•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you see last night in your binoculars? (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1486 replies to this topic

#1476 CAAD9

CAAD9

Viking 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

Another hour long drive out to a semi rural site for some darker skies. Due to waxing moon i tried to nap in the evening then left home around 11pm.  Luckily the local farmer didn't park his bovines on the lookout grounds like he did on Wednesday night, so I didn't need to divert to alt site A.  Yes - I have contingency sites around my preferred observing spots. This time I didn't bother with any telescopes, just brought zero-g, 18x50is and 10x42is.

The Milky Way was high from the Eastern horizon to the West and for the most part I concentrated on the star rich MW.  

First time view objects included: IC2488, Ngc2925 & 2866 near the False Cross and Ngc1647 and 1746 in Taurus.  These are all open clusters.  

Also noticed in a whole population of small open clusters to the left (north I think) of ngc 2546.  These include 2567, 2571 etc.  the thing is that this is a particularly rich star field and while I could tell where the small OCs where as I panned the binos, I found it impossible to identify which was precisely which.  

I also noticed for the the first time that under sufficiently dark skies ngc 2546, m46 & m47 are naked eye objects.  

I saw a heck of a lot of detail some of which I recognised and some not.  I could have spent more time with the sky map trying to figure out what is what but decided to balance the wonder of looking with the incessant curiosity to know what I'm looking at.  

I find the two binoculars to be complementary - the wider fov of 10x42 and greater detail of the 18x work very well together.  I'm also really glad I didn't bother with any telescopes because the temptation to keep going deeper was removed.  

Next time though it will Dob night.  

Clear Dark Skies to you all.

#1477 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Hubble

• Loc: 802,701½ C.E.

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

Attached is a finder chart created in SkyTools 3 for asteroid (20) Massalia. I spotted it easily two nights ago with my Swarovski 15x56 around 4 AM PST. At the moment, Massalia is mid-8th magnitude and zipping along in Taurus. It is also very close to the Crab Nebula which was also observed.

North is up with a 4.5° FOV circle.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20-Massalia.jpg

#1478 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:44 AM

Went out about 10 pm this Christmas Eve with 15x70 binoculars to look for "Mira" as the night before was clouded over. Though it was heavily scattered clouds tonight, I had a few minutes of clear sky to view Mira, - naked eye and thru the binoc's. It looked great. Managed to  view M42/M45/M35, the main stars of Orion and Gemini, and Auriga and a little more, but got shut out in about 15 minutes. Grabbed my tripod and chair as a neighbor out late to take clothes off a line, - started talking to me saying Hi There, - What are you doing  over here, - etc. so I just got up to go and said I was just looking for a "Particular Star". She was Startled! She thought she was calming one of the neighbors Cows, that sometimes wander into our area.  Even the "MOO-n was clouded over.

#1479 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Sorry for the lack of communication, I am in CO right now.  Clouds have been everywhere and same with that crazy white stuff.  It is clear now, so tonight maybe good.  I have my 15x70’s ready (which I took on this vacation).

Clear Skies!:)

#1480 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Apollo

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

The night is clear, and very cold here in Michigan. First light for my Redfield 10x50 binos and parallelogram mount.

Dialed into Pleiades for a nice crisp view. What a nice sight. They fill the FOV and are bright.

Next I looked for Orion and found the great Nebula. Outstanding. I called my wife out for a look. She was impressed.

It's about 5ºF outside, so we packed it up and came in. I'm happy.

#1481 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

I am staying at a condo (in Glenwood Springs, CO) where there is a lot of light.  I took the 15x70 binos out and I looked at the more bright objects. I will be back in AZ about the 4th of Jan.

M45

Cr 62/69/70

NGC 752

NGC 1647

NGC 1746

M34/35/36/37/38

Clear Skies, and I hope all of you enjoyed your Christmas!:)

#1482 Dutch Countryman

Dutch Countryman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Pennsylvania

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

Last night (26th) - The Christmas Tree cluster, NGC 2264.  Not the best conditions, but after sufficient darkness adjustment the shape could be seen, with the tree topper pointing southwest.

Tonight (27th) - NGC 2281 in Auriga and...CERES!  Finally, after many attempts!

#1483 YukonJack

YukonJack

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

I stepped outside this morning before sunrise under fairly clear skies and -5 degree temps in my PJ's and just looked around.  Venus is still a beacon and a few brighter stars were visible.  I have never observed in this kind of coldness but I wonder if the skies would be more favorable with low humidity and good transparency.  Still too many X-mas lights and other porch lights burning even at 6 A.M. Maybe I will try an early morning session soon except that by the time I set up and become dark adapted I might be half froze. 

#1484 CAAD9

CAAD9

Viking 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

Welcome Jack. From the cold of the Yukon to dodging mosquitoes in Queensland.

I had about 3 minutes with the Moon after taking the garbage out. grin.gif

The Jura Mountains were brilliantly illuminated as they were right on the terminator.  Clavius and it's to subsidiary craters were very clear as well.  Awesome in the 18x50IS.  Then the clouds came in.

Clear dark skies to all.

Edited by CAAD9, 28 December 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#1485 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

Welcome Jack. From the cold of the Yukon to dodging mosquitoes in Queensland.

I had about 3 minutes with the Moon after taking the garbage out. grin.gif

The Jura Mountains were brilliantly illuminated as they were right on the terminator.  Clavius and it's to subsidiary craters were very clear as well.  Awesome in the 18x50IS.  Then the clouds came in.

Clear dark skies to all.

This just got me out with my 18x50IS binoculars.

December 29, 2017

Evening

17:45. I stepped out front with the 18x50IS binoculars to look at the moon. Aristarchus was ablaze, and Mare Humorum was prominent as were the mountains on its eastern side. The crater Schiller, southwest of Mare Humorum, just looked like a bright gash low on the moon. It was the south rim that was shining so brightly. Tycho also caught my eye.

Edited by JHollJr, 29 December 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#1486 celestronlover57

celestronlover57

Gemini

• Loc: Mississippi

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

Not handling cold weather as well as I used to, but still managed a quick look at the moon with my Bushnell Elite 7x26 binoculars. 

#1487 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:14 PM

https://www.cloudyni...oculars-part-2/

Will take you to Part 2

https://www.cloudyni...oculars-part-3/

Will Take you to Part 3

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics