•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC APO250VT anyone?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• topic starter
  • Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

just noticed the ad up on Astromart, love the image of it being 'shouldered'. And it's f/8.8 ! triplet...

I'd love one but my finances and seeing would not allow, so i just have to dream.

#2 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

I saw that ad as well. Can't believe he can shoulder a 10" triplet like that. I wonder if there's a team of people just out side the photo ready to jump back in and grab the scope when he starts wobbling with it.

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Be careful what you wish for. That monster would be an albatross.

#4 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

I don't think it would be an albatross at all, especially for visual observations. For a visual observer, especially if  interested in the Moon, planets and double stars (but not only those objects)  a 10" apochromatic refractor could show all that the seeing would allow on the vast majority of nights I'll bet and the eyepiece would be at a very easily accessible height. It would, of course, require permanent mounting in an observatory and, if that observatory had a bit of climate control to help with cool down it would be killer. 

A lot of money for a telescope? Yes, but it could be the dream telescope of a lifetime for someone. And, just for the record, when I hear concerns about the high prices of some telescopes I always think of the hundreds of motor boats and sailboats here on the coast and dozens of monster trucks and bass boats I see on the road at my Farm that cost far more than this 10" apo plus mount by a long shot and most of those folks are anything but rich. But, the cost for a boat (plus motor and trailer or the fee to keep it docked)  or a truck with wheels 10 feet in diameter (or so it seems, LOL) is considered affordable by many middle class families and therefore ok to buy and own while purchasing a telescope like this would be considered an outrageous purchase by many. Not outrageous at all if you are buying it instead of a boat or truck with far less money needed for maintenance that could be used a hundred years from now, long after those boats and trucks have sunk to the bottom of the sea, rotted unused in someone's back yard or rusted away. Just one man's opinion.

Edited by JimP, 07 July 2016 - 08:38 PM.

• Paul G, doctordub, jrbarnett and 12 others like this

#5 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

I saw that ad as well. Can't believe he can shoulder a 10" triplet like that. I wonder if there's a team of people just out side the photo ready to jump back in and grab the scope when he starts wobbling with it.

Judging by the balance point there is no objective in that scope, a 10" triplet would have him pretty darn close to the cell to balance it on his shoulder......

:cool:

Edit: Unless it has a 25kg focuser???

Edited by Kunama, 07 July 2016 - 08:34 PM.

• jrbarnett, Starman81, george tatsis and 1 other like this

#6 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

It'd make some fine companion piece to a really large Dob...

• JimP and Allan Wade like this

#7 bgi

bgi

Apollo

• Loc: Ga

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

"Here is a good starter scope - easy to use"   :lol:

It must have a lot of rear end weight to balance there.  And that's a good thing for comfort during use.

#8 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:31 PM

Yuri,

You say 6 are going overseas, the 4 or 5 that are sold here are any of them coming to my neck of the woods? I sure like to look at a planet with a10” apo.

Vahe

#9 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

JimP, on 07 Jul 2016 - 8:25 PM, said:

I don't think it would be an albatross at all, especially for visual observations. For a visual observer, especially if  interested in the Moon, planets and double stars (but not only those objects)  a 10" apochromatic refractor could show all that the seeing would allow on the vast majority of nights I'll bet and the eyepiece would be at a very easily accessible height. It would, of course, require permanent mounting in an observatory and, if that observatory had a bit of climate control to help with cool down it would be killer. 

A lot of money for a telescope? Yes, but it could be the dream telescope of a lifetime for someone. And, just for the record, when I hear concerns about the high prices of some telescopes I always think of the hundreds of motor boats and sailboats here on the coast and dozens of monster trucks and bass boats I see on the road at my Farm that cost far more than this 10" apo plus mount by a long shot and most of those folks are anything but rich. But, the cost for a boat (plus motor and trailer or the fee to keep it docked)  or a truck with wheels 10 feet in diameter (or so it seems, LOL) is considered affordable by many middle class families and therefore ok to buy and own while purchasing a telescope like this would be considered an outrageous purchase by many. Not outrageous at all if you are buying it instead of a boat or truck with far less money needed for maintenance that could be used a hundred years from now, long after those boats and trucks have sunk to the bottom of the sea, rotted unused in someone's back yard or rusted away. Just one man's opinion.

It's the bank's stuff fella. These clowns are only renting these toys at a hefty premium(interest)...do you not get it? That's just one of the reasons I'm not jealous. :smirk:  Mike

#10 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:38 AM

It'd make some fine companion piece to a really large Dob...

I thought about it, but one $50000 scope is enough.

• havasman likes this

#11 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

JimP, on 07 Jul 2016 - 8:25 PM, said:

It's the bank's stuff fella. These clowns are only renting these toys at a hefty premium(interest)...do you not get it? That's just one of the reasons I'm not jealous. :smirk:  Mike

Ah...not exactly...many have the means to acquire what they desire from hard work and being smart with their money. That you would so quickly label everyone who has a toy  a "clown" could be offensive.  :smirk:

#12 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

I agree with you T.r. I meant no offense to anyone who decides they want to buy a boat or truck. I just meant that it's not ourageous for someone to spend that kind of money on a telescope either.
  • gts055, havasman and 2LiveAndDieInLA like this

#13 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

I have a 228 LZOS which costs the same as the TEC. I go to work every day and solve problems for my boss. My work is tough and technical. I purchased my scope because I want to do meaningful things with my life. I have one life and I will do as much with it as I can.

No one in my life has ever given me anything other than a roof over my head and food as a child. As an adult, I have worked for everything I have.

The bank does not own any of my refractors. I paid hard earned cash for each one.

• 3 i Guy, ManuelJ, gts055 and 12 others like this

#14 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

I agree with you T.r. I meant no offense to anyone who decides they want to buy a boat or truck. I just meant that it's not ourageous for someone to spend that kind of money on a telescope either.

Jim, I don't think anyone will take offence with your post. I seemed respectful to me.

• havasman likes this

#15 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

Hey Dave very cool.

Where in DC do you live, like your exact address?

Also, just curious, when do you leave for work, does your house have any security system and, importantly, any large dogs?

Jeff

• 3 i Guy likes this

#16 Carl N

Carl N

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

In that vein, my wife started "noticing" that I have quite a bit of money tied up in my Observatory. My response, "Honey, that's my Porshe that I got for 1/3 the cost of new." Since I drive a 15 year old car instead of a mid-life crisis mobile, she thought a minute and said, "you're right, Good job!"

Edited by Carl N, 08 July 2016 - 11:01 AM.

• JimP, jrbarnett, havasman and 1 other like this

#17 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

ah, it's good to dream!  to see the dream.  This is similar to a proper gentlemen's telescope in the Victorian era - a nice 8 or 10 inch Clark for the estate.   Based on what I've seen in a friend's TEC200 this would be amazing.   The cost isn't outrageous, I'll bet it's way less than what Clark charged in real dollars.

But with this size it's not just the scope…it's the observatory.  and the observatory needs a good property.  I'd need a country property to get away from light pollution.  

• JimP likes this

#18 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hey Dave very cool.

Where in DC do you live, like your exact address?

Also, just curious, when do you leave for work, does your house have any security system and, importantly, any large dogs?

Jeff

Better than an address, here is a link. Should be easy to find. Just ask for Dave when you show up:

• mark8888 likes this

#19 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

In that vein, my wife started "noticing" that I have quite a bit of money tied up in my Observatory. My response, "Honey, that's my Porshe that I got for 1/3 the cost of new." Since I drive a 15 year old car instead of a mid-life crisis mobile, she thought a minute and said, "you're right, Good job!"

You probably can only use this one once but years ago I brought home a new amp and got chastised for spending the $$. I told my (now ex-)wife "Look, I probably make just enough money to keep a girl on the side and hide it successfully but instead I bring this home and we both get to enjoy it here with each other over a glass of wine." That was good enough on the spur of the moment.

• Paul G, bgi, Starman81 and 1 other like this

#20 2LiveAndDieInLA

2LiveAndDieInLA

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

I agree with your post 100 percent.  People buying $100k cars everyday (it's more common than you think) that will depreciate to $20k in 10 years, but most of this optical equipment will at least maintain it's value over 10 years.

Buying one of Yuri's scope is just an exchange of value (from cash to goods).  You can always convert the asset back to cash. A quality product that people want and will continue to want will hold it's value, in my personal opinion.

Edited by 2LiveAndDieInLA, 08 July 2016 - 02:48 PM.

• JimP and doctordub like this

#21 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

Like a lot of you, I'm into refractors.  And wow, TEC is coming out with a 10" one.  And this is a thread about it, enticingly called "TEC APO250VT anyone?", on a message board of astronomy fans. I clicked on the link, naively thinking there would be some talk about the possibilities of the awesome lens, a comment about what features might be visible on Jupiter through the thing in excellent seeing at 500x, thoughts about how long it might take to cool down, whatever.  But instead, it's the same old silly waste of time of a debate about whether or not someone is an idiot, slave or moocher if they spend X amount of dollars on a scope, along with the same (valid) counter-arguments that it will hold its value better than a boat, working hard and being compensated for it is nothing to be ashamed of, etc.  A conversation about money. Threads like this should come with a note in the first post, like, "Just for fun this time, let's discuss the scope (eyepiece, whatever) itself and how it might perform, rather than whether or not a potential owner deserves to have it".

• EverlastingSky likes this

#22 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

Mark, I totally hear you, unfortunately….none of us owns one of these yet!  I'm also curious about the color correction - has anyone deciphered the graphs?  How does it compare to the TEC 160FL or the 200FL/ED scopes?  What is the extra-dispersion element in the lens?

#23 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Perhaps Yuri could chime in...visually, would the 250 have the same color correction of say the 180FL to the eye? The views I had through the 180FL were phenomenal!

#24 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

states are: CA, FL, NY, OH, the TX is possible too - just place and order! And I will try to deliver personally as before.

Are you still thinking? :grin:

Yuri,

Just out of curiosity why this refractor was not called TEC 250FL?

As for your question, no I am not thinking!

When it comes to refractors I have decided to draw the line right at 6”, above that reflectors begin to make more sense to me.

The real reason for my interest in viewing planets through APO250VT was to compare the views to my Mak 250/20, I know the refractor will win hands down if the comparison takes place today but once I complete the Mak's cooling system it could be a different story, or at least that is what I am hoping based on the initial test results.

Vahe

#25 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

Does the TEC 250VT use fluorite?  Doesn't specify on the website.

Mike

• TG likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics