•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Magellan I on Meade LX50... should it work?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

Thank you again John and Rod.  When I acquired my LX50, the mount came with the encoder hardware for the Magellan II already installed; I assumed (and you know what that means) the Magellan I to still be compatible with the existing LX50 encoder hardware, but just "lesser featured" so as to make the II more desirable and more able to take advantage of the LX50's capabilities (but the Mag I still usable nonetheless).

Some literature I read implied that when purchasing a new Magellan I, the intended scope needed to be specified so as to have the proper cable and connection configuration.  This led me to believe there were several different Magellan I configurations available depending on the scope for which it was to be used.  The Magellan I that I have is actually a "try before you buy" to see if it will work and I can return if it doesn't (since AFAIK there currently are no Mag IIs available).

John, what you describe may be for the time being beyond my scope of available time and capabilities!  But given the multiple configuration possibilities, I wonder if there are suitable cables out there somewhere that already exist?

The Mag I was available for both the SCT fork mount models and the Starfinder GEMs. I had one for a DS-16 mount. The GEM model just used the Mag I hand box only. Cables were compatible with the JMI cables.

#27 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

Regarding the Magellan I
I may be getting one handed to me gratis, and would like to give it a go on a Dob mount.
I have no encoders, so would be working from scratch.
Any help with the connections would be appreciated.
Or should I just scrap the idea and wait to get a Sky Commander?
Currently using alt-az circles, north alignment is easy, leveling the scope base to minimize locating errors is...challenging

Thanks,
Greg

You are going to need a pair of the JMI brackets, long for the side bearing and short for the base, plus the encoders, plus a cable for the Mag 1 controller.
Easier just to order the JMI Dob kit less the CPU box and then buy a used computer handset off AM or CN. There were 3 hand boxes plus you can use a Sky Commander or an Argo Navis. All except the latter 2 were available from JMI (NGC models), Orion (Sky Wizard models), and Celestron (just the big one, the Advanced Astro Master). Obviously you can add a Magellan 1 to the list.
Almost any encoder model will work with the correct pin-out (U.S. Encoder models) although the more tics the better accuracy (also cost is more). Big Dob guys like ones that are 10K ticks and up ($100 each). 4K and 8K will work fine also.

Edited by photoracer18, 04 January 2019 - 04:42 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics