•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

USB2/USB3 with ASI1600

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TimN

TimN

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

I finally had a chance to play a bit today with my new ASI1600, filter wheel and SGP. As its during the day and clouded over, I couldn't actually image anything  but I think its now set up ok with one exception. The ASI1600 ASCOM shows usb2 as my USB speed. I've tried a USB3 hub and directly connecting to the computer. My device manager shows my root as USB3. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and closing and opening SGP. Nothing makes a difference - it stays at USB2. I've left all the other settings on their defaults. What am I missing? Thanks for any help. 

#2 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Same thing similar happened to me with ASI120MC-S USB3.0 camera. Sometimes when I connect from laptop's USB 3.0 port with USB 3.0 cable to the camera, it would show that it's running at USB 2.0 speed. I would have to close the software (SGP or Firecapture), uplug/replug USB 3.0 from camera or laptop and restart software and repeat this until it finally shows that USB 3.0 speed is running.

It's hard to determine if the fault comes from camera, laptop, USB 3.0 cable or camera's driver (native or ASCOM).

In your case, if you could never get USB 3.0 speed running, then it's more likely the fault may be in the camera.

Peter

#3 Thirteen

Thirteen

Gemini

• Loc: Milford, Michigan

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

I would check the device manager. A lot of times the computer will have an internal hub. If one device on that hub runs at USB2 then it may throttle all other devices to that speed. You should make sure the camera is running as the sole device on that hub.

#4 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:53 AM

this is usually because of host USB3.0 controller, a driver update would fix this problem

you can have a look at here:

http://zwoug.org/vie...php?f=21&t=1688

you can also try another PC or cable to check if it's a cable problem

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics