•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New open project “Astronomy Linux”

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#51 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Albufeira, Portugal

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

I do have windows 7 in a virtual box if I need to use windows for something.  I can eliminate windows completely except for a few astrophotography tasks.  Ultimately my goal is to eliminate windows completely.  

I will be checking to download the new beta today.

John

P.S. What are your mount, CCD camera and other hardware for astronomy?

#52 John Duchek

John Duchek

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: New Mexico & Missouri

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:35 PM

I have lots of junk.  I am mostly interested in lunar/planetary photography, time lapse photography, and some spectroscopy which is a new interest for me. 

My mainstay photographic equipment are a modified F/8 8" newtonian, and a new F/15 Mak-Cas 7" skywatcher.  I also have a 10" Orion F/4.7 newtonian. 

All of these can be mounted on my Losmandy G11, GM-8, and my Celestron CG5-GT mounts.  I do visual observing with a 14" dobsonian.

I have an IS 640x480 monochrome camera, a ZWO 3000x2000(max) color camera(178C), and several Canon cameras with various filter options. 

I spend ~4-6 months a year a my place near Carrizozo, New Mexico for the dark skies.  The rest of my time is spent at my home in St. Louis, MO.   The equipment is distributed over both sites.

I am a long time linux user and have settled on Fedora for most of my work.  Ubuntu is not my favorite flavor but I can live with it. 

I saw where you said the new version would take 9 hours to upload.  Here in NM I have "fast" DSL so it will take about 4 hours to download. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to trying it out, and learning to  use the programs with it.

John

• bsavoie likes this

#53 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:38 AM

You can download my new version ubuntu_astronomy_16.04_250916_64bit.iso.

• bsavoie and SteveBz like this

#54 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

46. ... (to be continue)

47. ...

46. AstRawDark helps you manage your astrophotography dark frames library and generate quality master darks by selecting dark frames with temperature matching the lights you have to pre-process

47. Coriander is the Linux graphical user interface (GUI) for controlling a Digital Camera through the IEEE1394 bus (aka FireWire, or iLink). Coriander is full featured and besides changing the parameters of the camera it will also let you record video, send images to an FTP site, convert the video to a V4L stream,... A live display is of course provided too.

48.  Digital Universe, developed by the American Museum of Natural History’s Hayden Planetarium, incorporates data from dozens of organizations worldwide to create the most complete and accurate 3-D atlas of the Universe from the local solar neighborhood out to the edge of the observable Universe.

49. Gaia Sky is a real-time, 3D, astronomy visualisation software that runs on Windows, Linux and OS X. It is developed in the framework of ESA's Gaia mission to chart about 1 billion stars of our Galaxy in the Gaia group of the Astronomisches Rechen-Institut (ZAH, Universität Heidelberg).

50. GIMP v.2.9.5 is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software, you can change its source code and distribute your changes.

51. ImPPG performs Lucy-Richardson deconvolution, unsharp masking, brightness normalization and tone curve adjustment. It can also apply previously specified processing settings to multiple images. All operations are performed using 32-bit floating-point arithmetic.

52. Munipack is a free open source tool which aim is to be a software eye of an astronomer.
Munipack's goal is to implement easy-to-use tools for all astronomical astrometry and photometry, access to Virtual observatory as well as FITS files operations and even more.

53. nip2 aims to be about halfway between Excel and Photoshop. You don't directly edit images --- instead, like a spreadsheet, you build relationships between objects. You enter formula (or select menu items) to describe how to make a new object from some of the objects you already have. nip2 keeps track of these relationships: if you make a change anywhere, nip2 automatically recalculates anything affected by the change.

54. ORBDET may be used to determine the orbits of minor bodies in the planetary system and the orbits of artificial Earth satellites and of space debris.

55. Qastrocam-g2: Linux modified webcam capture software for astronomy. This project is a fork from the great Qastrocam, written by F. Sicard (http://qastrocam.sourceforge.net/).

56. QFitsView is a FITS file viewer similar to SAOimage, DS9, and the like. It was written using the cross-platform QT library and thus runs under Microsoft Windows as well as many flavors of UNIX and MAC OS-X.

57. Stackistry implements the lucky imaging principle of astronomical imaging: creating a high-quality still image out of a series of many (possibly thousands) low quality ones (blurred, deformed, noisy). The resulting image stack typically requires post-processing, including sharpening (e.g. via deconvolution). Such post-processing is not performed by Stackistry.

58. Ginga is a toolkit designed for building viewers for scientific image data in Python, visualizing 2D pixel data in numpy arrays. It can view astronomical data such as contained in files based on the FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) file format. It is written and is maintained by software engineers at the Subaru Telescope, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan.

59. GuLinux Planetary Imager is Qt capture software for astronomy, mainly planetary shooting. Currently this application supports only QHY based cameras, mainly QHY5IIm-L (the one I had until a few months ago). It also has support for V4L compliant cameras, and initial support for ZWO ASI cameras.

60. DCD is a client program compatible with the INDI standard (see http://indi.sourceforge.net) for remote telescope and device control. It works under Windows as well as Linux. It is writen in Python and uses the GTK in order to display the GUI.

61. Corrida is an application for archivation of meteor observations

Edited by Oleg Astro, 26 September 2016 - 05:52 AM.

• Messierthanwhat and SteveBz like this

#55 John Duchek

John Duchek

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

I did download it and it seems very well behaved so far.  It did not need the efi box checked to install correctly.  It would not install directly from the menu command to do so. Instead it went to the live version which did install without problem.  My head is swimming with all the programs included. 

THanks,

John

• Oleg Astro and Terroll like this

#56 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

I did download it and it seems very well behaved so far.  It did not need the efi box checked to install correctly.  It would not install directly from the menu command to do so. Instead it went to the live version which did install without problem.  My head is swimming with all the programs included. 

THanks,

John

This version was created in VirtualBox.

On the other hand, previous version is the backup from my home computer with motherboard Asus P9X79 WS.

#57 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

And?

I need your feedback.

• SteveBz likes this

#58 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:29 AM

running latest iso on qotom q190. first up - oaCapture works on asi178mm

Attached Thumbnails

• astro.jpg

• Oleg Astro likes this

#59 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:19 AM

stellarium would not connect to my hdx110 on /dev/ttyUSB0. looks like astronom user is not in dialout group. works as root...

picocom/minicom would be nice

Edited by brave_ulysses, 01 October 2016 - 01:34 AM.

#60 Piero DP

Piero DP

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, UK

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:04 AM

Very interesting project!
  • Oleg Astro likes this

#61 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:26 AM

Also, you can try these programs for astrophoto/video capture:

CCDciel for photo and video (it's an INDI client).

KStars for photo and video (it's an INDI client).

and

Planetary Imager (Currently supports V4L2, ZWO and QHY devices).

OpenSkyImager

Qastrocam-g2

Entangle

wxAstroCapture

and GoQat ((it's an INDI client):

"GoQat is a hardware control and data acquisition program for astronomy on the Linux platform. It has an INDI client to control any device with an INDI driver and has native support for any CCD camera from Quantum Scientific Imaging and any Starlight Xpress USB 2.0 camera. It can also control Starlight Xpress filter wheels. GoQat can guide mounts via a serial/USB port, parallel port or autoguider port. Autoguider cameras include Starlight Xpress cameras and any video-for-linux devices such as webcams or frame-grabbers. GoQat implements some features of the Losmandy Gemini system and focusing via Robofocus is fully supported. GoQat is multithreaded and tuned to give as smooth a performance as possible, even on single processor machines".

Edited by Oleg Astro, 01 October 2016 - 06:37 AM.

• bsavoie likes this

#62 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:03 AM

stellarium would not connect to my hdx110 on /dev/ttyUSB0. looks like astronom user is not in dialout group. works as root...

sudo usermod -a -G dialout astronom

Edited by Oleg Astro, 01 October 2016 - 07:03 AM.

#63 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:41 AM

hi oleg,

i'll try these as time allows. i couldn't get the frame rate over usb3 that is thought i should get with oaCapture - any ideas?

Also, you can try these programs for astrophoto/video capture:

CCDciel for photo and video (it's an INDI client).

KStars for photo and video (it's an INDI client).

and

Planetary Imager (Currently supports V4L2, ZWO and QHY devices).

OpenSkyImager

Qastrocam-g2

Entangle

wxAstroCapture

and GoQat ((it's an INDI client):

"GoQat is a hardware control and data acquisition program for astronomy on the Linux platform. It has an INDI client to control any device with an INDI driver and has native support for any CCD camera from Quantum Scientific Imaging and any Starlight Xpress USB 2.0 camera. It can also control Starlight Xpress filter wheels. GoQat can guide mounts via a serial/USB port, parallel port or autoguider port. Autoguider cameras include Starlight Xpress cameras and any video-for-linux devices such as webcams or frame-grabbers. GoQat implements some features of the Losmandy Gemini system and focusing via Robofocus is fully supported. GoQat is multithreaded and tuned to give as smooth a performance as possible, even on single processor machines".

#64 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

You can write to oaCapture author.

Edited by Oleg Astro, 01 October 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#65 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:48 AM

i fixed it with "sudo adduser astronom dialout". would be a good thing to have out of the box along with a terminal emulation program.

this ubuntu astronomy project is exactly what i have been looking for. thanks for working on it!

sudo usermod -a -G dialout astronom

#66 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

thanks for the link

after the installation was complete, the /etc/apt directory was missing. have you experienced this?

You can write to oaCapture author.

#67 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

would be a good thing to have out of the box along with a terminal emulation program.

Maybe I don't understand this moment...

#68 John Duchek

John Duchek

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

I have been going through and trying to organize all the programs by use by putting them into folders.  Thus far most everything is loading and running, but I haven't put it to real use.

I do have a comment about oacapture running a ZWO 178c but it is not about U.A..   I was running the 178c under windows 7 and windows 10. Using the software they suggest the USB 3.0 port on my laptop (Dell inspiron).  The software (firecapture and one other) reported it was a usb2.0 port though windows was calling it 3.0.  I was getting typical usb 2.0 rates.

I tried to load oacapture 1.0 (current version) in Fedora Linux 24 and it would run but crash when you started recording.  I dropped back to Fedora 23 and oacapture 0.9  (same version as you are using in U.A.)   and I was getting upto 170 fps at 600x800 so it was using the usb3.0 (same laptop, so it wasn't hardware).

Thus far I only have U.A. in a virtual box.  I need to get a laptop with a usb3.0 port up and running to see how the ubuntu version handles it.  I am working on it.....

I will comment on individual programs as I learn about them.

BTW, I note you have xephem on here.  I used to be a registered user til l couldn't get it to run on a 64 bit machine.   This is running fine, but I am having trouble getting it to remember the local time setting.   I set it for MDT which is GMT -6 hours.  It keeps going back to 24 hours the default.  Probably a Xephem bug as the other settings (latitude, longitude) are holding.  I mention it in passing.

• brave_ulysses likes this

#69 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

have the distro setup with user astromon already in group dialout so the user doesn't have to add it.

astronom@ubuntu:/tmp$ groups
astronom adm dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxsf
astronom@ubuntu:/tmp$

and add picocom (or similar) for serial/usb troubleshooting

hope that makes sense

would be a good thing to have out of the box along with a terminal emulation program.

Maybe I don't understand this moment...

• Oleg Astro likes this

#70 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

thanks, john. i have some bios setting to fool with and a couple of other boxes i can try

your vm has the usb extension pack and usb3 selected (sorry, gotta ask...)?

I have been going through and trying to organize all the programs by use by putting them into folders.  Thus far most everything is loading and running, but I haven't put it to real use.

I do have a comment about oacapture running a ZWO 178c but it is not about U.A..   I was running the 178c under windows 7 and windows 10. Using the software they suggest the USB 3.0 port on my laptop (Dell inspiron).  The software (firecapture and one other) reported it was a usb2.0 port though windows was calling it 3.0.  I was getting typical usb 2.0 rates.

I tried to load oacapture 1.0 (current version) in Fedora Linux 24 and it would run but crash when you started recording.  I dropped back to Fedora 23 and oacapture 0.9  (same version as you are using in U.A.)   and I was getting upto 170 fps at 600x800 so it was using the usb3.0 (same laptop, so it wasn't hardware).

Thus far I only have U.A. in a virtual box.  I need to get a laptop with a usb3.0 port up and running to see how the ubuntu version handles it.  I am working on it.....

I will comment on individual programs as I learn about them.

BTW, I note you have xephem on here.  I used to be a registered user til l couldn't get it to run on a 64 bit machine.   This is running fine, but I am having trouble getting it to remember the local time setting.   I set it for MDT which is GMT -6 hours.  It keeps going back to 24 hours the default.  Probably a Xephem bug as the other settings (latitude, longitude) are holding.  I mention it in passing.

Attached Thumbnails

• usb.png

#71 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

after the installation was complete, the /etc/apt directory was missing. have you experienced this?

Hmm... You can add the /etc/apt directory from attached archive apt.zip:

Attached Files

• Attached File  apt.zip   43.08KB   11 downloads

Edited by Oleg Astro, 01 October 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#72 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

hi oleg,

if you are taking requests...

something to do data reduction of interferograms - similar to openfringe

#73 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

i copied the directory from another linux box. i'll install in a vm and see if it repeats

Hmm... You can add the /etc/apt directory from attached archive apt.zip:

#74 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

I do have a comment about oacapture running a ZWO 178c but it is not about U.A..   I was running the 178c under windows 7 and windows 10. Using the software they suggest the USB 3.0 port on my laptop (Dell inspiron).

Also, you can try the CCDciel.

#75 John Duchek

John Duchek

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

yes it does.   Today I am going to wipe the fedora 23 installation from my laptop and install U.A.  I will see how oacapture and the others work with the 178c with no virtual box.   We will see how it goes.   The windows 10 installation wasn't virtualbox.  It was what came with the inspiron.  usb3.0 sticks work with the port, but the camera drops to USB 2.0.  (I have multiple hd on my laptops and just swap them around like floppies so if it sounds confusing it is because I have 3 or 4 OSs available on each of my laptops)

I will post later today about how the camera is dealing with the system.

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics