•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coulter Odyssey 8 focal ratio?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

Gonna take my 13.1 inch out as soon as my back is up to the task.

One thing about that bar secondary holder, it’s stable as heck, and a lot less objectionable at the eyepiece than expected.

Edited by Gil V, 23 May 2020 - 05:16 PM.

• izar187 and DozerCSX like this

#27 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

I have had 13.1 for years and love it for deepsky observing. I don't see a problem with the single vane "lawn mower" blade spider either. 

- Dave 

Coulter2.jpg

• izar187, clamchip, DozerCSX and 1 other like this

#28 DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:51 AM

@Cosmos - great picture! And that is a BEAST of a Finder, it's a telescope in it's own right!

BTW what are the contraptions on the side of the base?

"it looks like it runs on some form of electricity" - Cap

#29 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

The finder is also Coulter. They offered a 4.25" f/4 "kit" for $29.95 back in the late 70's that I bought when I was a kid. The mirror turned out to be a sphere I which refigured into a parabola.  With  a UFC filter it does a wonderful job showing the North American Nebula or the Veil . By the way it also has a single vane  "lawn mower blade" spider  to hold the secondary.

The "electronic" on the side is  my homemade WIFI digital setting circle interface and  it connects to my tablet running Sky Safari. With it I can find an objects in seconds. It make observing very productive. I usually observe 40 to 60 objects in an evening and have seen objects that I never would have tried for with star hopping. Just push the scope until the pointer on the screen is over the object displayed in Sky Safari and look in the eyepiece. So taking a vintage scope, adding a bit of modern technology and the result is great observing system. 

- Dave 

wifidsc.jpg

Edited by DAVIDG, 25 May 2020 - 01:41 PM.

• izar187, DozerCSX, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#30 lightspeed66

lightspeed66

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloomington, IN

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

One thing about that bar secondary holder, it’s stable as heck, and a lot less objectionable at the eyepiece than expected.

Totally agree. You could probably stand on it. I did alter mine to be able to adjust it slightly for optimal collimation. If I'm remembering correctly, it involved elongating the hole into a slot for vertical travel? It's been a long time. The idea of the three vane was to minimize diffraction from the vane(s), possibly try smaller mirror, and eliminate any distortion in the secondary from it being epoxied in place.

#31 Silverfaux

Silverfaux

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

The "electronic" on the side is  my homemade WIFI digital setting circle interface and  it connects to my tablet running Sky Safari. With it I can find an objects in seconds. It make observing very productive. I usually observe 40 to 60 objects in an evening and have seen objects that I never would have tried for with star hopping. Just push the scope until the pointer on the screen is over the object displayed in Sky Safari and look in the eyepiece. So taking a vintage scope, adding a bit of modern technology and the result is great observing system. 

- Dave 

attachicon.gifwifidsc.jpg

Hey Dave,

any chance you could enlighten us on the specs of your WiFi setting circles? that seems like a super awesome setup.

#32 Jarl

Jarl

Vostok 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:38 PM

Add my name to the "request for enlightenment" :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics