•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pelican Air Case as a Telescope Case

accessories equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

I've recently bought & configured a new Pelican Air  case for my 5-inch refractor (Astro-Physics 130 EDF Gran Turismo) .

The original Astro-Physics case that came with the scope was fine for storage, but a bit unwieldily
for transport.  The case was 3-feet long with no wheels, and I never did feel comfortable
carrying my telescope around in it.  Also, the rings & plates would not fit in the case, so
those had to be carried separately. So, I've been on a lookout for a new case.

The features I was looking for in a telescope case include:

* Padded protection & waterproof
* Wheels & easily transportable to my backyard or to the field
* Enough room to fit the telescope with rings & dovetails attached.
* Extra storage room for accessories, but not too large overall
* Relatively lightweight

I did have a preference for Pelican cases since my Mach 1 & accessories is stored in 2 wheeled Pelican
cases, and I really like them. I've looked at a number of Pelican & Storm cases, and didn't really find
one that was the correct size for my telescope. There were a few candidates, but the cases I've looked
at were either too long or too wide.  The foam options I was considering were either pick-n-pluck foam or a
customized foam layout from http://www.mycasebuilder.com/.  But, once the foam layout is selected,
I'd be stuck with it, and would have preferred something that was more configurable.

Then I stumbled across a new Pelican case line released this past spring called the "Pelican Air".
The new line came in 6 sizes. and the largest size, the Pelican Air 1615, looked like it would
fit my refractor, with extra room for accessories.  It had wheels and weighed only 14 pounds (empty).
Also, there was a Trekpak option which had me intrigued since it allowed for a configurable layout.

So, after a few months, I took the plunge and bought the Pelican Air 1615 with Trekpak.  I changed
out the original black handles & latches with orange ones. I also added extra foam padding
around the telescope. Here's the result.

Attached Thumbnails

• p12a.jpg

Edited by Rocket Ron, 06 August 2016 - 01:03 PM.

• Stu_Travelbee, sparrowhawk, t.r. and 6 others like this

#2 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

Here are the specs of the Pelican Air 1615 case, along with a couple of photos of when I first received it.

Exterior (L x W x D)

32.58" x 18.40" x 11.02"

Interior (L x W x D)

29.59" x 15.50" x 9.38"

Weight

14 pounds (empty)

17 pounds (with TrekPak)

Attached Thumbnails

• p01a.jpg
  • p06a.jpg

• Stu_Travelbee likes this

#3 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

The TrekPak option includes foam for the top and bottom, the inserts walls, and a cutter for the inserts.  My first insert I cut for the full length of the case.

Here's are photos of my first fit tests with the case and  TrekPak.

Photo 1: 5-inch refractor

Photo 2: 5-inch refractor + Traveler 105mm!(they both fit!)

Photo 3: Nova Hitch mount just barely fit in the case

Attached Thumbnails

• p02a.jpg
  • p09a.jpg
  • p08a.jpg

• Stu_Travelbee likes this

#4 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Here are the accessories I currently have in the case.  The area in lower right (with the plastic envelope) is unused space, and I probably

will add a few more eyepieces and silica gel there.   The beauty of the Trekpak system is that it's totally configurable and I can move the

inserts around as needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• p13a.jpg
  • p14a.jpg

• Stu_Travelbee, t.r., AZStarGuy and 1 other like this

#5 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

I appreciate the heads-up on this!  I'll have to look into it for a few items myself.

#6 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

I'm already re-configuring the case a little.  I added a finderscope and a desiccant with slica beads.  I moved over one compartment so the desiccant can fit facing up. 

The Trekpak inserts for this case are 6-inches high, and I found I can stack some of the items using foam inserts in between as padding.  The finderscope was the

same length as my slider bars, so it fit in that slot.

I still have extra room, and will probably put a few eyepieces in it.   

I also weighed the case with everything in it:  54.5 pounds. 

Updated photos of the accessory layout. 

Attached Thumbnails

• p19a.jpg
  • p20a.jpg

• gozer likes this

#7 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

wow!  You certainly fit a lot of stuff in there, good job.   Question - what's up with the Bondhus wrenches in the red case?  Are they different than the usual yellow ones?

Edited by Scott99, 07 August 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#8 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

The red one is for metric wrenches, the yellow one is inches.

#9 Spacedout

Spacedout

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Annapolis, MD

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

Wow, that's a beauty.  I've got a GTX and a Traveler too, so I feel like I'm looking at my own equipment in the case already, right down to the two wrench sets.  How did you come by the orange handles and latches?  They look really snazzy.

#10 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

I'd like to see more detail on how you designed your handle. I have a heavy, unwieldy TEC160ED that really, really needs a handle on the tube rings to help me put it onto my AP900 mounting, but I haven't yet figured out how to make it work. I have the std. TEC rings with TEC dovetail plate on top. Could you show a couple more pictures? I know it's a lot of trouble, but thanks in advance if you could manage to do it.

#11 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

I'd like to see more detail on how you designed your handle. I have a heavy, unwieldy TEC160ED that really, really needs a handle on the tube rings to help me put it onto my AP900 mounting, but I haven't yet figured out how to make it work. I have the std. TEC rings with TEC dovetail plate on top. Could you show a couple more pictures? I know it's a lot of trouble, but thanks in advance if you could manage to do it.

Ah, the handle is safety handle used for children's playground equipment.  I just simply screwed it onto a slider that fit on the accessory plate on top of the scope.  More details about it in this thread:

http://www.cloudynig...ics-telescopes/

#12 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

Wow!  Someone at Pelican did the math.

It matches exactly the 62" (linear) airline baggage size limit. Down to the hundreds...

Enjoy and Clear Skies!

--Dom

#13 Rocket Ron

Rocket Ron

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

I agree...I don't intend to use this case for airline travel. The GT was designed to break down into 3 parts for carry-on, but that would require a different case. 

• razor likes this

#14 range88

range88

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

I bought the 1615 for my binoscope. Indeed very light, truly as tough? 

As far as I can see the walls are rather thin and easy to bend over.

DSC02897.JPG

Edited by range88, 21 September 2016 - 09:47 AM.

• AZStarGuy, BCNGreyCat, BinoGuy and 1 other like this

#15 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

Hey, Rocket Ron, so now that you're 8 months down the road with your new case, how do you like it and how is it holding up?  It looks like the perfect accessory and I would love to hear your thoughts now, before I take the plunge myself!  Thanks!

#16 JohnAkai

JohnAkai

Ranger 4

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

Pelican Air cases rule! I just got back from Chile and my equipment survived. I did hand carry my TakFC76D objective, but the rest was wrapped in clothes. The case took a beating. No problems, especially with the 7x35 binos.

• John Gauvreau and AZStarGuy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics