•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bausch & Lomb Telescope, older refractor small: gem or garbage?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Camano Island, WA

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

Like I need another scope, but

Bausch & Lomb Telescope, Model is AF-78-0454, wooden tripod. Looks like small refractor with a 45 degree finder (?).

I came across an older Skychief that turned out to be a gem in the rough, but don't know anything about this. They guy is asking $25. Can't find anything on the internet... 

Attached Thumbnails

• 00b0b_cd5jDhL5XAh_600x450.jpg
  • 01515_f93qAIbW2GI_600x450.jpg

• BarabinoSr and Deven Matlick like this

#2 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:03 AM

Made in China = No

Made in Taiwan = Maybe

Made in Japan = Yes

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:42 AM

Looks like a recent junk quality scope.  I'd spend the $25 on food or something useful.

Dave

#4 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

Looks like modern dept. store stuff

#5 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

Jury is in. Thanks for the feedback. 

#6 badback

badback

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Jury holdout here. :4

Well... it looks like an older EQ-2 mount bolted to the really cool center round legs with the painted height sections. A rather good, stable combo IMO. The OTA looks to have the newer style reflex finder seen on later Tasco's like the 9f model. Seems to be in great shape so...IMO well worth the whoppin' 25 bucko's asking price, and you can probably get it for less  if you dump a little badback charm on the negotiations. :flowerred:

Optically speaking: Ya' don't know til ya' go!  :shrug: Most newish 60mm junk scopes that I've looked through have OK or better optics. It's the mounts that often suck. On the other hand I've seen a few "junk mounts" that have mechanically superior design elements on em'.

Very curious about your "older" Bushnell Sky Chief as I have a "real old one" but can't can find any info on it anywhere?

Pics?

• Jon Isaacs, GeneDiG, catboat and 1 other like this

#7 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

I agree, badback! I have a Jason# 313 Discoverer  that has that flip finder feature. This is a newer model than the other #313 I have that has the finder. I think yours is probably a Diamond Z(Tanzutsu) model.   

#8 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:35 PM

Very curious about your "older" Bushnell Sky Chief as I have a "real old one" but can't can find any info on it anywhere?

Pics?

I'm out of town at the moment, but it looks like the attached image I found off the internet .  I found the Skychief at Value Village for $7. 

Bushnell Sky Chief 1
Price ($USD): discontinued
Type: Achromatic Refractor
Aperture: 60mm (2.4")
f Ratio: f/11.6
Focal Length: 700mm
Finder: 6x30
Mount: Alt/Az
Tripod: wood

Made in Japan

I had some decent 965 eyepieces left over from another bygone scope and found the optics to be pretty good, certainly worth the $7 anyway, and the whole scope can be carried in one hand (unlike my other 3). "Older" is rather relative , I'm guessing late 70s, but am not sure. I took the whole thing apart, cleaned, painted the inside with black chalkboard paint, and rebuilt the mount.

That's about all I know.. 

BTW, I never got a response from the seller to the Craigslist Bausch & Lomb ad (its still listed). I was thinking even if the scope was garbage, the mount might be ok for the skychief... Probably worked for the best. I don't need any more scopes and the little alt az is truly a grab and go.

Attached Thumbnails

• 29a9089439207a6461647e8a746082fc.jpg

Edited by Maxtrixbass, 11 June 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

Jury holdout here. :4

Well... it looks like an older EQ-2 mount bolted to the really cool center round legs with the painted height sections. A rather good, stable combo IMO. The OTA looks to have the newer style reflex finder seen on later Tasco's like the 9f model. Seems to be in great shape so...IMO well worth the whoppin' 25 bucko's asking price, and you can probably get it for less  if you dump a little badback charm on the negotiations. :flowerred:

Optically speaking: Ya' don't know til ya' go!  :shrug: Most newish 60mm junk scopes that I've looked through have OK or better optics. It's the mounts that often suck. On the other hand I've seen a few "junk mounts" that have mechanically superior design elements on em'.

Pics?

I agree.. I am no expert but the mount is certainly superior to any that I have seen on the recent 60mm DSTs. If it's not an EQ-2, it's an EQ-1.  The scope itself, it has the Porro prism straight-through erect image adapter,  it's been a while since those came with DSTs.. 

When did Bausch and Lomb get out of the Telescope business?  That puts some kind of a number on how old this scope is.

One thing I have discovered about buying used telescopes:  When you pay $25 for a telescope, you have about $25 invested in it.  

Jon

• GeneDiG, badback and Bomber Bob like this

#10 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:51 PM

I ended up getting the scope for $20.

The scope itself was alright, but the mount was, as some thought, actually pretty good. I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed, adjusted.. It had obviously been sitting for some time.  I put my 60mm Skychief on it and ended up with a pretty decent little setup. I salvaged some parts from the Bausch and Lomb scope, but that was about it. It might have been OK, but the lens was pretty beaten up. The mount had a second counterweight, but the Skychief was light enough not to need it.

Total cost:   $7 for the Skychief,  $20 for the mount, and a fews hours of enjoyable fine tuning.

I guess I did spend some for a can of paint repainting the OTA...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0004.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, terraclarke and rcwolpert like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics