•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

21mm Ethos - how is it?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Blueox4

Blueox4

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

I'd really like to get a 21mm Ethos.  Super expensive though. Not much feedback. I figure with a Powermate it's got a lot of versatility too. I'm using a Nexus DSC on a Doublestar mount so though I've never had a eyepiece with this wide of view it should allow more view time before I have to move my mount compared to a Delite or Pentax XW? If it does it may be worth it.  

#2 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:59 PM

I spent a couple of years going back and forth between the 21 Ethos and a 26T5 Nagler. Both are great eyepieces and offer virtually identical FOV.  Finally, I decided to stick with the 21 Ethos. It offers a slightly smaller exit pupil, which gives a darker background and more contrast.

I like to estimate variable stars, so I need eyepieces that deliver great views clear across the FOV.  The 21E does the job for me.

You probably won't hear much feedback - there is nothing to complain about except for the cost. :flowerred:

Ron

• Scott in NC, Jeff Bennett, AZStarGuy and 2 others like this

#3 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

It would be pretty fantastic in your TEC 140. . . or, alternatively, you might consider the 17 which is not too shabby.

• 3 i Guy and Blueox4 like this

#4 j3ffr0

j3ffr0

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

In addition to cost, the other downside to the 21 Ethos is the size/weight.  It's a big, heavy eyepiece and it can throw of the balance of your scope.  Optically it's great.  Awesome with the Powermate too, but that adds yet another pound.  If you like the Ethos eyepieces you will like looking through the Ethos 21.  It's pretty amazing to have a mid power eyepiece with such a huge true field of view.  

• Blueox4 likes this

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

I find it excellent in all my telescopes.  I still have a 20mm XW also, but I probably use the 21mm Ethos more (used to be the reverse).

Mike

• Blueox4 likes this

#6 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

I really, really like mine, great eyepiece in all my scopes.

• Blueox4 likes this

#7 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: Portishead, SW England - mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

Superb eyepiece in all my scopes. I've spent whole sessions with my 12" dobsonian and the 21mm Ethos staying in the focuser. Here is a well written report on this eyepiece:

http://alpha-lyrae.c...os-21mm-review/

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

I'm on my second (and I believe final) 21mm Ethos now.  I had one, then decided it was a lot of money to have tied up in a single eyepiece, and sold it to a fellow CN'er.  I thought I'd make do with my 31T5 Nagler instead (yet another eyepiece that I owned, then sold, then rebought).  But after not too long (less than a month, in fact), I came to my senses and realized that both the 21E and 31T5 had their niches.  So now I'm a happy owner of both, and plan to stay one for a long, long time.  I think I'm just about done playing the eyepiece merry-go-round now, as I'm happy with what I have.  :ubetcha:

• cuzimthedad, RAKing, AZStarGuy and 3 others like this

#9 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

I'm on my second (and I believe final) 21mm Ethos now.  I had one, then decided it was a lot of money to have tied up in a single eyepiece, and sold it to a fellow CN'er.  I thought I'd make do with my 31T5 Nagler instead (yet another eyepiece that I owned, then sold, then rebought).  But after not too long (less than a month, in fact), I came to my senses and realized that both the 21E and 31T5 had their niches.  So now I'm a happy owner of both, and plan to stay one for a long, long time.  I think I'm just about done playing the eyepiece merry-go-round now, as I'm happy with what I have.  :ubetcha:

Definitely enough difference(s) IMO to have both. 

Mike

#10 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

In addition to cost, the other downside to the 21 Ethos is the size/weight.

Its a bit lighter than my 9ESD120 and almost exactly the weight of my 31NT5.

Now the 13E and 17E definitely need a bit of weight added to them...........

#11 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:31 PM

It would be pretty fantastic in your TEC 140. . . or, alternatively, you might consider the 17 which is not too shabby.

I have both the 21E and 17E, and though the 21E is a permanent keeper, I often actually prefer the 17E to my tastes in my NP101 refractor and 12" f/4.9 reflector.  The modest sacrifice in TFOV is more than compensated by the modestly smaller exit pupil (darker skies against whatever light pollution is present), modestly greater magnification, and lighter weight.  The 21E is a beast whose weight and bulk are nearly identical to the 31T5 TermiNagler.

That said, I'd highly recommend either one of them - The view of the summer Milky Way through either one of them in a scope with good optics is simply sublime.  The viewing characteristics of the Ethos line are remarkably uniform across the entire line (I own the entire set), except of course for differences inherent in different focal lengths, so there is no need to worry about whether some focal-lengths are inherently better than others in the line.  You only need ask which focal-length(s) is/are most useful to your needs with the Ethos.

• Blueox4 likes this

#12 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:11 PM

As much as I like the 21E, I'm with Chris. I find myself reaching for the 17E more often to better suit my sky conditions.

It was supposed to replace my 22T4 but that hasn't happened. The 21E is clearly sharper across the field but I find the 22T4 so immersively immersive, so comfortable, so light compared to the 21E that I just can't give it up. I'll hang onto my 21E however because I won't live in the city forever.

Mark

• Starman1 and Blueox4 like this

#13 allen g

allen g

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:15 PM

It is one of the finest EPs you can buy. Absolutely GREAT!

#14 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:40 AM

Superb eyepiece in all my scopes. I've spent whole sessions with my 12" dobsonian and the 21mm Ethos staying in the focuser. Here is a well written report on this eyepiece:

http://alpha-lyrae.c...os-21mm-review/

Same here. Typically I will use both Ethos 21 and Nagler 31 in the beginning of a session and then settle for one of the two. Lately it is the 21 Ethos all the way.

A brilliant eyepiece but as mentioned, a bit of a porker  :lol:

• John Huntley and Blueox4 like this

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:46 AM

21mm Ethos - how is it?

I just got my 21 Ethos a couple weeks ago.  I'll find out next New Moon, weather permitting.  I don't bother using heavy, low-power, wide-field eyepieces here in the red zone.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 July 2016 - 06:51 AM.

#16 Tank

Tank

Soyuz

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

The Ethos 21 is a great EP

Had it loved it sold it

only reasons I sold it was

1 $$$ is steep

2 I bought a 20mm XWA WO I found it very close in performance for a fraction of the cost and truth be told I liked the WO XWA a bit better in a few scopes and in certain ways.

Bottom line thou you will be very happy with  the 21 Ethos your wallet wont!

• Blueox4 likes this

#17 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

This eyepiece is one I would want to try before buy. But (even without glasses) if it was OK, I would get it.

The problem is nowhere and nobody near me has one to look through. Maybe just as well.....

• cuzimthedad, John Huntley, NC Startrekker and 1 other like this

#18 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

This eyepiece is one I would want to try before buy. But (even without glasses) if it was OK, I would get it.

The problem is nowhere and nobody near me has one to look through. Maybe just as well.....

IMO, no need to try before you buy; you only need to be able to answer three questions which don't necessarily require having the eyepiece:

1) Are you willing to pay the price for admission ($650+ on the used market)?

2) Can your focuser and mount handle the weight?  However, the 21mm Ethos is no heavier than any of the other 20ish mm 100 degree offerings.

3) Do you wear glasses to observe?  The 21E's 15mm eye relief precludes many (perhaps most) eyeglass wearers from being able to see the full field.  I don't wear eyeglasses to observe but still have to roll my eye around to see the full field stop.

Looking through it will only tell you what you can read over and over here on this forum.  Most agree that of the 100's available, Ethos are leaders when it comes to edge of field sharpness.  Some have commented that the Ethos have a slightly warmer tone but I personally have not noticed that even in direct comparison to the Delos.

Best of luck with your decision.

Edited by NC Startrekker, 18 April 2019 - 10:38 AM.

• Scott in NC and Tyson M like this

#19 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region & Cumberland Valley, Kentucky

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:28 PM

The 21-mm Ethos is simply an exceptional eyepiece.  About the same weight of the 31-mm Nagler, with virtually the same TFoV.

Randy

#20 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

I wish it had 16-17mm ER... :(

I tried 15mm and its just too hard to see the full field.  I let go a 10Ethos which was one of the nicest, sharpest eyepieces I have ever looked through. 

• Procyon and 25585 like this

#21 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

IMO, no need to try before you buy; you only need to be able to answer three questions which don't necessarily require having the eyepiece:

1) Are you willing to pay the price for admission ($650+ on the used market)?

2) Can your focuser and mount handle the weight?  However, the 21mm Ethos is no heavier than any of the other 20ish mm 100 degree offerings.

3) Do you wear glasses to observe?  The 21E's 15mm eye relief precludes many (perhaps most) eyeglass wearers from being able to see the full field.  I don't wear eyeglasses to observe but still have to roll my eye around to see the full field stop.

Looking through it will only tell you what you can read over and over here on this forum.  Most agree that of the 100's available, Ethos are leaders when it comes to edge of field sharpness.  Some have commented that the Ethos have a slightly warmer tone but I personally have not noticed that even in direct comparison to the Delos.

Best of luck with your decision.

I think 3) would be the no-buy criteria.

Tyson M, get yourself a 17mm ES92. Less FoV, good eye relief, but true spacewalk immersiveness. ES overtook TV for innovation there.

• Procyon, Tyson M and rkelley8493 like this

#22 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

I think 3) would be the no-buy criteria.

Tyson M, get yourself a 17mm ES92. Less FoV, good eye relief, but true spacewalk immersiveness. ES overtook TV for innovation there.

21 Ethos is a great eyepiece, and has none of the negative specs that people look for in an eyepiece, i.e. coma, astigmatism, EOFB, etc. I just don't see how any eyepiece could compete with the Explore Sci 92's and be better, unless they match/increase the size of the eye lens & eye relief and somehow made it lighter in weight.  When I look thru the 21 Ethos, my thoughts are "Oh, that's really nice!" But when I look thru the ES 92's, my thoughts are "WOW! That's amazing!!" 

• dryfly and 25585 like this

#23 paulh83

paulh83

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

The 21 mm Ethos is one of my favorites. I bought one then thought I could replace it with a 31 mm Nagler so I sold the 21E. After about 6 months, I realized my mistake and got a replacement. 

• NC Startrekker likes this

#24 Tank

Tank

Soyuz

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

so just to elaborate

liked the XWA WO 20 better in some scopes but mainly slower scopes

liked the 21 Ethos better in faster scopes with coma corrector

17 ES 92 does great in faster and slower and has ER

pick what is right for you

• 25585 likes this

#25 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

The 21 mm Ethos is one of my favorites. I bought one then thought I could replace it with a 31 mm Nagler so I sold the 21E. After about 6 months, I realized my mistake and got a replacement. 

I have both and use both. Each has its place among my tools. 

• Jon Isaacs, junomike and havasman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics