•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SharpCap v2.9 python script - SequenceCapture

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

I wrote a python script to capture sequences of pics in SharpCap v2.9.  Link to finished script got lost in a thread while developing it, so here is new thread to finished CaptureSequence v1.1 script.

Go here and click on "Download Zip", extract script, and then in SharpCap click on Scripting->RunScript and select script.  You will see a window pop up with three options.

Capture1.jpg

The first selection captures non-stacked PNG pics at regular intervals in seconds and saves to EarthSequence folder.  This is great for collecting pics to make a cloud movie using free VirtualDub program.

The second selection captures stacked PNG pics at regular intervals in seconds and saves to CometSequence folder.  This is great for collecting pics to make a comet movie using free VirtualDub program.  User must manually start stacking first. Ignore the saved path name in green line as pics are saved in CometSequence folder.

The third selection captures DSOs in progressively longer stacked FIT32 pics in normal SharpCap folder.  This is good for taking periodic progressively longer pics while stacking.  You can do other things instead of watching screen.  User must manually start stacking first.

It has some quirks, such as never reduce SharpCap window and Capture script window at same time or you'll have to kill it with Task Manager.  Sometimes you have to click "Stop" more than once, but status above tells you if it is running or idle.  Only way to exit script is to exit SharpCap. 

• Relativist, S1mas, OleCuss and 3 others like this

#2 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

I think I'm going to try the SharpCap "Comet movie" script tonight on Honda 45P comet as its high in the east.  Previous tinkering showed stacking for 5-20 seconds worked well, depending on comet speed. This one is moving fast, so maybe closer to 5 seconds?  I'll take as many PNGs as possible while comet remains in frame.  Haven't seen an EAA movie on 45P yet.  A precision GEM mount would be best, but my clunky alt-az will have to do.  Someone show me up, I dare you. :)  Stay tuned.

• Robrj likes this

#3 Censustaker

Censustaker

Apollo

• Loc: Utah

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

I was able to observe it two nights ago, it was still fairly low but it was barely visible for me. I was only able to confirm detection by comparing two images

#4 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:15 AM

I experienced the same thing.  Heavens-Above and SNP said it was magnitude 6, but more like magnitude 16.  Took me a long time to realize that, then got three consecutive (100sec stack) frames before wind shut me down.  Put them in a loop here.  Can barely see it when full screen.  We are over due for a bright comet!

Edited by CharlesC, 25 February 2017 - 01:15 AM.

• OleCuss likes this

#5 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Made a movie of comet 46P using above script.  Used LN300 camera and Celestron C5 750mm F6 with .5 focal reducer. Set camera to 1 second exposures stacked for 15 seconds in Sharpcap for each frame. 30 minutes compressed into 5 seconds.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• OleCuss, cshine and descott12 like this

#6 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Gemini

• Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

Is this script only for v 2.9 or can I run it in 3.2 Pro?

#7 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:47 PM

Is this script only for v 2.9 or can I run it in 3.2 Pro?

I don't know if it will work with 3.2 Pro as I don't have that version.  It may require modification, or might work.

Made another comet movie using this script of Comet Iwamoto Y1.  It is throwing off material.  This happened at  9:43pm EST on 9/13/2019.

https://www.cloudyni...ting/?p=9147123

Edited by CharlesC, 15 February 2019 - 02:05 PM.

#8 cshine

cshine

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

I don't know if it will work with 3.2 Pro as I don't have that version.  It may require modification, or might work.

I just tested with v3.2 Pro.. The EarthSequence and CometSequence seemed to work fine but the FITS capture threw an exception on this line:

SharpCap.Transforms.SelectedTransform.FrameTransform.SaveFrame(32, False)

SaveFrame apparently needs a str as the 2nd arg, not a bool .. I took a gamble on that string being the filename and it worked! So a change to something like this is probably needed:

filename = "%s\\fitsSequence\\%s\\%s_%ds.fits" % (SharpCap.CaptureFolder, SharpCap.TargetName, SharpCap.TargetName, cnt)

print "CAPTURING 32bit FITS IMAGE: %s" % filename
SharpCap.Transforms.SelectedTransform.FrameTransform.SaveFrame(32, filename)

It works fine now except that SC doesn't report the filename properly when saving the .fits:

fits_capture.JPG

I had no idea SC supported Python scripting so this was a fun learning experience!

• CharlesC likes this

#9 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

Thanks!  I'll have to add that fix and put up a new python script version for Sharpcap 3.2.

Free free to use script any way you wish to add new features or make other scripts.  It is open source.

Edit:  I just recalled script has camera resolution hard coded in three places such as (720,576).

If you use camera other than standard PAL you will have to manually change those three places to match your camera.

I never figured out to automatically do that.  Perhaps someone else can, otherwise those script edits are required.

Edited by CharlesC, 16 February 2019 - 09:55 AM.

• DSO_Viewer and cshine like this

#10 CharlesC

CharlesC

Gemini

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

I just created a demo video on how to use VirtualDub to create a comet movie here.

Also created CN thread on VirtualDub here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics