•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Standard 3.5 Dissasembly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 sbbarnett

sbbarnett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

My Q was knocked over on its tripod over the weekend. The mirror is now cocked and loose in the tube. I called Questar for any special instructions to ship it to them to prevent additional damage. I was advised to unthread the control box from the tube and remove the mirror. This seems very tight and I don't want to use innordinate force. I also see 4 hex screws that look like they may be relevant.

Can anyone give any tips on the proper proceedure?

#2 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I can just imagine the horror of seeing this happen.

I have never taken one apart, but here is a pic that may assist you a little...

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• questar_open2.jpg

Edited by sgorton99, 21 June 2016 - 06:01 AM.

#3 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

This seems a bit strange. You can normally order a shipping drum for sending your Questar back to them. I would call them back and ask if you can just ship it to them in one of those. I did this once back in the 1980's.

Call Company Seven for how to order a drum, if you are interested.

My condolences,

Justin

#4 JonTeets

JonTeets

Ranger 4

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

This might help getting the control box off.   It has pictures with commentary

http://www.cloudynig...s/#entry2089825

I can't find anything about what you'd do next to get at the mirror.  

#5 sbbarnett

sbbarnett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

After taking a few weeks to screw up my courage, I was able to remove the tube, and effect enough of a repair to make the Q safe to transport.

Before I started:

Q Damage 1

First I removed the eyepiece mount so I could rotate the tube 360 degrees:
Q Damage 2

Then I used a syringe to carefully place some Acetone all around the joint where the tube attaches to the control box:

Acetone
Q Damage 3

I waited 5 minutes, and with the control box secured in a highly padded vice, I used hand pressure to unscrew the tube.  I had to torque it rather hard, and was just about to give up when it broke free.  I then removed the scope from the padded vice, and oriented the tube vertically to complete unscrewing it:

Q Tube
Q Tube Threads

The sleeve that secures the mirror to the focusing mechanism was loose in the tube, and sitting on the mirror :shocked: :

Q Damage 4

I was then able to lift out the mirror:
Q Mirror Side
Q No Mirror
Q Mirror Mount

My original plan was to pack up the mirror separately for shipping, but I was able to re-secure it in the tube with the sleeve so that it can safely be shipped in-situ, which I think will be safest.  For grins, I checked out the performance of the scope after putting everything back together, and it works, but there is obviously some misalignment, with lots of edge distortion.  Back to the mother ship she goes...

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

Nice to see the innards of the little Q. And Mother Q will make her well again, very well.

#7 JonTeets

JonTeets

Ranger 4

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for posting the pics.  It's quite nice to see closer views.    Hope the scope's easy (inexpensive) for them to get back into good shape. 

#8 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Viking 1

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

A great thread.   Thank you!

Joe

#9 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:54 PM

Thank you for Boldly Going where no Man has Gone Before. I wonder where the arrow is supposed to point.

How much cosmetic damage was done to your Q? I shudder just thinking about it.

#10 sbbarnett

sbbarnett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. Fortunately there was no cosmetic damage. The rest of the story is that this happened in my carpeted game room. I use the scope almost every night and got in the habit of leaving it on the tripod in the back corner of the room. Besides, I like looking at it when I'm not using it.

It was knocked over when my wife was vacuuming. Recognizing a hi risk situation, I managed to be completely calm about it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics