•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Night Vision changes everything

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#376 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Yes, a 4"-5" fast refractor has also been on my list. So many new wants since I got into NV! I seem to have kicked into a reverse aperture fever or late, wishing for smaller and much faster telescopes.

#377 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

Yes, a 4"-5" fast refractor has also been on my list. So many new wants since I got into NV! I seem to have kicked into a reverse aperture fever or late, wishing for smaller and much faster telescopes.

LOL..  Yes.   Once you get used to the simplicity of NV it kind of spoils you.  And then you  that you can use a smaller, easier to store, easier to set up telescope and find yourself less inclined to have to mess when a big scope.

I use the 12" dob from time to time, but what had happened to me with the dob (and one of the great reasons I went so aggressively into NV) was that my dob is in a back yard that is surrounded by trees that have matured over the decade and a half I have lived here.  I only have a small strip of sky left.

With the NV and Comet Catcher, I can easily move out into the front yard or even walk up and down the street.

Again, one of the many reasons I love the Comet Catcher.  Light and fast. 

I keep thinking I might like an 8" f/3 dob, but I just don't know if I want to go that big.  The difference is just enough that I don't think I could carry it in my arms or curb squat.  I keep coming back to the Comet Catcher as the one scope that does it for me. 

• Solar storm likes this

#378 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Eddgie, on 26 Aug 2016 - 2:18 PM, said:

Doug Culbertson, on 26 Aug 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

LOL..  Yes.   Once you get used to the simplicity of NV it kind of spoils you.  And then you  that you can use a smaller, easier to store, easier to set up telescope and find yourself less inclined to have to mess when a big scope.

I use the 12" dob from time to time, but what had happened to me with the dob (and one of the great reasons I went so aggressively into NV) was that my dob is in a back yard that is surrounded by trees that have matured over the decade and a half I have lived here.  I only have a small strip of sky left.

With the NV and Comet Catcher, I can easily move out into the front yard or even walk up and down the street.

Again, one of the many reasons I love the Comet Catcher.  Light and fast. 

I keep thinking I might like an 8" f/3 dob, but I just don't know if I want to go that big.  The difference is just enough that I don't think I could carry it in my arms or curb squat.  I keep coming back to the Comet Catcher as the one scope that does it for me. 

I would love to get a Comet Catcher myself, and the idea of an 8" f/3 sounds like it would just be the bomb; light, easy to set up, and just a blast with NV. I still like to look at the moon and planets once in awhile, but that's what Paracorrs and barlows are for, right?

#379 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

Well, I still have my 12" dob and my Binotron for planets and lunar (and the occasional NV views).

But yes, the simplicity aspect of NV has become such a major part of the appeal that I hate to complicate it more than it has to be.  

I do need to use the dob more with NV though.   Shame on me for getting to lazy to do it.

Been so cloudy lately though.   

#380 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Eddgie, on 26 Aug 2016 - 4:07 PM, said:

Well, I still have my 12" dob and my Binotron for planets and lunar (and the occasional NV views).

But yes, the simplicity aspect of NV has become such a major part of the appeal that I hate to complicate it more than it has to be.  

I do need to use the dob more with NV though.   Shame on me for getting to lazy to do it.

Been so cloudy lately though.   

Yep, same here. I really can't remember the last time that I set up the dob, but it was back when I could see the Horse Head with my PVS-7. Mostly clouds since then.

#381 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

You guys might eventually run out of big stuff to look at with the small fast scopes, even with NV.  Eventually you might want to hook the NVD to somewhat larger aperture that can go deeper.

:grin:

Mike

#382 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

Oh yes, I do want to use the dob again, but conditions in Austin (both Peter and I are in Austin) have been pretty uncooperative lately.  

Unusual for us to have weeks of clouds this time of year.

#383 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

You guys might eventually run out of big stuff to look at with the small fast scopes, even with NV.  Eventually you might want to hook the NVD to somewhat larger aperture that can go deeper.

:grin:

Mike

Yes, I am still considering a 14.5"-16" or so dob when I retire in a couple more years and have the time to take it to darker skies. Like Eddgie, my sky conditions this year have been very uncooperative, and long periods without setting up makes me think about smaller scopes for spur of the moment observing. 

#384 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

When I retire in 2-1/2 to 6-1/2 years (I don't know exactly when, but I know the range), I'm planning on a Teeter Voyager 12.5" or 16" or something in between.  I'm definitely getting the best optics I can get.  No more playing the Chinese Dob lottery.

Maybe by then I'll also decide what to get in an NVD.  So far it seems to me that ordering a bigger Dob is more straight-forward and simpler than ordering an NVD.  I really don't think I'm alone in this opinion, no matter how wrong and ill-informed (?) it may be.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 27 August 2016 - 07:45 AM.

#385 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

Realistically, I am probably looking at 5 more years until retirement, which just gives me more time to save. Teeter is obviously at the top of my list, having owned two of his scopes now. 

For me, ordering either NV or a custom dob are about equal. One must identify what specs from the mirror or tube, extra items like goto, gain control, etc. you want from either, and so on.

I guess that choosing NV seems to have gotten more complicated in the 8 months or so since I bought my PVS-7. Back then I was unaware that any units had gain control, could be made into a binocular, etc. I knew about WP, of course, but it was more than I could spend. I simply shopped for the best spec tube in a unit that I could afford. I am actually glad that I got my PVS-7 before all of this recent talk of L3 filmless, Mod C, and all the other stuff that has been discussed of late. I may not own the best of the best, but I have been thrilled to pieces with my NVD and what it has shown me. Just like with telescopes, some of us start with the Orion stuff, then move up to the Teeter.  ;)

• Sarkikos and charotarguy like this

#386 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

The PVS-7 still seems like a great "overall" choice in many ways.

Most importantly, because you get to use both eyes in all modes (the binocular is a binocular and can't be used with both eyes in a telescope).  As much as I love the crispness of the view in the monocular, I do love using both eyes and I have to say that in the overall scheme of things, I weight these two pretty evenly, and individual preference for one eye or two could easily make someone much happier with the PVS-7 than a monocular or even the binocular (can't use the Binocular in a telescope). 

And the price!    Peter bought a really nice PVS-7 off of Criagslist for $1500!!!

No one that loves to view with both eyes should feel bad about having bought a PVS-7.  The PVS-7 is the "SCT" of the NV world.  Maybe the performance is not quite as good as a top end monocular, but it is capable, affordable, compact, and flexible.   I can do anything with my PVS-7 that I can do with my Binocular and some things I can't do with my binocular.

Note that I did not sell either of my PVS-7s when I got the Mod 3.

Edited by Eddgie, 27 August 2016 - 09:01 AM.

• Doug Culbertson, Sarkikos, Vondragonnoggin and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics