•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

August 2016 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Submissions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

After a brief hiatus, we are bringing back the Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest! Place your submissions here, folks... :D

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest!

Over the years, we’ve noticed we have exceptional talent in our forums, and we’ve decided that we would like to show it off. Each month our readers will choose an overall winner, and that winning image or sketch will be displayed on the front page of the Cloudy Nights website until a new winner is chosen.

How to enter

Please visit our forums and submit an image/sketch in the appropriate forum, each forum will have a "sticky" thread called "Imaging Contest Submissions". Images may be submitted to the contest threads in the following forums:

Beginning and Intermediate Imaging
Film Astrophotography
DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing
CCD Imaging & Processing
Solar System Imaging & Processing
Sketching

Each month, images or sketches (as applicable to the forum) will be submitted in each forum for users to vote on. The winners from each forum's semi-final poll will be entered in a site-wide poll for our users to determine which image or sketch is the best of the group.

Moderators are listed by the forum name, and additionally their name or handle appears in green. Please contact them if you have any questions. Contest rules are subject to change without notice.

Contest Rules (revised 8/2016)

1. Images submitted in a particular forum must reflect the focus of that particular forum.

• Entries in the DSLR forum must be images captured with a Digital SLR or digital camera
• Entries in the CCD forum must have been captured with a dedicated astronomical CCD camera
• Entries in the Film Astrophotography forum must have been captured with a film camera
• Entries in the Solar System forum must be of objects contained within our solar system
• Entries in the Sketching forum must be an image of a sketch
• Entries in the Beginning and Intermediate Imaging can be of any astronomical subject as long as they are captured with a camera of some sort and do not violate any other rules.

2. In order to provide a level playing field and to encourage participation by novice imagers, entrants in the Beginning and Intermediate Imaging forum who win the semi-finals poll in the CN Imaging Contest a total of three (3) times - or who win in the finals regardless of the number of times they have won the semifinals - will have demonstrated sufficient proficiency at astrophotography to no longer be considered a "beginning or intermediate imager". Such an imager will be considered to be a "graduate" of the Beginning and Intermediate Imaging Forum, and are encouraged to compete in the other imaging or sketching forums. The exception to this rule will be in the case of an entrant who wins the semi-finals poll in Beginning and Intermediate Imaging as an uncontested entrant. An uncontested winner in the semi-finals will not have their win count toward their "graduation" as a beginning imager unless they also win the overall contest.

3. Entrants may submit an image for consideration in only one forum participating in the CN Imaging Contest. Entrants submitting images in more than one forum must choose a single forum to enter in or else all submissions from the entrant will be disqualified at the time of the creation of the semi-finals polls.

4. All entries must be captured within the same season as the contest. For example, if the subject was Orion Nebula, then any photo captured during this particular winter (or period that it was visible) would qualify for the contest. The name of the object must be included in the submission.

5. Please include the equipment used to take the image. Scope/Mount/Camera (or sketch media)/Focal reducers/Barlows...whatever, as well as your name, the date and your location.

6. Entries must conform in all respects with the site wide image posting requirements. Entries that do not meet these criteria will be disqualified at the time of the semi-final poll creation. It is the contestant's responsibility to ensure compliance with these requirements - although a moderator or administrator may alert a contestant to a possible problem in this area, they are not bound to do so.

7. Please do not post comments in the entries thread it’s just for these wonderful images you all will be submitting.

8. You must be the owner or co-owner and sole operator of the equipment used to create the image/sketch. Doesn't matter what it is. 20" RC, ETX70, 2" Tasco or an 8" TMB. No images from club owned equipment will be allowed. No pay by the hour rent-a-scope images will be allowed.

9. Entries must represent the work of a single individual. You must setup and operate all equipment yourself, capture all exposures (or perform any sketching) yourself and process the resulting entry yourself. An exception to the set up requirement is granted if the participant is physically incapable of setting up their equipment due to disability.

10. A given user can only win in the finals once every 3 months.

11. Deadline for submissions will be midnight at the end of the month. Semi-Finals (forum) voting takes place from the 5th through the 8th the following month. The winners will move on to the finalist poll, which will be posted in the Astro Imaging/Sketching Contest forum no later than the 10th, and the finalist voting takes place from the 10th through the 15th. Finally, the winners image will be posted to the front page of the site as soon as possible after the conclusion of the poll.

#2 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

So should the images be from August or can they be from July?

#3 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

So should the images be from August or can they be from July?

Either will be fine. The image simply has to be visible within the same season of the contest. ;)

#4 Dxer

Dxer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

Greetings.  I would like to submit a picture to the contest.  From what I gather, I post the picture here in this thread?  

Sorry, I am new to the forums here and to the hobby.  

Thanks in advanced.  :)

#5 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

Greetings.  I would like to submit a picture to the contest.  From what I gather, I post the picture here in this thread?  

Sorry, I am new to the forums here and to the hobby.  

Thanks in advanced.   :)

Yes, right here along with the appropriate information regarding the image as described in the rules above. :)

#6 Dxer

Dxer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:49 PM

My entry for the August contest.

M31

M31 shot on 8-1-2016  at around 1:30am
Telescope:  C6-N
Mount: AVX
Camera info:  Nikon D7000   ISO:400
Exposures:  11 x 120sec subs    with 5 darks.
Prime Focus
Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed in Light Room

I am quite new to the hobby and this is one of my first reasonably successful sessions.  I was quite happy with the results and wanted to share and any C&C is most welcome.

I chose M31 because it is quite large making it the logical first object to photograph.  Using an unguided scope, I took an hours worth of 2 minute exposures.  Sadly I had to ditch 19 of them due to minor star trails.  The 11 I kept for this photo looked pretty good.

I am a complete newbie and any suggestions is greatly appreciated.  I hope you enjoy the photo.   :)

#7 amit_m80

amit_m80

Lift Off

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

This was taken at recent NEAF SSP in Plainfield, MA on 4th August 2016 around 2:20am

M31

Exposures: Single sub of 600 seconds

Autoguider: Orion SSAutoguider

Imaging Camera: Canon 600D (T3i) Mod

Focal Reducer/Field Flattener: Astrotech .8x

Mount: Sirius EQ

Telescope: William Optics 102GT

Software: EQ Mod, Backyard EOS, PHD2, Photoshop CC 2014

Thanks for Looking !

Amit Mujumdar

Attached Thumbnails

• M31_3 copy.jpg

Edited by Erix, 21 August 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#8 mikewayne3

mikewayne3

Vanguard

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:31 PM

M31

this is 80 - 2 min subs

unmodified canon SX

imaging scope AT72ED piggie backed on Celestron CG5-ASGT mount

Celestron 6"Newt. as guide scope

Meade DSI for guide camera

BYEOS capture SW

PHD guide SW

Imaged on Aug 67th from aprox. 12:30am PST till aprox. 3:15am PST

At SDAA's dark site Tierra Del Sol, San Diego CA

calibrated and combined in Maxim DL

processed in Photoshop CS2

Attached Thumbnails

• new-M31.jpg

Edited by Erix, 21 August 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#9 RRod

RRod

Ranger 4

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

Heart and soul nebula low.jpg Hello

Here is my picture for the month of August:

The heart, Soul nebulas  and Perseus Double Cluster.

Taken: 8/12-8/13

Approximated time: 11:00 PM Central time starting on 8/12/16

Integration time 4h RGB and 4h Ha. Subs: 6min ISO 800 for RGB and 15min 1600 for Ha

Camera: Canon Mod Xsi and Canon Mod T2i

Lens: Canon 70-200m F/4 at 90mm F/5.6 and Canon 24-105mm at 90mm F/5.6

Mount: Losmandy G11

Software:

Image capture: EOS Backyard

Guiding: PHD II

Processing:

Registering, stacking and calibration: DSS

Post processing: Adobe PS3 with Carboni tools, Gradient Terminator

#10 Samdbarbersdb

Samdbarbersdb

Mariner 2

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

North American Nebula

Capture:

July 1, 2, and 6, 2016 - July 1 and 2 times started around 3 am, from Ft. Davis, TX. July 6 time started at 10:15 pm, from Ft. Worth, TX
Ha - 4hrs, 300s, ISO 400, F/3.5
RGB - 2hrs, 180s, ISO 400, F/3.5

Gear:
Canon 200mm F/2.8L
Canon T3i (Unmodified)
Astronomik 12nm Ha clip filter
Astronomik CLS CCD clip filter
iOptron ZEQ25gt
Orion SSAG
PS, DSS, Carboni's Tools, Gradient Xterminator, PHD, PS

Thanks for looking!

Full size image here: https://www.flickr.c...tream/lightbox/

Attached Thumbnails

• 27955197154_4fd8545951_zmeed.jpg

#11 cas

cas

Lift Off

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

Here is my entry: The North America Nebula

Nikon 300mm 2.8 ED-IF, set at f/4, ISO 1600,  on a Pentax K-5

ASGT mount guided with an SW100ED + ASI120MC camera, using PHD2

light 6x600s

dark 6x600s

30 flats

30 bias

Post-processed using DSS and StarTools basic workflow.

Date: 8/23/16, Texas

CAS

Attached Thumbnails

• NAN1.JPG

#12 cas

cas

Lift Off

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

I just realized I should have not posted my picture intermediately after Mr. Barbers'   :bow:

#13 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

My shot from the Perseid shower earlier this month (8/12/16):

28482127383_dcd891be55_c.jpg

Nikon D600 and Rokinon 24mm f1.4 lens on an Sky Watcher Star Adventurer mount as well as a Nikon D7000 and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens on an iOptron Skytracker.

125 shots of the sky, a mix of 10 second and 15 second shots with the D600 at f1.4 and ISO 1600 as well as 30 second shots with the D7000 at f2.8 and ISO 1600. 

6 shots of the foreground were used, each 45 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 1600. 

Stitching done with PTGui, stacking and post processing in Photoshop and Lightroom. 

Edited by Erix, 01 September 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#14 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for participating! I'll have the poll up in a few days. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics