•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Omni 22150 XLT 102

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

Hi All

there was quite a bit of discussion about these last year. Consensus seemed to be this is a fun sky sweeper and reasonably well made.

Amazon has a really nice deal on this scope. I haven't been able to find a consensus on the included alt az mount. Anybody?

In the meantime , here's the sale at Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...uct_top?ie=UTF8

• jbs1968 likes this

#2 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:47 AM

HMMM ? does not look like a sizeable enough mount for this scope , the photo does not do the quality of the 102mm refractor any justice , if you want onre , grab it for the OTA and get a EQ3 ( CG4) mount and enjoy the views these can give .

Brian

ps. sell the  spindly mount the 102 come's with to finance an EQ3 mount  .

• pdxmoon likes this

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:45 AM

I have not looked through one but did see one in a showroom. For the $157 Amazon price that is a great buy. The optics should be very nice. Synta/Celestron have been producing 4” achromats for some time and they usually get good reviews. I have both a Celestron 4” F5 and a 4” F10 refractor and they have good optics and decent mechanics for the price.

A 4” F6.5 refractor will deliver nice views of the brighter deep sky objects and will have a nice wide field of view. High power views will show color error but you will still get sharp views of Saturn’s rings, Jupiter’s GRS, and the moon will delight at powers around 200 give or take.

The mount is probably the weak point – and more specifically the legs on the mount. But for that price you can’t go wrong even if you feel the need to replace the legs with something more substantial.

Bob

• pdxmoon and Voilam like this

#4 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the tips. I do have several pairs of wooden legs that might work, but I also have a spare Vixen Polaris and two Porta IIs. I'm really going to be using this for wide field views--so the mount may be ok for that. We'll see.

I have much slower refractors that I use on moon and planets and doubles. The hole in my gear package is a 4" wide, fast, scope. The AT72 is great but 4" will be better.

Thanks to the miracle of Amazon this will be here tomorrow. Right in time for clouds to be rolling in. I apologize to the greater Portland area...

Edited by pdxmoon, 30 July 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#5 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

Looks like tha sale is over..but I got mine months ago ,..and think the mount/tripod is adequate for the scope.

#6 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

Thought I'd come back and report on this scope.

Thru the miracle of the Zon, it was here in a few days.

The build is really nice. The mount is also nice, with one caveat: 2 inch diagonal taxes this. With a 2" I'm going to have to put this on another mount, so I'll just use it with a 1.25 for now.

Some comments: the slo mo controls screw on with an allen wrench, like little hex screws in a focuser.  I think that's a nice feature. The wrench lives in a slot right on the mount.

The tripod seems sturdy to me. The ep tray is big and bolts on.  The dove slot on the alt az arm is a week link--there is only one quick release screw holding it on. Unlike the Porta II which has a failsafe screw, this makes me a bit nervous. The dove bar is really too small. I believe that rings and a larger bar would make things a bit better, but would also add weight, and I'm not sure the mount could take it.

The diagonal is an erect prism, and pretty much useless for night. I used it in the day and it makes a nice spotting scope. Right now, I have a nice Orion diagonal in it, and it seems to be fine with the extra weight.

The Starpower Pro Finder was DOA. I even changed the battery--nothing. I have contacted Amazon for a replacement. Right now I have a good old fashioned Celestron finder from an old 80 Firstscope. I actually like it better.

First light tonight, investigating around Cygnus. I'll just pan and enjoy.

This scope was a smoking deal at $157 delivered. I mean, I can't not buy it at that price.

If it performs well, I would say that for under $200, if you can find this, it would make a terrific first scope. The mount is far better than most of the junk out there. I'm sure it does just fine at f/6.5 on the Moon at lower magnifications. The planets may show color, but probably enough to live with. I'm told the glass is good, so a 4" wide field taking in the stars should be awesome.  I'll try out everything except the moon tonight.

• jbs1968 and Voilam like this

#7 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

Great report

This scope is excellent for beginners and for folks looking for a grab and go scope to supplement their big Dob or SCT. Much better than the ST80 in many ways

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:07 AM

I would try to get the tube used by putting up a "wanted" on Astromart and put it on one of the alt-az options mentioned here, like the porta mount.  A sturdy mount does a great deal to combat the "cheapness feel" of these entry level optics, and it makes for more enjoyable viewing.  

The other suggestion that you buy at this price and sell the mount to get something better...that makes sense too.

GN

Edited by gnowellsct, 01 August 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#9 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:17 AM

Well only found two on Astromart in past two years, both sold.  One for $120, just the tube.  The other for $250, included the tube and the German equatorial mount.  GN

#10 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:12 AM

Mount performed admirably with a 1.25 diagonal. With wide field viewing, It was really very satisfactory. The slo mo worked well. I think I can adjust the tension on the arm so I'll look at that, but this really is a major step up from most of the crummy mounts that come with inexpensive scopes.

It was too late for planets, but I did mess around in Cygnus with it's stadium full of stars. The 4" glass was lovely. Albiera was a delight--nicely presented.

This is my kind of scope--light weight, inexpensive, no hassle. I can keep this well into my retirement years.

Edited by pdxmoon, 01 August 2016 - 11:09 AM.

• BigC likes this

#11 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

One of these with a 2" diagonal and a 38mm EP would make a great budget wide field scope.  

4 degrees FOV with a 38mm/70 degree EP.

#12 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

Celestron Omni XLT 102mm f/6.5 Refractor

A  new Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102mm Refractor arrived this afternoon from Amazon. Based upon other posts here, I probably paid too much at $264.  Assembly was easy. Even before going outside in the evening the diagonal seemed really cheaply made out of plastic and very small. I’ve been using 2” diagonals with Televue eyepieces for years and this plastic diagonal with the 25mm Plössel just doesn’t seem like it is going to cut it. I have been using telescopes for over 40 years, but have never even looked through a refractor, so this was going to be a very new experience.

19:30. First light for the refractor. Stars are beautifully crisp. Mizar split very nicely. The focus works very well. Vega is a gorgeous blue, but I could see achromatic abberation in the purple range. It's actually very pretty.  Albireo is pin **** sharp. Colors are vibrant and stayed fairly crisp almost to the edge.

October 26, 2016

05:20 Literally one minute set up this morning just carrying the very light mount and tripod out to the deck and then attaching the OTA. M42 showed a very nice  sweep of the wings with the 25mm. The trapezium was very easy at 26x and was in really nice focus. The jury is still out on the red dot finder, since I didn’t have time to properly align it last evening. I'll take care of that later this morning, but I’m still not sure it is going to be that useful except for very bright objects.

06:00. Put an 18.2mm Televue Delite in the scope and the difference in the clarity of the nebulosity of M 42 is night and day. Knots of brightness were instantly visible and the stars in the scope are bright and focused.

First impressions are that this scope won't be used for planetary viewing, though admittedly I didn't look at any planets. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of high power without tracking. The scope's strong point is seeing very impressive fields of crisply focused stars. For the price, the glass is very, very nice.

The mount was adequate for visual viewing, but as others have pointed out the dovetail for attaching the OTA is really flimsy, especially with only one screw holding the tube on the mount. I don’t like to admit it, but the OTA dropped off the mount as I was trying to unlatch the screen porch door with one hand and holding the mount and the scope in the other. The front lens cover went flying when the OTA hit the ground. Nothing broke though, and after I put the OTA back on the mount and screwed ‘er down, it was good to go again. I’m going to switch out the diagonal for the 1.25” diagonal that came with my C8 back in 2006. With that and the 18.2mm Delite, I’m not sure the mount will bear the weight, but we’ll see.

Others have opined that this is a good beginner scope, but it doesn’t seem so for me, since it is difficult finding things. I’m used to computerized GoTo on my C8, or using setting circles on my Questar mounted on the Tristand. Maybe I just have to get the red dot finder aligned and get used to the rig and the views. Time will tell, but I can say that the scope will get a lot of use. I plan to keep it set up all the time on my back screen porch and to use it will only take moving out to the deck a few feet.

• BFaucett and Voilam like this

#13 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

Justin,

The finderscope that comes with the Celestron 102 is actually very good. Give it a try I think you will like it. The only wish I had would be that it was a little smaller 

• JHollJr likes this

#14 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Justin,

The finderscope that comes with the Celestron 102 is actually very good. Give it a try I think you will like it. The only wish I had would be that it was a little smaller 

Tony, I assume you are talking about the vaunted StarPointer Pro. I didn't have time to align it last night, and I couldn't see the red circles in the daylight this morning to do it. I generally like these kind of finders, but the downside for me is that my eyes are not good enough to see anything but the brightest stars without the the scope. I think I just need a bit more time with the new scope and I'll iron out the bugs.

#15 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

One interesting note...I just got a Celestron Trailseeker tripod and tried it with this f/6.5 Omni. I wasn't buying the tripod for this telescope, but it handled it pretty well. Once all locked in place it sat pretty tight. I'm sure it would be fine for low-power viewing.

This tempted me to use this telescope as my backpack-portable scope, instead of the 102mm MCT (Orion Apex) that is arriving today, and send the MCT back. However the Omni doesn't completely fit into my backpack so I think I'm going to hold on to the MCT. I like the idea of a telescope that's more portable than your typical bagged lunch from Subway.

It's good to know I can use the Omni with that tripod though. It will definitely see more use because of that... It's got some competition now.

#16 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:13 AM

I moved the rail towards the focuser and it now balances well.,I feel that the mount is a little weak to support the weight of a 2" set-up,but with a 1.25" it's fine. I replaced the finder with a laser, and the diagonal with a William Optics correct image prism,and have been learning to star-hop using this set-up with a lot of success.,I spent the night Tues. seeking faint galaxies in Aqu. and Cet.,and even seeing a few.,With the correct image matching the tablet/chart image it is nice to know exactly where you are looking.,it helps to get the faint stuff to show itself.,

Attached Thumbnails

• IM000607.JPG

• jbs1968 and Voilam like this

#17 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:58 AM

I've had this scope for two days now, and am really getting to like it a lot. This morning I carried it with one hand out to the deck and started looking around Orion about 05:30. There was a lot of humidity, but the views in the 25mm that is came with were a lot of fun. It took me just seconds to take the caps off the eyepiece and the objective lens, align with the StarPointer and I was good to go.

I swapped in a 1.25" star diagonal that came with my C8 in 2006. I actually prefer the backward view, because that's what I'm used to in other scopes. The mount is just barely sturdy enough for an 18.2mm Delite, but holds. I wouldn't want to add too much more weight. Also, I'm having a lot of trouble aligning the StarPointer. I don't like its cheap plastic. I never did get it aligned, but once I noted the offset I could find what I was looking for, e.g. M41.

I like the super quick set up and the wide filed of view. I thought I wasn't going to bother this morning, because I was wasn't quite awake yet, but then couldn't not look. I'm glad I did.

This scope is going to be a lot of fun.

#18 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

Does anybody have any recommendations for upgrading the focuser on the Celestron Omni XLT 102mm f/6.5? I don't plan to upgrade the alt az mount and tripod. I like carrying everything outside with one hand.

#19 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

Justin,

If you can find a used focuser from a SkyWatcher 102 or 120mm Pro ED. That will fit. I used the one from my son's SkyWatcher 102. The other option that will work is the GSO focusers 

#20 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Tony, I don't mind paying for a focuser, because I don't like the feel of the one on this new scope. I think I've read that some will need an extension to focus, so I don't know exact models that would fit. I've never upgraded a focuser on any scope, though I have often wanted to upgrade on my C8.

#21 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

Justin with the SkyWatcher focuser you will not need the extension.  With the GSO you might depending on the eyepiece. But getting an extension is easy

#22 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:29 PM

Tony, thanks for the comments. I ordered the GSO a couple of hours ago after reading about it. I don't think it will need the extension so I didn't order one. This is such a crazy hobby that when you get something new you want anything and everything to make it better and you want it yesterday. I'm looking at eyepieces, because all of mine are 2" and I plan to keep with 1.25" with this scope. It's really just a binocular substitute. I love binocular viewing and at very low power with this scope I'm just filling in a gap of a little more magnification and a little less TFOV.

Thanks again.

#23 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Justin,

Look forward to your pictures! 

#24 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:16 AM

Thanks, I have a real problem posting pictures, because of the size limits.

#25 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:24 AM

Justin you need to make the pic's smaller.,use a program like paint,and reduce the pixel size down to about 500.,this has worked for me.,As for the focuser,it is a little ruff.,I added a bigger knob.,and replaced the diagonal with a William Optics correct image prism diagonal that has a helical focuser.,waaay nice.,I have found that the scope shakes a lot less when I fine focus with the helical focuser.,my upper arms are close in against my body.,when using the focus knobs,they are extended out away from the body.,not much.,but enough to make a difference for me when focusing.,
  • jbs1968 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics