•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax 20x60

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Binosaurus_Rex

Binosaurus_Rex

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: FREE UK

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:13 PM

Copy the sky.

Mighty fine glass.

#27 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

20x60's hand held? way too much for my old, wheezing, wobbling body, I don't care if they are 3 oz.  my 16x60 PCF's are great glass but I can only hand hold those for short periods before I give up due to getting tired of seeing streaks instead of stars. 12x seems to be my limit for hand held.  I can deal with narrow FOV (especially when the image is so clean) but not the shaking at high mags.

• Binosaurus_Rex and Miranda2525 like this

#28 Binosaurus_Rex

Binosaurus_Rex

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: FREE UK

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

Calm down grandad.

It ain't you wobblin it's precession.

I thought I had the wrong feet, maybe someone elses head, with my eyes, turns out, The earths spin was making me sick, don't know why now.

Have a cupp'o tea an quit mithering.

Ps. Pentax rock.

20x60's hand held? way too much for my old, wheezing, wobbling body, I don't care if they are 3 oz.  my 16x60 PCF's are great glass but I can only hand hold those for short periods before I give up due to getting tired of seeing streaks instead of stars. 12x seems to be my limit for hand held.  I can deal with narrow FOV (especially when the image is so clean) but not the shaking at high mags.

• hallelujah likes this

#29 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:03 PM

OHhhhhhhhhh.. precession! why didn't I think of that?  must be the Alzheimers kicking in.  so all I need is a Tom O EQ platform for my rocking chair?

• gene 4181 and spaceclown like this

#30 Glamrlama

Glamrlama

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

Picked up an essentially un-used pair of Pentax 20x60 PCF WP11 for very reasonable price. As you have probably read elsewhere, these have a narrow field of view but there is no sweet spot, the whole field is pretty awesome right to the edge.  Lighter than I expected and essentially all weather/waterproof.  Awesome eye relief for those that wear glasses like me.  Nice all round package for reasonable price.  My new favourites. 

• hallelujah likes this

#31 Wallcreeper

Wallcreeper

Ranger 4

• Loc: NH

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

Are these threaded to accept an adapter to mount them on a tripod?
  • Miranda2525 likes this

#32 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

I used to think the same way. My older Japanese Orion 20x80s are way to heavy to be hand-held and so I assumed that my Obie 12x60s (which are just fine as hand-helds) were at my max magnication limit. Then I got these 1960s Japanese Shrine-Manon 16x50s. They are so light that they work perfectly as hand-held binos- nice and stable with no jiggles! It seems to me, at least in my case, that it’s all about weight and balance when it comes to higher magnification.

Attached Thumbnails

• 73AEBBDD-4A26-412D-A532-245FEF839580.jpeg
  • 793112E3-E6D4-4301-8981-99FA12EA026C.jpeg

• dries1 likes this

#33 Glamrlama

Glamrlama

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

Yes they are. Just pop the cap in the front and a threaded adapter can be inserted. 

#34 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:56 PM

When you purchase a tripod adapter for the Pentax 20x

make sure you get a thick metal adapter. sumo.gif

https://www.amazon.c...ASIN=B000BYH8EQ

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 10 February 2019 - 11:56 PM.

• Miranda2525 likes this

#35 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:48 AM

I recently donated my Miyauchi 22x60s to the local STEM group.

I got them in the distant past as an alternative for the more expensive Tax Astronomers,

but they never fit in.  The view was just too dim, the FOV too small.

I used them more for outreach for school groups,

but they could not compete for the kid's interest over the bigger scopes.

So my 20ish by 60 experience was not very successful.

edj

#36 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:57 AM

I have a strong urge to buy the new Oberwerk 20x65EDs. I have decent tripod/mount for them. I wonder if they would work better than my 20x80s in my urban/suburban home setting. The 20x80s seem to draw in too much skyglow and background light from neighbors. They would be a definite step up from the 16x50s. I like the handheld 16x50s for quick looks but I definitely appreciate mounted binoculars for more detailed observation.

Edited by terraclarke, 11 February 2019 - 07:59 AM.

#37 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

I have a strong urge to buy the new Oberwerk 20x65EDs.

I wonder if they would work better than my 20x80s in my urban/suburban home setting.

Why not try them for yourself?

30-day satisfaction guarantee

"We want our customers to be thrilled with our binoculars. If you realize you ordered the wrong model, we’ll exchange at no charge (except for shipping). If you are not satisfied with our product, we’ll accept a return and issue a full refund (minus shipping), up to 30 days after purchase."

Stan

#38 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:45 PM

Yes! They sure are!  Make sure to order the THICK METAL adapter from Amazon.com. It is very sturdy. it was recommended to me from hallelujah, and I am really happy with it's performance. The binoculars won't budge on it at all. Solid as a rock! 

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-4

With the eyecups rolled all of the way down, (or even one click up), I can see the whole fov while wearing glasses. 

The 20x60's are excellent, but really a "one-trick-pony". Tripod ONLY. At first I thought I could hand hold these for brief moments, but over time going back and forth from hand held, to the tripod proved that the tripod was the best and only option for me. The 20x magnification is really awesome, but again, only on a tripod. Viewing on a tripod with straight through eyepieces is literally a pain in the neck anywhere above 60 degrees or so. If you don't mind using a tripod only, then you're really gonna like these. I ended up exchanging mine for a pair of Pentax 12x50 because I can hand hold them a lot better in my zero gravity chair. I do miss the 20x views in those, but I get more use out of my 12x50's because I hand hold them more and sometimes put them on a tripod. IMO, it would be great to own both!  Maybe one day I will re-acquire a pair of the 20x60's again, to use along side of the 12x50's.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20x60 Pentax withthick adapter.JPG

Edited by Miranda2525, 15 February 2019 - 03:58 PM.

#39 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:02 PM

Calm down grandad.

It ain't you wobblin it's precession.

I thought I had the wrong feet, maybe someone elses head, with my eyes, turns out, The earths spin was making me sick, don't know why now.

Have a cupp'o tea an quit mithering.

Ps. Pentax rock.

I agree. Hand holding the 20x60's was out of the question for me after seeing the difference from mounting them. Rock solid views mounted, but just a bunch of "streaks" hand held. HUGE DIFFERENCE !!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics