•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neighbors and Binoculars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#26 miniventures

miniventures

Something Else

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

I remember I was in a truck stop, at the very far end of it leaning on the bed of my pickup with my binoculars looking at something (don't remember what but it was in the sky) and some trucker jogged by. He stopped, said hello and said, "I never thought of doing that what a great idea!"
I offered to let him look at whatever it was I was looking at and he looked crestfallen when he realized I wasn't looking into the cabs of the many trucks that were in front of me. Sigh that was the last time I used my binocs in such a public place.

#27 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:08 AM

I agree with you RandyR. I hear the mountains calling. I would easily and gladly give up many many conveniences of the city/suburb to have very few neighbors and zero light pollution out in rural VT, NH, or ME.

#28 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:48 AM

RandyR -- Castle Rock, CO!

I had a run-in with your local constable when I was driving to visit my folks in the Springs. I was pulled in the then-famous Castle Rock speed trap (out of state license plates only), and he told me I was clocked at 80 mph. I respectfuly noted that the only way my 62 VW would go 80 mph at altitude is if you dropped it off a cliff and asked him what my options were. He said I could either pay the $200 fine or come back in 2 months for a court appearance (that was the hook for the out-of-staters). I told him I was a poor college student and didn't have $200 to my name, and he replied, "Well, how much DO you have?" I showed him my last $20, he took it and put it in his pocket, and sent me on my way.

You need to move, bud!

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:50 PM

This is a good thread. I've been worried about this issue myself since my backyard is on the edge of a 3 level apartment complex. What is worse is the good viewing is over their roofs. I know some have probably already frowned at me and condemned my actions, and my neighbor already asked who I was looking at. He understood better when I told him I couldn't even focus on something that close, and I offered to give him a Nickle tour of the stars. But I can't drag everyone down from the complex and offer the same explanation.

My latest ploy is to make it as public as possible so there doesn't appear to be anything sneaky about it. This includes bringing out unnecessary gear, a dog, some beer, and friends. :D

#30 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:00 AM

I find the neighbors much less concerned when I don't wear the long trench coat and keep my hands above my chest....

#31 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:41 AM

I'm planning to move to a more isolated location as soon as I can retire. I've not yet had any problems with neighbors over binoculars or telescopes. It may happen sometime, though.

#32 nemo

nemo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:59 PM

Fiske,
I have a Bouvier who is my constant companion. Not only is she a natural protector but has also been professionally trained (by me). There is not any better friend and guardian than a good canine. You just cannot beat the senses they have. I guess this is off topic so I shall cease. But I am in agreement with you about having a sense of security while observing the night skies in a public park with my trusty hound along. My 22mag. laser sighted(in grip) S&W is also a nice pocket companion.
R/S,
Dan
"Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again."

#33 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:02 PM

Nemo,
Out here a .22 would just tick off the bears. Thankfully the only things we contend with at the dark sky site are a few owls and the occasional porcupine, maybe a skunk or two, and various fowl. Now if you head for the mountains... that's a different story.

My Schnauzer is a great alarm, but not much of a guard.

Now if I could just figure a way for my neighbors to all drop by the driveway some night and see what I'm really looking at.....

#34 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:19 PM

After seeing my "Yard Cannon" (CR150/Atlas) out in front of my house on multiple occasions, the neighbors don't even blink when I'm creeping around in the dark. Doesn't matter if I have a scope or binos, they just smile at the crazy amatuer astronomer down the street. :lol:

Scott

#35 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:37 PM

I have a Bouvier who is my constant companion.

For a second I imagined you being married to one of Marge Simpsons' sisters... :grin:
(That is her maiden name, right? I didn't know it was also a dog breed...)

#36 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:26 PM

Tell the Nosey neighbor to mind their own business...

#37 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:09 PM

After seeing my "Yard Cannon" (CR150/Atlas) out in front of my house on multiple occasions, the neighbors don't even blink when I'm creeping around in the dark. Doesn't matter if I have a scope or binos, they just smile at the crazy amatuer astronomer down the street. :lol:

Scott

Or is the USMC decal on the scope: "Mk VI Mod 7 150mm Rapid-Fire Mortar"? :dabomb:

#38 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:14 PM

I knew they were ducking and running for some odd reason... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Scott

#39 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:19 PM

:roflmao: I have a couple of neighbors who don't need optics to enjoy DSOs (if you get my drift)...OT: Last Saturday was one of their celebrations - marking the day he got hit by lightning...another makes his living by transpanting, culturing, and selling...wildflowers (I'm NOT making this up...he lives in a 25' travel trailer).

#40 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:22 AM

Rusty,

The things we see in binos..... :whistle:

You have to give him credit for originality. :lol:

Scott

#41 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:50 AM

I am pretty much surrounded by retirees so all of my neighbors are in bed by 7pm....

#42 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:47 PM

I'm a retiree, and I'm rarely in bed before 2 AM (I think that's right...I'm not sure I remember...) :sleepy:

#43 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:16 AM

Rusty, you would be an exception compared to my neighborhood. But, it works out for me. When I'm outside later on in the evening...everything is quite and as dark as it can be. There's no one around to get concerned about what I'm doing. So it feels kinda private...

#44 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:06 PM

More better....! I live out in the country so it's naturally dark. But you bring up a good point about choosing a new place where people go to bed early. And you're lucky, because here in Florida most retirement communities light up at night (supposedly for security). :grouphug:

#45 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:51 PM

I have heard of some crime reports that conclude that street lighting does nothing to limit crime. I for one could definitely do without it...there's a street lamp a little too close to my front porch (I live on the 2nd floor), but it's nothing a pellet gun can't fix.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics