•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX850 Mount

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#26 galaxy_jason

galaxy_jason

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

A 360 dec spin is not normal. If turn off the mount either side of the meridian then turn it back on and hit

mode for menu, it should take the shortest way back to 90. If you are seeing this spin every time then the

cables are wrapping internally. Not good. 

#27 mindshare

mindshare

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:02 AM

Are these Meade 850 made in Mexico?

Edited by mindshare, 14 December 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#28 sidis5

sidis5

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

Yes

#29 csauer52

csauer52

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Interesting thread. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 14" LX850 and I'm interested to know how the optics are on these scopes since the buyout back in 2013. If I read correctly, the OTAs are made in Mexico these days?

I've been out of the hobby for almost a decade and I've found bits and pieces relating to Meade's financial woes here on the forum. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the current situation given the price of these scope/mount combos. For those of you with the 850 mount, what are your thoughts around the long term reliability of the mount and the ability to solicit repairs in 5 years, 10 years etc? I'd hate to have an issue with the electronics in a few years which leads to a useless mount. The price point is really enticing given what you get out of the box, I'm just hoping I'd get many happy years to come....

Chris

#30 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

Interesting thread. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 14" LX850 and I'm interested to know how the optics are on these scopes since the buyout back in 2013. If I read correctly, the OTAs are made in Mexico these days?

I've been out of the hobby for almost a decade and I've found bits and pieces relating to Meade's financial woes here on the forum. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the current situation given the price of these scope/mount combos. For those of you with the 850 mount, what are your thoughts around the long term reliability of the mount and the ability to solicit repairs in 5 years, 10 years etc? I'd hate to have an issue with the electronics in a few years which leads to a useless mount. The price point is really enticing given what you get out of the box, I'm just hoping I'd get many happy years to come....

Chris

It looks like this was your first post, even though you have been a member for years I want to welcome you to CN!!

A lot of your answer would depend on your skill set.  If I could afford it, I would buy it if the only thing that concerned me was the electronics as I feel I could fix any issue there.  The problem I would have is I am weaker in mechanical issues but can usually work through them, but optics is beyond me if there is a big issue like needing to take out the mirror, have it recoated, and then put everything back together and tune it.  That would really scare me!!  I hope I never face that with my 8" scope!!

#31 johnpane

johnpane

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wexford, PA, USA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

I can't say anything about the optics because I purchased the LX850 mount only. I purchased it almost exactly two years ago.

My experience is colored by 1) my accident in the first day of attempted use, in which I inflicted damage to the mount (but not the Starlock); 2) living at a site that affords clear dark skies only occasionally; and 3) the fact that I set this up every time I use it -- puting the onus on me to get it properly leveled and aligned each time.

I sent the mount to Mexico twice to fix the self-inflicted damage, and paid a hefty fee for repair along with significant shipping costs. Of course, these costs, or at least the first back-and-forth, are reasonably borne by me because it was my fault. But when it came back a second time with severe issues, Meade replaced it with a new mount. A strike against Meade's technical repair capability but strongly in favor of Meade's customer service!

The physical damage issues obscured an issue with the StarLock that was present out-of-the-box, though it took a while to determine this. Meade also replaced this under warranty, a second strike in favor of Meade's customer service.

Resolving those issues took 14 months, at which point I essentially had an as-new kit. Mechanically, it seems to be working superbly. However, to this date I cannot say for sure the StarLock is performing as advertised. It offers many signs it is operating correctly, but I continue to see accumulating drift during an imaging session when my expectation is that auto-guiding should nullify this. Despite the amount of time that has elapsed since receiving the as-new equipment (about 10 months) I cannot say for certain this isn't operator error; however, I am approaching that point of clarity.

Finally, I strongly recommend that you look closely at posts by OzAndrewJ on this site. He owns the LX600, I think, but that mount shares many features with the LX850. He has identified bugs in Meade's code, and reported those bugs to Meade a long time ago, yet there has been no evidence that Meade intends to fix those bugs. The Starlock and LX850 firmware have not been updated at all in the past two years, despite these known bugs. This speaks a lot about their support intentions, and is a major strike against Meade, in my opinion. It highly relevant to your concern about having "an issue with the electronics in a few years". That situation _may_ already be present.

In sum, it seems uncertain that Meade's technical capability is strong, though their customer service has stood by their product, so far, for me.

Edited by johnpane, 08 January 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#32 csauer52

csauer52

Viking 1

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

Chris

It looks like this was your first post, even though you have been a member for years I want to welcome you to CN!!

A lot of your answer would depend on your skill set.  If I could afford it, I would buy it if the only thing that concerned me was the electronics as I feel I could fix any issue there.  The problem I would have is I am weaker in mechanical issues but can usually work through them, but optics is beyond me if there is a big issue like needing to take out the mirror, have it recoated, and then put everything back together and tune it.  That would really scare me!!  I hope I never face that with my 8" scope!!

Thanks for the welcome.  :). I'd consider myself an advanced user albeit quite rusty at the moment. But it's like riding a bike right?  

#33 sidis5

sidis5

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

I can't say anything about the optics because I purchased the LX850 mount only. I purchased it almost exactly two years ago.

My experience is colored by 1) my accident in the first day of attempted use, in which I inflicted damage to the mount (but not the Starlock); 2) living at a site that affords clear dark skies only occasionally; and 3) the fact that I set this up every time I use it -- puting the onus on me to get it properly leveled and aligned each time.

I sent the mount to Mexico twice to fix the self-inflicted damage, and paid a hefty fee for repair along with significant shipping costs. Of course, these costs, or at least the first back-and-forth, are reasonably borne by me because it was my fault. But when it came back a second time with severe issues, Meade replaced it with a new mount. A strike against Meade's technical repair capability but strongly in favor of Meade's customer service!

The physical damage issues obscured an issue with the StarLock that was present out-of-the-box, though it took a while to determine this. Meade also replaced this under warranty, a second strike in favor of Meade's customer service.

Resolving those issues took 14 months, at which point I essentially had an as-new kit. Mechanically, it seems to be working superbly. However, to this date I cannot say for sure the StarLock is performing as advertised. It offers many signs it is operating correctly, but I continue to see accumulating drift during an imaging session when my expectation is that auto-guiding should nullify this. Despite the amount of time that has elapsed since receiving the as-new equipment (about 9 months) I cannot say for certain this isn't operator error; however, I am approaching to that point of clarity.

Finally, I strongly recommend that you look closely at posts by OzAndrewJ on this site. He owns the LX600, I think, but that mount shares many features with the LX850. He has identified bugs in Meade's code, and reported those bugs to Meade a long time ago, yet there has been no evidence that Meade intends to fix those bugs. The Starlock and LX850 firmware have not been updated at all in the past two years, despite these known bugs. This speaks a lot about their support intentions, and is a major strike against Meade, in my opinion. It highly relevant to your concern about having "an issue with the electronics in a few years". That situation _may_ already be present.

In sum, it seems uncertain that Meade's technical capability is strong, though their customer service has stood by their product, so far, for me.

Are you performing the PEC a couple times and then the rate calib before each imaging session?  The pec will need to retrain if you are moving the tripod. And the rate calib just has to be done every time you startup for imaging.  Sometimes if the temperature changes drastically, you may need to redo the rate calib more than once a night. 

#34 johnpane

johnpane

Mariner 2

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

Are you performing the PEC a couple times and then the rate calib before each imaging session?  The pec will need to retrain if you are moving the tripod. And the rate calib just has to be done every time you startup for imaging.  Sometimes if the temperature changes drastically, you may need to redo the rate calib more than once a night. 

I have done PEC and updated it several times. Since this is correcting for internal imperfections in the mount, I disagree it is necessary to do this before each imaging session. I'll also remind you that PEC is correction for _periodic_ error, and periodic error cannot explain continuous accumulating drift.

I do run the ARC, though have experimented with departing from the automatically-determined rates to see if it would help to resolve the issues.

Edited by johnpane, 08 January 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#35 csauer52

csauer52

Viking 1

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Resolving those issues took 14 months, at which point I essentially had an as-new kit. Mechanically, it seems to be working superbly. However, to this date I cannot say for sure the StarLock is performing as advertised. It offers many signs it is operating correctly, but I continue to see accumulating drift during an imaging session when my expectation is that auto-guiding should nullify this. Despite the amount of time that has elapsed since receiving the as-new equipment (about 9 months) I cannot say for certain this isn't operator error; however, I am approaching to that point of clarity.

Finally, I strongly recommend that you look closely at posts by OzAndrewJ on this site. He owns the LX600, I think, but that mount shares many features with the LX850. He has identified bugs in Meade's code, and reported those bugs to Meade a long time ago, yet there has been no evidence that Meade intends to fix those bugs. The Starlock and LX850 firmware have not been updated at all in the past two years, despite these known bugs. This speaks a lot about their support intentions, and is a major strike against Meade, in my opinion. It highly relevant to your concern about having "an issue with the electronics in a few years". That situation _may_ already be present.

Hi johnpane. Thanks for the reply. It would appear from your experience there's currently decent support but one needs to be willing to incur shipping costs to Mexico. Which OTA are you attempting to image with? I'd be interested in seeing your results.

As for your "accident", would you care to elaborate on what happened? I'd like to avoid making the same mistake.

btw, I've seen several of OzAndrews posts which is what prompted me to pose the questions here.

#36 johnpane

johnpane

Mariner 2

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Which OTA are you attempting to image with? I'd be interested in seeing your results.

Until recently, all of my imaging has been with camera lenses, primarily the Canon EF 200 f/2.8L. Recently I acquired a 130mm APO refractor and have used it a couple of times but have not yet gotten the kinks worked out of using that scope. 

At this site, the last twelve images (starting with the Veil Nebula) were imaged using this mount. https://goo.gl/photo...aqSJzfGyGKwn4L8

As for your "accident", would you care to elaborate on what happened? I'd like to avoid making the same mistake.

The very first evening I was taking the equipment outside, I had difficulty attaching the mount to the tripod -- in particular, engaging the threads of the "tension knob", part #48 in the manual. I briefly took hands off the mount to adjust the spread of the tripod legs. This allowed the mount (with very little equipment attached) to topple to my concrete driveway. 

Edited by johnpane, 08 January 2017 - 06:36 PM.

• Sail440 likes this

#37 csauer52

csauer52

Viking 1

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Which OTA are you attempting to image with? I'd be interested in seeing your results.

Until recently, all of my imaging has been with camera lenses, primarily the Canon EF 200 f/2.8L. Recently I acquired a 130mm APO refractor and have used it a couple of times but have not yet gotten the kinks worked out of using that scope. 

At this site, the last twelve images (starting with the Veil Nebula) were imaged using this mount. https://goo.gl/photo...aqSJzfGyGKwn4L8

The very first evening I was taking the equipment outside, I had difficulty attaching the mount to the tripod -- in particular, engaging the threads of the "tension knob", part #48 in the manual. I briefly took hands off the mount to adjust the spread of the tripod legs. This allowed the mount (with very little equipment attached) to topple to my concrete driveway. 

Nice looking images but I see what you mean. I'd expect the stars to be more rounded than they appear to be although the Pleiades image is quite nice. I'll be careful with the spreader bar when attaching the mount. In fact, my plan is to do it several times indoors first before I take it outside for first light.

#38 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

@csauer52 - you missed my post from 7 months ago in this forum. ;)  I am pushing on year 4 with the LX850 mount and 14" f/8 ACF optics.  Yes, the mount has been outdoors since September 2016 (with Telegizmos 365 cover when not in use), and it has been used heavily. 

The LX850 was available around April 2013.  My LX850 is the first of that batch. It has worked great since the day I got it - still ticking!

Outside of a couple of folks, all the LX850's have worked out great for everyone I have seen obtain one.

The LX850 is as close to point and shoot as one can get.  Typically my has been outdoors 9 months of the year in the New Mexican high desert experiencing wind, rain, blazing sun, very cold temps (0 deg F) and has performed extremely well every time I put it to use. It is covered by a Telegizmos 365 cover when not in use.

At night my typical routine is:
-- Removed the cover
-- Turned on the LX850
-- Sent it to some fun star to say hello.  StarLock went right to the target as always.
-- I then did the automatic rate calibration; very easy with a couple of button pushes.  PE training was done in August though sometimes I may update the PE training - all automated.  No need for an external laptop or added software for PE training.
-- I then go right to observing and take pretty pictures for the night. 

Again, as stated earlier, the LX850 still works after almost 4 years of heavy outdoor use.  It is used over 100 days a year (guessing, likely more).  I would say the LX850 mount and OTA are VERY reliable and durable.

The optics of the f/8 are quite amazing.  No need to purchase an after market focuser unless you want a wireless remote control add-on (the zero image shift micro focuser comes with the LX850).  The ACF has a crayford like focuser built in with no image shifting.

You can purchase an Optec Lepus reducer for around $250 to bring the optics down do f/4.98.

On a lark I am currently testing the AstroTech field flattener normally used on the refractor on the f/8 ACF.  This seems to work right to the edge!  BUT I need to do more experiments/measurements and comparisons before I make a final verdict.  Either way the images do look pretty!

I control the LX850 with the standard control and SkySafari Pro from my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro wirelessly.  I have just one cable between the telescope and laptop: the USB cable between the Canon 60Da and laptop.  For the MallinCam X2 I have two cables.

This has been the best telescope purchase I have every made.  I can focus on the heavens vs fiddling half the night with the telescope.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

• nitegeezer, csauer52 and StarChaser55 like this

#39 johnpane

johnpane

Mariner 2

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

Nice looking images but I see what you mean. I'd expect the stars to be more rounded than they appear to be 

Thanks. By the way, the elongated stars on that final image, of M31, was not the fault of the mount. I had the spacing wrong between the field flattener and the camera.

Edited by johnpane, 09 January 2017 - 06:45 AM.

• StarChaser55 likes this

#40 csauer52

csauer52

Viking 1

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

@csauer52 - you missed my post from 7 months ago in this forum. ;)  I am pushing on year 4 with the LX850 mount and 14" f/8 ACF optics.  Yes, the mount has been outdoors since September 2016 (with Telegizmos 365 cover when not in use), and it has been used heavily. 

The LX850 was available around April 2013.  My LX850 is the first of that batch. It has worked great since the day I got it - still ticking!

Outside of a couple of folks, all the LX850's have worked out great for everyone I have seen obtain one.

The LX850 is as close to point and shoot as one can get.  Typically my has been outdoors 9 months of the year in the New Mexican high desert experiencing wind, rain, blazing sun, very cold temps (0 deg F) and has performed extremely well every time I put it to use. It is covered by a Telegizmos 365 cover when not in use.

At night my typical routine is:
-- Removed the cover
-- Turned on the LX850
-- Sent it to some fun star to say hello.  StarLock went right to the target as always.
-- I then did the automatic rate calibration; very easy with a couple of button pushes.  PE training was done in August though sometimes I may update the PE training - all automated.  No need for an external laptop or added software for PE training.
-- I then go right to observing and take pretty pictures for the night. 

Again, as stated earlier, the LX850 still works after almost 4 years of heavy outdoor use.  It is used over 100 days a year (guessing, likely more).  I would say the LX850 mount and OTA are VERY reliable and durable.

The optics of the f/8 are quite amazing.  No need to purchase an after market focuser unless you want a wireless remote control add-on (the zero image shift micro focuser comes with the LX850).  The ACF has a crayford like focuser built in with no image shifting.

You can purchase an Optec Lepus reducer for around $250 to bring the optics down do f/4.98.

On a lark I am currently testing the AstroTech field flattener normally used on the refractor on the f/8 ACF.  This seems to work right to the edge!  BUT I need to do more experiments/measurements and comparisons before I make a final verdict.  Either way the images do look pretty!

I control the LX850 with the standard control and SkySafari Pro from my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro wirelessly.  I have just one cable between the telescope and laptop: the USB cable between the Canon 60Da and laptop.  For the MallinCam X2 I have two cables.

This has been the best telescope purchase I have every made.  I can focus on the heavens vs fiddling half the night with the telescope.

Thanks Spacetravelerx. I just tried finding the thread you mentioned but unfortunately I didn't have any luck although I did find several others. One of them from a chap with a screen name Sputnik and a picture of a mount that met an untimely death. I'm hoping that thread is just a statistical anomaly given I pulled the trigger today and decided to roll the dice.

I guess I'll start an unboxing thread once it's delivered. You can thank me for the new equipment cloudy skies now though.  :)

#41 johnpane

johnpane

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

Spacetravelerx, what version of the StarLock firmware are you using? Mine came with version 1.1y but I noticed Meade still distributes version 1.1x on the support section of its website.

#42 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

So how are the LX-850 mounts doing these days?  Is Meade now a stable company?  I've been eyeing a 14" LX-850 but don't want to put down that kind of money if the gear is not fantastic and the company behind it sound.  Thanks.

#43 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

So how are the LX-850 mounts doing these days?  Is Meade now a stable company?  I've been eyeing a 14" LX-850 but don't want to put down that kind of money if the gear is not fantastic and the company behind it sound.  Thanks.

lol, have you read the thread?

I love my 14" LX850 - gear is fantastic!

Company is sound, partially because it is backed by the Chinese government, lol.

#44 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

Which do you think would be a better imager with the LX-850 mount, the Meade 6000 series 130mm APO or the Meade 14" ACF?  

#45 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

Which do you think would be a better imager with the LX-850 mount, the Meade 6000 series 130mm APO or the Meade 14" ACF?  

@robininni,

It really depends on what you want to image - small targets or more wide field targets.  It also depends if you want portability or not.

I own both the Meade 6000 130mm ED APO and the 14" f/8 ACF, and I do swap them out based I what I want to view and image, and whether I am going on the road or not.  They are both excellent optical systems.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages.  Both are built very well and I am impressed with the excellent quality of the construction.  I loved the 80mm ED APO so much I went and purchased the 130mm ED APO.  Numerous features with the ED APO.  The 14" f/8 ACF mirror does lock, has a crayford focuser, and has a very solid/stable cradle for the OTA.

130mm ED APO - Advantages: fast cool down, images medium field of view targets, very forgiving when imaging in light wind, lighter weight compared to the 14" f/8 ACF, easy to transport, easy place on mount, wonderful visual views. Disadvantages: poor for narrow field imaging and visually there is definitely a difference in the detail between the 130mm and 14". 

14" f/8 AFC - Advantages: amazing views (light collection in a 14" vs 130mm is visually noticeably different), images narrow field of view targets that look tiny in the 130mm (and 80mm), get close to planets in great seeing. Disadvantages: Not good for imaging when there is a wind (BIG surface area!), too heavy to transport, and you really need a helper to put the OTA on the mount.

I copped out and purchased both OTA's.  IF, you cannot afford both I would recommend purchasing the 80mm ED APO with the 14" f/8 ACF.  Attached you will find pictures of both my configurations.

I have posted in my blog pictures from all three OTAs using the Canon 60Da and Mallincam X2 in a range of sky quality conditions (I just love looking at the sky when it is calm or hazy out, lol).  You can get an idea of the FoV from each OTA.

Attached you will find both my 130mm and 14" LX850 configurations.

Attached Thumbnails

• MeadeRefractors.jpg
  • 14and80mm.jpg

#46 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

I should add if you are starting out with imaging you should start with the 130mm ED APO. A shorter focal length can be very forgiving for beginning imagers.

#47 sidis5

sidis5

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:41 AM

I just wouldn't even do it.  If you want to get into any real imaging, Don't do it.  After a year with this mount, I realize my limitations.  The mount itself is, "eh" for $5g. Then the 14" acts like a sail if even a feather falls and bumps it.  No matter how much you tighten things down, it probably won't hold PA over the course of several slews.  Perfect PA is nearly impossible. PERIOD.  No one can dispute that fact. Perfect PA is nearly impossible with this mount!  You'll need to add the QHY polemaster to achieve a close enough PA, BUT, the real problem will persist in when you try and adjust your Dec and Alt. Alt isn't as bad. You'll need to loosen those bolts to adjust and when you do, it's over. Especially the Declination adjustment bolts on the base plate.  I do not envy ANY person who buys this. 
Starlock is iffy at best.  Good luck getting faint objects in the center of view.  BUT, if you're in the market, I have one I'll sell for $1000 off.  Even comes with extra LX850 computer and hand controller (autostarII)

#48 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Is the LX-850 mount a closed loop system like the Orion HDX-110 so that you can undo the clutches and change the position of the telescope without losing alignment?

#49 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

I just wouldn't even do it.  If you want to get into any real imaging, Don't do it.  After a year with this mount, I realize my limitations.  The mount itself is, "eh" for $5g. Then the 14" acts like a sail if even a feather falls and bumps it.  No matter how much you tighten things down, it probably won't hold PA over the course of several slews.  Perfect PA is nearly impossible. PERIOD.  No one can dispute that fact. Perfect PA is nearly impossible with this mount!  You'll need to add the QHY polemaster to achieve a close enough PA, BUT, the real problem will persist in when you try and adjust your Dec and Alt. Alt isn't as bad. You'll need to loosen those bolts to adjust and when you do, it's over. Especially the Declination adjustment bolts on the base plate.  I do not envy ANY person who buys this. 
Starlock is iffy at best.  Good luck getting faint objects in the center of view.  BUT, if you're in the market, I have one I'll sell for $1000 off.  Even comes with extra LX850 computer and hand controller (autostarII)

Well, after owning this mount for over 4 years I dispute your claims.

The polar alignment with my LX850 holds for MONTHS.  It handles several observing sessions without a problem with PA.  Messier Marathons?  Nary a problem and I do not lose PA with over 100 slews - even my live broadcasts bare this out.  I can travel for a month, take off the cover and things are nicely polar aligned like the day I left it.  When I head back to my LX850 the end of this week after a month of travel I am pretty certain the polar alignment will be fine as usual.

I will drop a feather on my 14" f/8 ACF, however I am not too worried about vibrations caused by the feather impact.  Now if there is a breeze out, you will notice it with the 14".  The surface area is sufficient to monitor the wind gusts, especially with a long focal length.  This is why folks get an observatory.  Expecting nice pretty pictures in a breeze with a 14" (heck even an 8") is asking a lot.

#50 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

Is the LX-850 mount a closed loop system like the Orion HDX-110 so that you can undo the clutches and change the position of the telescope without losing alignment?

The Orion HDX-110 has encoders, hence you can undo the clutches and such.

On the LX850 you typically park the mount when done observing.  Your next observing session you power it on and you are good to go for the evening.  If you change OTAs or unlock the clutches you need to re-align. 

My rig is set up for a 9 month run.  Once setup I do not have to release the clutches or polar align for the 9 month run UNLESS I swap OTAs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics