•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 206 in M31

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

This is a fascinating topic. I don't do a lot of visual preferring to image. I captured M31 last night on my 11" RASA and can clearly see clumps of stars in the NGC 206 cluster. I perhaps would need more subs to see if I've resolved individual stars but either way its a fantastic observation to know that we are looking at the stars in a different galaxy that make up the aliens local sky constellations.

#52 PowerM3

PowerM3

Ranger 4

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

NGC 206 has been a fascinating object for me and a group of friends this fall. This is the first season that I have intentionaly observed it visualy with my 16" Dob. It does show some structure. On one night at a star party me and a few where checking it out with a 15" dob. It was as clear as day to us all and we could see the basic structure of it and the unevenness in the brightness. We did not try for individaual stars as at the time I did not know that it was possible! Next time I'm out under a dark sky I will give it a shoot for sure.

Attached is an image of m33 that I took with an FLT-110(TEC). In there in an insert of an EAA stack of NGC 206 taken with 12" ACF. This was kind of my follow up on the visual success:) 

Attached Thumbnails

• m33-WO-TEC110-3hrs NGC604.jpg

• timokarhula likes this

#53 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Forres, NE Scotland, UK

Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:11 AM

Just to clarify:

NGC206 is the star cloud in Andromega Galaxy M31.

While NGC604 is the HII region in Triangulum Pinwheel Galaxy M33.

With my 10", NGC206 is a slightly faint granular glow easily seen with dark skies in M31, which with high power reveals some very faint mag16+ stars. M31 is a fabulous object even if conditions are less than good.

I haven't paid much attention to NGC604 yet. But it is a bright small object in M33 (whilst the galaxy is always faint and requires darker skies you can get). I am curious to see if I can spot details with high power. Using a UHC filter makes the nebula sharper and more defined.

#54 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

I haven't paid much attention to NGC604 yet. But it is a bright small object in M33 (whilst the galaxy is always faint and requires darker skies you can get). I am curious to see if I can spot details with high power. Using a UHC filter makes the nebula sharper and more defined.

Even in my 6" ED refractor NGC 604 shows some interesting details. I can see two or three condensations in it, plus faint loops or extensions around the brighter parts. 

By comparison, NGC 206 is just a faint glow. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Asbytec likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics