•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Omni 22150 XLT 102

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#51 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

Bob,

Nice pictures!  How do you like the 6x30 RACI finder?

#52 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.78° N

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:01 AM

Well, I haven't had a chance to try out this particular finder due to 100℅ cloud cover. Figures! :( However, I do have an Orion 6x30 RACI finder on my Orion ST80 and an Orion 9x50 RACI finder on my C80ED. I also have an Agena branded (IIRC) 8x50 RACI on my SV-102. So, I think I've got a fairly good idea of what to expect. I really enjoy using RACI optical finders.

Straight-through finders, of whatever type, just drive me crazy. I'm just getting too old for the neck and back contortions needed in order to use them. :) YMMV. Also, in my white zone sky location, RDFs just aren't really that useful IMHO.

Thanks for the compliment about the pics!

Cheers and clear skies!
Bob F. :)

Edited by BFaucett, 04 November 2016 - 01:09 AM.

• rogan likes this

#53 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:20 AM

I'm finding your need for an extender interesting. I have a 102SLT, which has identical specs with the exception of the XLT finish. I use the GSO focuser without any focus issues. Does the XLT coating do this? It doesn't seem as if it should, but there is something at work.

Enjoy your 102's, I have a good idea of the fun your having with these scopes.

Rich

Rich, for your information I had the XLT 102 out this morning and have no focus problems with the Celestron Plössel eyepieces (24mm and 15mm are the ones I tried), but plunked my Televue Delite 18.2mm in and there was not enough backfocus even with the 1.25" extension. I needed to pull the Televue out about a quarter of an inch to get focus. Also, the Televue was relatively heavier than the Celestrons, which really taxed the altitude slo-mo. I had no problems with the Celestrons.

#54 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:52 AM

Well, I haven't had a chance to try out this particular finder due to 100℅ cloud cover. Figures! :( However, I do have an Orion 6x30 RACI finder on my Orion ST80 and an Orion 9x50 RACI finder on my C80ED. I also have an Agena branded (IIRC) 8x50 RACI on my SV-102. So, I think I've got a fairly good idea of what to expect. I really enjoy using RACI optical finders.

Straight-through finders, of whatever type, just drive me crazy. I'm just getting too old for the neck and back contortions needed in order to use them. :) YMMV. Also, in my white zone sky location, RDFs just aren't really that useful IMHO.

Thanks for the compliment about the pics!

Cheers and clear skies!

Bob, thanks for the pictures and the specs on the rings. I think that I will order them and the longer dovetail, but I'm concerned about putting too much weight on this mount. This telescope is really only for quick views. I can understand the value of the finder. The StarPointer for me is only useful to get into the general area that I want to view. For example, this morning I pointed it below a line between Mirfak and Algol in Perseus, where I know M34 can be found. With a couple of seconds of scanning I was able to find M34. I did the same with M41 in Canis Major. I would never have found either if I didn't really know exactly where they are.

Best

Justin

• BFaucett likes this

#55 rseven

rseven

Messenger

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

I'm finding your need for an extender interesting. I have a 102SLT, which has identical specs with the exception of the XLT finish. I use the GSO focuser without any focus issues. Does the XLT coating do this? It doesn't seem as if it should, but there is something at work.

Rich

Rich, for your information I had the XLT 102 out this morning and have no focus problems with the Celestron Plössel eyepieces (24mm and 15mm are the ones I tried), but plunked my Televue Delite 18.2mm in and there was not enough backfocus even with the 1.25" extension. I needed to pull the Televue out about a quarter of an inch to get focus. Also, the Televue was relatively heavier than the Celestrons, which really taxed the altitude slo-mo. I had no problems with the Celestrons.

Thanks for the scoop, Justin. I've never used my scope with Tele Vue Delite. I do have a Nagler 13mm I use without a problem. I guess it's only an issue with certain eyepieces.

Rich

#56 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

Rich

Thanks for the scoop, Justin. I've never used my scope with Tele Vue Delite. I do have a Nagler 13mm I use without a problem. I guess it's only an issue with certain eyepieces.

Rich

I have the 1.25" Delites for my Questar. I find the Naglers to be too heavy. I use 2" Naglers with my C8 with no problems.

#57 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:28 PM

My new GSO focuser arrived on Friday (sooner than I was expecting). I installed the new focuser today (Saturday).

Here's a few pics:

20161105_220009.jpg

20161105_220038.jpg

20161105_220050.jpg

I'm very happy with how this little upgrade project worked out. I think I'm going to really enjoy using this telescope. Also, I think the scope looks kind of snazzy with the black focuser and finder along with the white ring around the objective cell. :)

I think my Orion ST80 is starting to get a little jealous. :)

Of course, I've got 100℅ clouds this evening. Figures! :(

Cheers!

Edited by BFaucett, 06 November 2016 - 03:08 AM.

• tony_spina, Abhat, rogan and 1 other like this

#58 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:57 AM

I've had beautiful skies for the last few days and have spent some time with the Omni XLT AZ 102. The upgraded focuser really makes a big difference. I was focusing on the trapezium this morning with a 9mm Plössel eyepiece, and although there was a little shake while focusing, it was minimal compared to the focuser the scope came with. As I've stated before, I did need the one and half inch extension tube to get focus.

I ordered the rings and the longer dovetail, but haven't decided whether or not I will install them. The only problem that I am having with the set up is getting the Star Pointer Pro properly aligned with the scope. I have run out of altitude and azimuth adjustment on the finder and it still isn't aligned. I may take it off, all the adjustment screws to the center, remount it, and try again.

By the way, your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing them. 

Edited by JHollJr, 06 November 2016 - 06:58 AM.

• BFaucett likes this

#59 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:39 PM

So, I got to wondering about how the cost of my little C102AZ upgrade project compared to buying a new ES AR102 scope. I purchased the C102AZ on Amazon while it was on sale for $169.58.

List price of a new ES AR102 (no tripod and excluding any sales tax or shipping charges): $399.99

My C102AZ project. All prices INCLUDE any shipping charges and sales taxes that were applied.

C102AZ. $183.57

Orion 8" dovetail bar and
Orion 100mm rings. $78.12

GSO 2", 2 speed Crawford focuser,
Agena Synta style dovetail base for finder,
2" long eyepiece extension tube. $190.90

TOTAL: $452.59

I don't think that's too shabby at all. :)

I did not include the cost of the Orion 6x30 RACI finder I bought for the C102 AZ as I would have replaced the straight through finder that comes with the AR102 with a RACI finder.

Also, IMHO, my C102AZ upgrade project has two big advantages compared to buying the AR102:

1) I won't have to look at that hideous dew shield that comes with the AR102! :) :)

2) And, like Frank Sinatra, "I did it my way!" :)

Cheers!

Edited by BFaucett, 07 November 2016 - 12:40 AM.

#60 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:05 AM

So, I got to wondering about how the cost of my little C102AZ upgrade project compared to buying a new ES AR102 scope. I purchased the C102AZ on Amazon while it was on sale for $169.58.

List price of a new ES AR102 (no tripod and excluding any sales tax or shipping charges): $399.99

My C102AZ project. All prices INCLUDE any shipping charges and sales taxes that were applied.

C102AZ. $183.57

I did not include the cost of the Orion 6x30 RACI finder I bought for the C102 AZ as I would have replaced the straight through finder that comes with the AR102 with a RACI finder.

Also, IMHO, my C102AZ upgrade project has two big advantages compared to buying the AR102:

1) I won't have to look at that hideous dew shield that comes with the AR102! :) :)

Cheers!

Was out this morning again at 0444 with the C102AZ and got beautiful crisp views of seven stars in Sigma Orionis. HD294272 and its companion with a separation 8.6", which are a part of Sigma were easily split. Both components of Nair al Saif divided easily with a 9mm eyepiece. M93 nice open cluster with two bright stars on the west, two very dim stars at an angle east of those and many sparkles across the cluster. The two dim stars are part of a V of stars in the north of the cluster and facing west that are visible in the 9mm. There are two stars in the southeast away from this V. A quick and dirty count through the 9mm (44x) showed about 16 brighter stars in the cluster. I quit viewing about 0522, because I needed coffee. 

The best thing about the C102AZ is that it can be set up in literally about 15 seconds. I carry it out to my deck with one hand, grab my Starbound chair, and I'm at the eyepiece. This is almost as easy as with binoculars. So I got about a half hour at the eyepiece this morning, that I wouldn't have gotten with any set up more complicated or heavy.

I'm very happy with the focuser and have tossed the new rings and 8" dovetail into a drawer for the time being.

Out The Kitchen Window

Edited by JHollJr, 07 November 2016 - 07:47 AM.

• BFaucett likes this

#61 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:54 PM

Good deal. I'm glad that you're enjoying your new scope! :)

Regarding the rings... It's very easy to remove the stock dovetail bar and install the rings. It only takes a few minutes. So, you might want to consider trying them out just to see if you like them or not. It would be very easy to reinstall the stock dovetail bar if you find you prefer that. Just a friendly suggestion. :)

Cheers!
  • JHollJr likes this

#62 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

I went back and looked at your very helpful photos and am pretty sure I know how to attach the rings. At first I thought that I might have to do some drilling, but now I don't think so. I'll look into this tomorrow.

#63 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

No drilling needed. It's actually very simple. Once you see how the rings open up to accept the scope then you'll see how easy it is to put the rings and dovetail bar on the scope. (The dovetail bar attaches to the rings and not directly to the scope.)

Edited by BFaucett, 08 November 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#64 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Bob, as I mentioned once I took a closer look at your pictures it was easy. The only problem I had was getting the bolt through the dovetail to screw into the ring with the washers on the bolt. For now, I just tossed the washers and bolted the dovetail onto the rings without the washers. I think I might have to head to the hardware store tomorrow to find some slightly longer bolts and then use the washers.

I've got everything back on the mount and tripod using the rings, and it seems very secure, though it would have been nice to have two bolts between the dovetail and the receptor on the mount. I also, threw on the 2" extension tube, because I need the extra back focus for my Televue Delite eyepieces, if I ever happen to use them. Right now I've been pretty happy with the Celestron Plössels, which all focus with less back focus. I got a good four hours of viewing in last evening, but tonight is clouded over. 

Although, this is all simple for someone who works with these things (my dad, for example), I never had to work with tools in my life  :lol: and I got to retirement never really using tools or putting things together. On the other hand, if you need court pleadings, I'm your man.

Edited by JHollJr, 08 November 2016 - 05:44 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#65 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

The only problem I had was getting the bolt through the dovetail to screw into the ring with the washers on the bolt. For now, I just tossed the washers and bolted the dovetail onto the rings without the washers. I think I might have to head to the hardware store tomorrow to find some slightly longer bolts and then use the washers.

I also just tossed the washers aside. I really don't think they're needed anyway. I haven't bothered with getting longer replacement bolts.

I think you'll find that the rings and dovetail bar hold the scope very securely. The scope should also be a little more resistant to vibration as well. At least that's what I've read here on CN as compared to just a dovetail bar screwed directly onto the ota. They also make balancing the scope on the mount very easy.

Enjoy your scope! I'm glad my pics helped you out. :)

Funny that you mention court pleadings... I've been the IT guy for a law firm here in Houston since 1992. :)

Bob F.

Edited by BFaucett, 08 November 2016 - 06:26 PM.

• JHollJr likes this

#66 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:17 AM

Out The Kitchen Window
Album: Justin's Album
55 images
0 comments

Rings 102

Modified Scope 102

• BFaucett, rogan and jgbeall like this

#67 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:52 PM

:waytogo: :waytogo: :goodjob:

IMHO, short 3 to 4" refractors make great grab-n-go scopes. They're hard to beat in that role.

Cheers!
Bob F.

Edited by BFaucett, 09 November 2016 - 07:02 PM.

• JHollJr and Sarkikos like this

#68 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

C102AZ. $183.57

Cheers!

Just read through the discussion.   Very interesting what you guys do with a scope.

It was interesting that you all felt this was a good deal, then immediately started pouring money into the scope replacing the diagonal and the mounting system and whatever.    Now a $200 scope and mount is a $400 project.   

My conclusion, based on reading this discussion is that the stock scope package is not very good if one has to invest $100 to $200 to get it to a desirable state.  clearly I would not recommend this to someone based on the package price, even on sale.

Have I misunderstood the discussion?

Edited by aeajr, 15 November 2016 - 05:30 AM.

#69 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

Ed,

OK. That's fine if you don't agree. Each to their own.

I'm very pleased with this scope and the upgrades I decided to add to it.

Have I misunderstood the discussion?

Well, yes, I think you have.

Bob F.

Edited by BFaucett, 15 November 2016 - 06:25 AM.

#70 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

I think right out of the box this scope is a good deal at the sale price,It has two weak points however.,1. is the rail is in the wrong place to support anything heavy in the focuser.,2. the diagonal is a cheap prism diagonal.,The rail can be moved easily,and the diagonal replaced for not too much $$.,Any other improvements that can be done are owner preferences.,not necessities.,so that's like buying better EP's then what came with the scope.,I feel the mount and the tripod that come with this package are better then most that come with scopes at this price.,This package is usable right out of the box,and can be made better for very little $$.,That's more then can be said for most scope deals under $200.,I certainly "would recommend" this scope for a beginner.,This one or the OneSky.,,
  • JHollJr, BigC, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#71 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

OK, thanks for the clarifications.   All I was reading was fix and change.  

Changing a star angle for $35 is no biggie and if that was all I saw I would have said, OK, minor change.  

Drilling holes in an OTA is not something I want to do as I would be concerned about getting shavings inside.   I have no experience with such things.

Thanks for correcting my impression of the discussion. 

• BFaucett likes this

#72 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:30 AM

When drilling holes in the tube ,it is best done with all other parts removed from the tube. Then you  carefully  clean the tube and reassemble. Not rocket science.

• Sarkikos and aeajr like this

#73 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

I didn't drill.,I used a self-tapping metal screw.,even easier.,At first I just had 2 sided tape holding the end without the bolt,and that seemed fine,.but for peace of mind I added the screw.,I had already bought the William Optic's diagonal before I knew about these scopes to use on my other refractors.,but after using it on this scope I decided it's going to stay with it.,The helical focuser is great.,and the correct image is helping me to learn to starhop the easy way.,I cleaned the goop out of the focuser,and the ALT gears,and now the scope works very smoothly.,to me it's a great size for G+G.,and a bargain indeed at $168.00.,Last but not least I made an adapter so I can mount this OTA on my pipe mounts,and use it in 2" mode if I desire.,"I felt" that even with the balance issue fixed,the "mount-arm" was not quite sturdy enough for a 2" set-up,.YMMV.,

Attached Thumbnails

• IM000597.JPG

• aeajr likes this

#74 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

So, if you stayed with a 1.25 eyepiece set then the balance is OK?

#75 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

If you stayed with the original (very light)diagonal it was OK??just.,with anything heavy,EP/different diagonal you need to move the rail.,This is definitely a flaw in the scope design.,but one that can be fixed for no cost.,Most are getting the rings/longer rail,and this fixes the balance issue as well as maybe making the mount/set-up a little more stable.,and also making it possible to use the OTA on other mounts.
  • BigC and BFaucett like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics