•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Athens Observatory

classic refractor observatory
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Athens - Hellas.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:19 AM

Penteli Station Mid 40s

The Newall refractor dome shortly after its installation (Summer 1959). From my personal collection.

Regards

Dimitris-Athens

Attached Thumbnails

• 1959.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 19 October 2016 - 05:20 AM.

• Deven Matlick, Starman27, starbob1 and 4 others like this

#27 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:22 AM

Newal Telescope:

Old photo of the Newall Telescope, erected in England.

Attached Thumbnails

• old newall.jpg

• Deven Matlick, Starman27, brave_ulysses and 1 other like this

#28 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:04 AM

Athens Observatory Annales:

For reporting special events, separate volumes edited. Below is a Solar Eclipse report (19-June-1936). from my collection.

Attached Thumbnails

• Solar.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 20 October 2016 - 03:04 AM.

#29 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:54 AM

Hi,

a nice fish eye view video:

https://youtu.be/VHR2fBv-Hac

Regards

Dimitris-Athens

• dUbeni likes this

#30 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Wonderful !!

#31 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:30 AM

Wonderful !!

Hi Frank,

now you have to consider a visit to  NOA when you are coming back to Greece.

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Edited by mitsos68, 13 December 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#32 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

I received some nice land in kind of a mountainous region (2500 feet - altitude) in Greece from my parents. One day I wish to build a small observatory there, something like in that nice Aristarchus Ritchey Chretien 2+ meter reflector video.

Great pictures and info by the way, thanks!

Edited by Procyon, 20 December 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#33 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

I received some nice land in kind of a mountainous region (2500 feet - altitude) in Greece from my parents. One day I wish to build a small observatory there, something like in that nice Aristarchus Ritchey Chretien 2+ meter reflector video.

Great pictures and info by the way, thanks!

Hi,

do you know the exact location of the region?

Regards

Dimitris

Edited by mitsos68, 16 January 2017 - 03:20 AM.

#34 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hi Dimitri,

Yes I do, it's a small town called Drakovouni, in central Peloponese. Hmmm that means Vampire or Dragon mountain, please advise lol.

Edited by Procyon, 16 January 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#35 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

Around, 1960 the Athens Observatory received as gift from the Yerkes Observatory, the lens of the famous Bruce Photographic telescope (used by E. E Barnard for his wide field sky survey).

The lens mounted together with a Fecker 10 inch astrographic lens and with a F/0.8 (!) Rydell Schmidt Camera on a equatorial table wich was constructed by Observatory technicians at the Hellenic Navy's shipyard.

The instrument battery is demolished years ago. In order to save the Bruce and Fecker lens from the landfill/scrapping (this is was the decision on the Observatory's political supervisor, and both lenses initially went to the garbage bins), staff donated the instruments to an non operating astronomy facility located in the Kefallonia island.

For many years I tried for the repatriation of the Bruce lens back to Yerkes without results, due to the obstcles from local beurocracy.

In the equatorial table picture Bruce lens is mounted on the upper part with the Schmidt Camera (the black tube), while the Fecker instrument works as counterweight.

In the second picture you can see the two lenses stored some years ago inside the abandonded island observatory.

Regards

Dimitris

PS Equtorial table image was taken from: http://www.instrumen...om/athens1.html

Attached Thumbnails

• EQUATORIAL TABLE.jpg
  • bruce.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 25 January 2017 - 03:07 AM.

• Deven Matlick, Starman27, starbob1 and 2 others like this

#36 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

Hi,

below you can see two of the  small portable telescopes made by Merz in Munchen. One Altazimuth and one Equatorial.

Regards

Dimitris

Attached Thumbnails

• eqq (6).jpg
  • eqq (7).jpg
  • SMALL EQ.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 28 February 2017 - 09:26 AM.

• Starman27 likes this

#37 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:35 AM

The old Sinas building offers from the eastern room s super view to Parthenon Temple. A vintage Zeiss Asiola spotting scope used to examine the monument.

Regards

Dimitris

Attached Thumbnails

• OPEN.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 28 February 2017 - 09:32 AM.

• Deven Matlick and Spockk like this

#38 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:37 AM

This a dusk skyline picture of the Observatory site.
From left to right:
1. The obelisk that marks the zero geodesic point of Greece.
2. The Doridis 16 inch refractor dome.
3. The Sinas Building.
4. Acropolis Hill.

Regards

Dimitris

Attached Thumbnails

• HORIZON.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 28 February 2017 - 10:34 AM.

• Deven Matlick and dUbeni like this

#39 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

One more vintage Zeiss scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss.jpg
  • zeiis22.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 28 February 2017 - 02:05 AM.

• Deven Matlick, Starman27, starbob1 and 2 others like this

#40 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

The eyepiece end of the 16 refractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• eqq (4).jpg

• Bill Dean, Deven Matlick, Starman27 and 2 others like this

#41 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:44 AM

There is a lot to taxonomy work to do in the library.

Attached Thumbnails

• book.jpg

• Deven Matlick, Procyon and Ben Bajorek like this

#42 weather guy

weather guy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Thank you Dimitris!

I spent a week at the Penteli Observatory preparing for and broadcasting the transit of Venus in 2004 with the exploratorium. Nikos Matsopoulos was a gracious and warm host and sharing views through the Newal during night setups was a personal highlight for me.

There was a Razdow solar telescope at the site as well but it wasn't in operation at the time. I assume it has been decommissioned as has most of the network but I would appreciate any more current information. Unfortunately I lost many of the pictures I have from my visit but I will see if I can contact others from the group and try to post here them if possible.

Someday I will have to revisit Penteli, I have very fond memories of my time there. Please do post more!

Thanks again and clear skies,
Bill Dean

Hi Bill

Nikos is a very close friend of mine.I know him foe thirty years. Now enjoys his retirement in a beautiful rural area in the Northwestern Greece.

He was responsible not only for the preservation of our historic facilities but and for the diffusion of Astronomy to the Greek people.

We are very obliged to him.

In the above attached links you can find information about a visit to Penteli. Also a photo of the Razdow.

At your disposal any time.

Regards

Dimitris

Thanks for all the info on Pendeli.  I worked there in the 1980s with Niko.  I’m so glad he’s happily retired.  When I knew him he was young and earning degree after degree.

• mitsos68 likes this

#43 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:09 AM

Thank you Dimitris!

I spent a week at the Penteli Observatory preparing for and broadcasting the transit of Venus in 2004 with the exploratorium. Nikos Matsopoulos was a gracious and warm host and sharing views through the Newal during night setups was a personal highlight for me.

There was a Razdow solar telescope at the site as well but it wasn't in operation at the time. I assume it has been decommissioned as has most of the network but I would appreciate any more current information. Unfortunately I lost many of the pictures I have from my visit but I will see if I can contact others from the group and try to post here them if possible.

Someday I will have to revisit Penteli, I have very fond memories of my time there. Please do post more!

Bill Dean

Hi Bill

Nikos is a very close friend of mine.I know him foe thirty years. Now enjoys his retirement in a beautiful rural area in the Northwestern Greece.

He was responsible not only for the preservation of our historic facilities but and for the diffusion of Astronomy to the Greek people.

In the above attached links you can find information about a visit to Penteli. Also a photo of the Razdow.

Regards

Dimitris

Thanks for all the info on Pendeli.  I worked there in the 1980s with Niko.  I’m so glad he’s happily retired.  When I knew him he was young and earning degree after degree.

Hi,

Nikos established a non profit planetarium activity, for schools. See: http://www.planetariumotg.gr. He is restless!!

Regards

Dimitris

#44 weather guy

weather guy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

Thank you Dimitris!

Bill Dean

Hi Bill

Regards

Dimitris

Hi,

Nikos established a non profit planetarium activity, for schools. See: http://www.planetariumotg.gr. He is restless!!

Regards

Dimitris

Hi Dimitris,

I have jpgs scanned from photos taken by US Air Force photographer in 1980.  How do I post them?

#45 weather guy

weather guy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Here's the small views.

Attached Thumbnails

• pendeli.jpg

• Deven Matlick likes this

#46 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:36 AM

Around 1967-1968 one of the 12 Baker Nunn sattellite tracking cameras built by Boller& Chivens moved from US to Athens. 

Camera installed near to Penteli station (Dionysos observatory), and operated in cooperation with the Technical University of Athens and Smithsonian for satellite tracking, along with a greek built laser rangefinder.

Now the instrument is out of service but still in the grounds of the Dionysos Observatory.

Attached a picture of the camera, and a correspondence envelope from 1970 (from my collection)

Regards

Dimitris

http://dionysos.survey.ntua.gr/

https://www.google.g...32!4d23.9339539

Attached Thumbnails

• 14721597_1612541845706953_8067984298568323097_n.jpg
  • SAO.jpg

Edited by mitsos68, 25 May 2017 - 07:01 AM.

• Deven Matlick likes this

#47 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:29 AM

Julius Schmidt during his service as Director of the Athens National Observatory, except of his monumntal Lunar map , finished also the half completed Lumar Map of Wilhelm Gotthelf Lohrmann in 25 sections (https://en.wikipedia...tthelf_Lohrmann). A great work of its own but already outpaced by Schmidt's map. NOA was indeed the epicenter of Selenology during the 19th century. Attached is a picture of Lohrmann's map companion volume as edited in Leipsig (1878) by J. F. J. Schmidt. (From my collection/library).

Attached Thumbnails

• Lohrmann.jpg

#48 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

The solution of an ancient enigma.
The strong tidal currents in the Strait of Euripus are one of the first recorded observations of tidal phenomena. The analysis of sea-level time series from tide gauges located near the narrowest part of the Strait show that the amplitude of the semi-diurnal tides at the north side of the Strait is four times the amplitude at the south side of the Strait. Two-dimensional depth-averaged tidal modelling of the area shows that the tides are enhanced as they travel through the Straits of Oreon and Trikeri, which are the communication of the North Evvoikos Gulf to the Aegean Sea. The tidal propagation through the Strait of Euripus itself is severely restricted owing to its small cross-section. Therefore, the tides measured at the two tide gauges represent the independent propagation of the tide from the Aegean Sea through the North and South Evvoikos Gulfs, respectively, to the north and south sides of the Strait. The strong currents are driven by the gradient in sea level across the Strait. The natural modes of the basins are determined but are not detectable in the records.
The Euripus channel usually experiences two high tides and two low tides about every 24 hours. The current flows in one direction for 6 hours and 13 minutes, pauses briefly, and then reverses itself and flows in the opposite direction. It follows this regular pattern for 23 or 24 days of the lunar month. However, during the final four or five days of the month, unusual things happen. On some days the current may not change at all. On others, it may reverse itself as many as 14 times!
The phenomenon of Euripus has perplexed observers for thousands of years. Popular tradition has it that Aristotle, of the fourth century B.C.E., drowned here when he threw himself into the channel in despair over not solving the riddle of the tides. In reality, rather than drown himself, he attempted an explanation of the tides. In his work Meteorologica, he wrote: “It seems as if the sea flows through the narrow gap because of the surrounding land. It flows from a smaller body of water into a larger body because of the oscillating of the ground.” Aristotle mistakenly thought that the ground itself swayed because of the waves of the sea and because of the earthquakes that are prevalent in the area. About a century later, Greek astronomer Eratosthenes recognized that “on each side [of the channel] the sea has a different level.” He thought that the currents occurred because the two banks of the strait differed in height.
The final explanation of this unique tidal phnomenon was given by Athens National Observatory Director Demetrius Eginitis and published in the Volume XI of the Observatory Annals in 1931.
(Pictures from my collection).

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg

#49 hamishbarker

hamishbarker

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:11 AM

Around 1967-1968 one of the 12 Baker Nunn sattellite tracking cameras built by Boller& Chivens moved from US to Athens. 

Camera installed near to Penteli station (Dionysos observatory), and operated in cooperation with the Technical University of Athens and Smithsonian for satellite tracking, along with a greek built laser rangefinder.

Now the instrument is out of service but still in the grounds of the Dionysos Observatory.

Attached a picture of the camera, and a correspondence envelope from 1970 (from my collection)

Regards

Dimitris

http://dionysos.survey.ntua.gr/

https://www.google.g...32!4d23.9339539

Wow, I hope someone rescues that wonderful machine and puts it to use with a big CCD or array of multiple CCDs.

#50 mitsos68

mitsos68

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:06 AM

Astro-Angel. Detail from the mural fresco. Sinas Building. Thission!

Attached Thumbnails

• astroangel.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, refractor, observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics