•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Long time listener, first time caller...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 rszabo

rszabo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:17 PM

Hello, everyone!!

I have been lurking here for a long time. I really enjoy reading these forums!! My name is Rob, and I've been into astronomy ever since I could remember. My first forray into observing was with a horrible Meade 4.5" Newt on an even worse mount purchased 4 years ago. I now have an Intes Micro M503 on the way (should be here Friday), and I'm looking forward to some great views. Everything I have read here has made me lean toward a Mak. I am looking forward to First Light!! Thanks to all for the wonderful, info-packed posts. I look forward to contributing/learning here in the future.

-Rob

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:20 PM

Welcome, Rob! :yay:

We look forward to hearing and learning from your experiences with the new Mak.

#3 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:48 PM

Congratulations. Have you decided what to mount it on?

#4 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 18 March 2004 - 05:10 AM

Welcome. I also have an Intes Marco M503, a rare but versatile little scope. It is one of the few Mak Cassegrain scopes that can be used as a wide-field scope. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

#5 rszabo

rszabo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Wilash, your comments about the M503 in many other posts made me feel good about getting this scope. Steve, I'd like to mount it on a GM-8 in the near future (as budget allows). My long-term goal is to get a solid astro-imaging rig going. My head is spinning from reading all the posts/reviews about this mount and that mount, but it seems I can't go wrong with the proven GM-8.

#6 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:57 PM

Hi Rob,
I have long desired an M503, having gone instead for the bigger and more cumbersome Mak/Newt designs.
I had a GM-8, and it was awesome, you won't regret it. I ended up going to the G-11, as the current Mak/Newt was too big for the GM-8.
Gary

#7 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:57 PM

Welcome to CN Rob! :)
The gm-8 mount is very stable and smooth. It is an excellent imaging platform using small to midsized aperature scopes. What sort of imaging are you planning?

#8 rszabo

rszabo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:55 AM

I'd like to do webcam planetary imaging to start with. Later, probably much later, I'd like to try ccd on deep space objetcs. Ricky...I've seen the awesome pics you take with your setup. That's what I'm striving for. It turns out you don't live very far from me...I'm in Elk Grove. Are you a member of the SVAS?

#9 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:21 PM

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the compliments. To answer your question, im not a member of any association but am considering maybe the Davis Amateur Astronomy Club. Ive noticed many CN members from the Nor Cal area in general. Some of the best imagers that visit here and contribute regularly are from the bay area. I beleive there is at least one other CN member from EG...TeamGs (Gary). He just got his webcam a few days ago. Maybe we can all get togethor sometime and go over methodologies and have some fun with the scopes.

#10 rszabo

rszabo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:12 PM

A get-together sounds great!! Especially since I've never attempted any webcam imaging and would benefit greatly from seeing how it's done. My scope should arrive today, but it will be a while before I can put it on a suitable equatorial. I noticed you have the GM-8. That's the mount I'm wanting to purchase. How do you like it?

#11 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:18 PM

Hi Rob,
I love my gm-8! If your budget is tight I would recommend checking out Astromart.com for a used one...heck, you could probably p/u a used g-11 for the price of a new g-8! Let us know how you like your new mak.

#12 John P

John P

Messenger

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:06 AM

Congratulations Rob.

I enjoy a NexStar 11gps and a 6" Orion Russian made Maksutov-Cassegrain mounted on a GM-8. I think you will love the combination of the M503 on this mount...it's everything others have been raving about and very portable. Having used a large variety of telescope sizes and types over the past 40+ years, the Mak is my favorite, even in only 6" of aperature. You'll get great results especially if you stay with it and accept the learning curve that comes with imaging.

#13 rszabo

rszabo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:31 PM

Well, I received the scope. Unfortunately, UPS thought I'd appreciate a"modified" M503, so they put a nice fat dent in the tube. What a heartbreaker!! No surprise, though, considering the box was thrashed and I watched the delivery guy literally toss it onto my porch. The scope is built like a tank. I shudder to think what UPS might have done to dent it through all that packaging. :foreheadslap: It's going back to ITE. :bawling: This one has 1/7 wavefront error, too...better than the 1/5-1/6 claimed. Bummer!!

I did get a chance to set it up and take a peek through it, though. I looked at Saturn, Jupiter, M45, Venus, and the moon.The views were FAR better than in my old junk scope. I can't believe I put up with that scope for so long. My girlfriend (who bought me the new scope, BTW) said the view of Jupiter was the best she ever saw in a scope. I agree...we've been to many star parties, and even though we've looked through some top-notch rigs, seeing wasn't as good as the night I set up the scope. I was just amazed at the detail we saw on the big planet. Cool!! I was SO temtped to just keep the scope and forget about the dent, but after all she paid for a new scope and we should receive one in new condition. I hope the repair/replacement we get will be as good optically.

#14 Peter Argenziano

Peter Argenziano

Watcher of the Skies

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:28 AM

Ouch!
Sorry to hear the M503 didn't survive the last 10 feet of its journey. Better luck with the next one!

Peter

#15 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:29 AM

Hi Rob,
Mike at ITE will make it right...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics