•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Integrated Bluetooth Mod

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dthomp87

dthomp87

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:35 PM

]I just added built in Bluetooth functionality to my Sirius EQ-G. After some tinkering and trying a few different things I got it to work with SkySafari flawlessly! It connects and works every single time and there are no messy wires because the bluetooth chip is built into the hand controller. It even keeps the original serial functionality so that I can still plug it into a serial port and connect it to my PC.

US seller of the chip, for those who are interested:

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You have to send the chip some commands through a serial terminal to Change the name of the Bluetooth signal to "Sirius EQ-G" and send the "AT+ENABLEIND0" to ensure it behaves well and can connect with the scope. I removed the DB-9 Connector from the chip so it would fit inside the controller case. after some head scratching i figured what wires go where on the board and just soldered them in. I stole power from the hand controller and used a 5v voltage regulator (NTE977) to step down the voltage from 12v. 

I'm actually surprised at how perfectly it works and with no visible wires at all for a cost of only $14

_DSF8718.jpg

_DSF8724.jpg

_DSF8725.jpg

Edited by dthomp87, 30 June 2016 - 11:58 PM.

• rreddt2go and tolgagumus like this

#2 Per Frejvall

Per Frejvall

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:57 PM

What a nice little mod! Well done!

Bluetooth does have its share of problems, especially in radio (WiFi) congested areas, but is a very nice way to remove a cable in non-critical applications. I wouldn't use it in a remote observatory, though, but that is probably not what you're doing.

My friend and I built ourselves really small devices which look like a DB9 connector with case but without a cable coming out of it. We use them for connecting to serial ports of network and radio equipment during service. Very good in tight areas and we use them from only a couple of meters away.

I can also invoke the good old national pride as Bluetooth is a Swedish invention ;)

/per

#3 dthomp87

dthomp87

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

What a nice little mod! Well done!

Bluetooth does have its share of problems, especially in radio (WiFi) congested areas, but is a very nice way to remove a cable in non-critical applications. I wouldn't use it in a remote observatory, though, but that is probably not what you're doing.

My friend and I built ourselves really small devices which look like a DB9 connector with case but without a cable coming out of it. We use them for connecting to serial ports of network and radio equipment during service. Very good in tight areas and we use them from only a couple of meters away.

I can also invoke the good old national pride as Bluetooth is a Swedish invention ;)

/per

Thanks! My main objective was to be able to use sky safari for goto and final alignment as it is much more intuitive and enjoyable to use than the hand controller. I haven't tested the true range but the specs say it should work up to 100 feet. I'll most likely never be more than 30' from the scope so it should be very reliable for what I need. 

#4 sctchun

sctchun

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: In the Middle of the Sea

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

Cool, I have the same board, but I got mine through Amazon.  I printed up a case for it on a 3D printer and use it on my NexSXW mount to control it using Sky Safari on my phone.  It looks really cool on Public viewing nights.

Steven

#5 supernov

supernov

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Oh I love these little mods, I'm just getting my feet wet into soldering my own electronics, very nicely done! 

• Raginar likes this

#6 Rich_B

Rich_B

Mariner 2

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

is the actual bluetooth module a HC-06 slave , or a HC-05 master/slave ? They look identical , no way to tell from pictures. I got bluetooth modules and don't need the DB9 , max232 and battery fluff . I'd like to give it a try , only need to know the right module type . 

#7 dthomp87

dthomp87

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

is the actual bluetooth module a HC-06 slave , or a HC-05 master/slave ? They look identical , no way to tell from pictures. I got bluetooth modules and don't need the DB9 , max232 and battery fluff . I'd like to give it a try , only need to know the right module type .

Pretty sure its the hc06. It is a master/slave if that helps. Also, Im quite confident you do need a max 232, at least for my mount. I could be wrong.

Edit: looks like if you remove the max232 from the controller you dont need one on the bluetooth module.

Edited by dthomp87, 01 July 2016 - 11:14 PM.

#8 ccrunner84

ccrunner84

Explorer 1

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

Looks pretty similar to what I did on my old cgem, worked great!

http://www.cloudynig...bluetooth-cgem/

#9 dthomp87

dthomp87

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:14 PM

Very cool! Nice and clean install. I see that if you remove the MAX232 chip than you don't need one on the adapter side either. At least this way the serial port is still usable, but I would have to take off the back cover and flip the switch off to the module before I could use it.

#10 ChrisFC

ChrisFC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:44 AM

Love your mod. Where do you find the ~5V on the handcontroller board ?

Edit: its OK I opened my controller and found the 5V voltage regulator. I was thinking of just wiring this up the power for a bluetooth module/board. Then wire up the module module to a very short lead that comes out of the controller which you can plug into the port at the bottom of the hand controller. 

And the serial - should be max232 or not ?

Edited by ChrisFC, 03 July 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#11 dthomp87

dthomp87

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

Love your mod. Where do you find the ~5V on the handcontroller board ?

Edit: its OK I opened my controller and found the 5V voltage regulator. I was thinking of just wiring this up the power for a bluetooth module/board. Then wire up the module module to a very short lead that comes out of the controller which you can plug into the port at the bottom of the hand controller.

And the serial - should be max232 or not ?
If you are trying to communicate with the controller through its serial port, im pretty sure you need the max232 or similar chip. He didnt require one because he removed the max 232 chip from the controller so they were communication using TTL I believe. If you are going to steal power you might as well build everything into the controller. The meathod i use does not require modification of the controller components, just splicing it all in. The bluetooth module i used has the max232 chip built in. My meathod keeps serial communication functionality in case you want to control with a PC in the future.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#12 ChrisFC

ChrisFC

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

Thanks. i get it now. Will do with a max 232 serial-bluetooth as i use both that (for skysafari on android) and occassionally usb-serial to my pc (for stellarium etc).

#13 ChrisFC

ChrisFC

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the tips on this. Got a serial(TTL)-bluetooth. Its smaller thatn getting one with the max232 level converter. Soldered onto rx & tx onto the max232 on the TTL side. Works with SkySafari on bluetooth. Easier than my old external bluetooth which needed an extra lead and power.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160716_152623a.jpg

• rreddt2go and ccrunner84 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics