•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meiji EM32 unboxing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

After a little research decided to make my first microscope a 7-45x stereo zoom from Meiji. Ordered it through Microscope. Com and Mark and Danny were very good. Also Raymond at Meiji was very nice.

The microscope arrived in 4 days and was packed peanut shells around a styrofoam sarcophagus in a heavy box, zero damage. At first I was not sure what to think about my $595 no tax or shipping. It looked like many of the others as far as optics.  It says made in Holland but I am sure that may only be the assembly point. Either way after several days playing with this thing I find the optics excellent and so does everyone else. 

The stand is perfect. The knobs, switches, lighting and wiring are high quality and have a solid feel. The lighting controls and light fixtures are all top shelf. The ring that holds the optics has a teflon insert. The clips are heavy duty with nice size thumb screws. The base large and steady.  The handle on top is almost a requirement. 

My wife spent an hour looking through it the other night, in the middle of canning season. She has never given any of my other optics that kind of attention. My son uses it all the time, my friend who doesn't get excited about anything thinks it cool.

The only minor issue was the winged eyepieces, no one cared for them so I turned them over. This way they were flat. Stuck an 1.25" eyepiece cup in the end and now they are very comfortable. 

This is my first product review. I like this thing more than I thought I would and glad I sold a few unused eyepieces. This already has got more use than they did. Hoped you enjoyed my review and I have several pictures to follow.

Dereck

• outofsight and vertex2100 like this

#2 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

Picture 1

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160726_114755.jpg

#3 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

Picture 2

#4 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

Picture 2

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160726_120136.jpg

#5 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

Picture 3

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160729_182323.jpg

#6 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

Picture 4

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160729_200351.jpg

#7 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for this write-up, I've been looking for a stereo zoom for awhile. If it wouldn't be too much, can you explain why you decided on a Meiji, as opposed to others, and what others you may have considered. I sure would like a Meiji and am glad I saw this. This looks good.

#8 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

I also considered :
Zeiss
Nikon
Olympus
Amscope
National Optics
Swift
Omax
Omano
and a few others

I set a $600 limit. Then the parameters. I wanted to go below 10x and at least 40x. I wanted a track stand with LED lighting below and halogen above. It needed to come with the black/white disc to go in place of the opaque disc on the lower lights.

Some reviews on other microscopes people remarkd on bad switches, light controls, cheap clamps, poor lighting.The Meiji does not have any of these iissues. The finish is nice and if I had to guess the optics are a spec higher than others.

The eyepieces have a large eye lens and a nice eye relief, easy for everyone to use. I start out at 10x and go to 40x most of the time. Above 40x I like a little sunlight. So the 7-45x power worked out just perfect and I don't think I will need anymore eyepieces or barlow.

These also come in dual fixed lens in two powers or a trinocular for camera. I think I got an awful lot for under $600.

Dereck
  • outofsight likes this

#9 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know it had any halogen, thought it was all LED. I have a Meiji compound and have been looking for a stereo zoom, it looks like you compared it to a lot of good stuff. I wanted something that went to 90x, but also would like nice quality and want to spend about the same as you spent, I'm going to have to look at this more carefully. Really appreciate the update, Thanks.

Edited by outofsight, 30 July 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#10 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:45 PM

I think to make them go to 90x you change eyepieces. These are 10x 20mm, you go to 90x by dropping in 20x 10mm eyepieces I think. Not 100% positive on the halogen, it is yellow and bright but does not get hot.

Dereck

#11 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the additional eyepiece (EP) info, that's kind of what I thought and was hoping to hear. Thanks also for the "halogen" info, yellow doesn't interest me, but the hue might actually come in handy on some things, and that fact that it doesn't get hot is germane to what I was wondering, don't want any high "halogen" heat. So that's cool, no pun intended (for a change).

I'd been looking at AmScopes, and lots of other stuff, but couldn't quite find what I wanted around $500, but all of these scopes would probably be more than sufficient since the microscope would be 95% for messing around and about 5% for looking at some circuit boards. But $600 for a nice Meiji now, and maybe spend some more on more powerful EPs later, if I even find I'd need them, that might be just the ticket.

Your posting was very helpful, thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics