  When this happens, I flip the BV around and it tends to stay put.

I expect the Morpheus to BV much like Delos - my fave BV eyepieces.  I'm interested to know how the eye cup does for folks with narrow IPDs.  Delos work well for my face with the adjustment lowered and eye cup folded down.

17.3's are the bee's knees for OCs and crusing around the sky.  The AFOV feels like an Ethos.  You'll love the 17.5's.

#25 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

Any updates on binoviewing with Morpheus pairs?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics