•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon 180mm 2.8 ED: lens collar?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:18 AM

Hi everyone

I purchased one of the old 180mm ED lens.   It is quite a heavy lens and I would prefer not using the attachment under the camera.   I was wondering if someone was using an aftermarket lens collar with this lens  and if it the case, which one?    

thank you and dark skies

Stephan

#2 Carl N

Carl N

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

Google RRS, Really Right Stuff.

#3 whwang

whwang

Gemini

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

This is what I do to my Sigma 180/2.8.  You may try something similar, just get a guide-scope ring of the right size and a dovetail plate.  The Nikon 180/2.8 doesn't have a tripod connector.  So you will need to connect the camera to the other side of the plate.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

11082178_915595851805244_3561551194755238399_o.jpg

• piaras and tkottary like this

#4 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

There are no collars for the old 180mm Nikkors.

This is what you have to do: ADM 100mm rings. 

The rear rings mount onto the thin silver metal area at the rear of the lens, the only part that you can use.

The front rings mount onto the part of the lens that moves when you focus, just behind the lens shade.  You will have to loosen this ring a little bit when you focus and then tighten it down.

When you loose the front ring, the lens is only held by the rear ring, and it is a little precarious, so don't loosen the front ring so much that the lens can fall out. Just loosen it a little bit and the lens shade will catch it if if slips out of the rear rings.

You should also consider running a loop of fishing line between the camera strap eyelets and the rings as an additional safety measure.

I don't know of any other way to mount the Nikon 180mm.

Jerry

Attached Thumbnails

• Nikkor180mmRings.JPG

• piaras and Michael Covington like this

#5 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

I also use a camera mount to secure the camera body to the dovetail. More secure IMO

#6 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

I also use a camera mount to secure the camera body to the dovetail. More secure IMO

You can't shoot with the camera vertical with the body mounted to the dovetail.

And vertical is what you need to get the long side parallel to Right Ascension.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 13 August 2016 - 12:01 AM.

#7 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:15 AM

You can't shoot with the camera vertical with the body mounted to the dovetail.

And vertical is what you need to get the long side parallel to Right Ascension.

Jerry

that makes no sense....but, hey...whatever you say :smirk:

Edited by terry59, 13 August 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#8 WarrenS

WarrenS

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County New York

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

Think of rotating the camera 90 degrees while in place, that's what Jerry was referring too.

#9 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

Scope Stuff sells this Finder Bracket that is similar to Jerry's setup...ring distance is perfect, and less expensive than the ADM option...works Great!!

DSC00474.JPG

DSC00475.JPG

DSC00476.JPG

#10 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Scope Stuff sells this Finder Bracket that is similar to Jerry's setup...ring distance is perfect, and less expensive than the ADM option...works Great!!

attachicon.gifDSC00474.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00475.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00476.JPG

Great!  I'll look into this.

thank you all !!

Stephan

#11 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

It looks like that bracket only has a single mounting point.

That's not a good idea as the lens can pivot around it.

You should drill another hole for it so that are two mounting points.

Jerry

#12 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

All the two-point mounting solutions are nice as they prevent any potential differential flexure.

My brick-and-mortar camera shop hooked me up with this Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Len support

which is a plate with a riser quick-release mount for the camera at one end, and a half-collar and strap for the other end (Length of entire plate adjustable).

Plate has 1/4 and 3/8 holes in the bottom of the plate across to mount to a dovetail given the balance point.

I use a plastic wiretie to snug it in on the collar rest.

large-lens-mount.jpg

$67 at bhphotovideo for example.

https://www.bhphotov...ns_Support.html

Can handle many types of large lenses.

disadvantage is due to the camera mount, you cannot rotate camera to frame the shot on a EQ mount.

EDIT:

per request I have included a photo of the bottom.

The quick release plate to attach to the camera (sold separately-the usual one for Manfrotto heads) comes with a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter so the bigger holes can be used as a smaller 1/4 as well!

large lens mount under.jpg

Edited by t_image, 14 August 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#13 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

It looks like that bracket only has a single mounting point.

That's not a good idea as the lens can pivot around it.

You should drill another hole for it so that are two mounting points.

Jerry

I use it on a pretty stout ball head, or directly attached to a camera bar assembly mounted on the mount. The ball head holds it fine, & it can be swiveled/positioned to select a target...makes framing easier...haven't had it move on me yet...but as you have pointed out, I may someday...just have to make sure the attachment is tight & just not "snug"..

#14 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

I would hold off getting anything for a few days. ADM has a new solution for mounting the Nikkor 180 and many other lenses. I've seen the prototype and it works beautifully, allowing rotation of the camera and lens for framing purposes.  Anthony will have pictures of the new mount shortly.

Mike

#15 JukkaP

JukkaP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

I made yesterday a prototype mounting for this lens. I used plastic pipe that i had in storage. Drilled 3 holes to the plastic and made thread for securing the lens whit bolts. Thats like guide scope holder, but from plastic. I have doubts how firm the plastic pipe is. But this experiment did not cost anything but little time. It seems quite firm, but lets see how it acts under the stars. I will post pictures, after i make cleaner version =)...

#16 adavoli

adavoli

Vendor (ADM Accessories)

• Vendors
  • Loc: NY

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

Thank you for giving me the kick in the pants that I needed to get this project off the drawing board.  Several months ago I made a prototype Large Lens Holder for a member of our club.  It utilized a Custom Brackets PRO-SV 90 degree camera holder and a 100mm adjustable ring.   I really liked the concept since it did two things really well.  1.  It held heavy lenses very securely and 2. allowed the photographer to be able to adjust the angle of the camera to properly frame the subject.  I wasn't completely satisfied with the prototype since I had to drill and tap into the back of the bracket.  The bracket secures the camera very well in Landscape and Portrait mode but is very flimsy in between.  Instead of drilling and tapping the PRO-SV bracket I decided to make a clamp that fit onto the arm of the PRO-SV. It works amazingly well and I am very satisfied with the design.   I have several of these Custom Brackets PRO-SV camera holders available.  I originally came up with this idea when I found a lot of them for sale on E-Bay.  They are in very good used condition but the non-stainless steel bolts do show light signs of rust.  I will be able to offer the entire camera kit for less than the price of the PRO-SV itself.  I am attaching several images of the design.  The basic camera kit will include the PRO-SV camera mount, 100mm adjustable ring, 2.5" riser bar and PRO-SV locking clamp.  I have about two dozen of the PRO-SV heads and will only offer this product until these are gone.  Here are some of the highlights: 

1.  Can be attached a Losmandy/Vixen style universal plate which can slide into your mount. 
2.  Can be attached to a  Losmandy/Vixen style clamp which can be attached to a male dovetail bar on the top of the OTA.
3.  Can be used with any three point adjustable ring, 75mm,90mm,100mm,125mm,150mm or 175mm.  
4.  Can be used with a variety of large camera lenses by adjusting the ring size and spacer.  
5.  Holds heavy lenses very securely
6.  Camera can be rotated up to 90 degrees for properly framing subjects.

I will work on putting together a web page with ordering information.  I still have to figure out a way to include ordering options for all of the different parts that can be added to customize it for different lenses. The standard kit will work with the Nikon 180mm f/2.8 lens.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9696.JPG
  • IMG_9698.JPG
  • IMG_9699.JPG

• cherokawa, pedxing, Michael Covington and 1 other like this

#17 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

Hi Anthony,

Awesome!

Adorama is selling the Custom Brackets PRO-SV brackets for $145 and $50 for the camera mounting plate, so roughly $200.

You're going to be selling the whole thing for less than that?

Will you keep selling them with new brackets at a higher price after you well out of the ones you bought on Ebay?

Jerry

#18 JukkaP

JukkaP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

20160827_202602_zpskudrhr19.jpg

20160827_201053_zpsdrlwz3xw.jpg

Here is my self made versio whit screw focuser. Was easy to make and feels solid. No rotation option though. Need to unscrew one of first bolt's and rotate then. Under the second row of bolt's is teflon surfice secured to lens body. Teflon lets you focus also. There is only small movement to find infinity focus point.

#19 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:59 AM

The "screw focus" thing is an interesting idea/concept....

#20 JukkaP

JukkaP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:16 AM

Atleast the older versio of this lens can be bit tricky to get perfect focus and maintain it. This help's alot. I did include hole where i can focus it whit hand if the "screw focus" dont work on winter or there is some other problem. I must add that this is not tested to be perfect solution, but its allmost free to make and you can make it whit basic tools. I have high hopes.

The mounting to my ap rig is still questionmark. I have free space on my findershoe hole, but I'am bit worried that it wount hold the lens+cooled dslr. Combinated weight is about 1.6kg.

About this lens, i did small modification to it and included ir filter to the back of the lens. I had 2" ir filter what I took to local window maker shop and they cutted it right size. Now i can shoot whit full spectrum dslr, whitout ir blurring my image :).

#21 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:54 AM

Antony - I was just on your web site looking for this device. I was going to follow Jerry's plan having already been happy with your larger rings supporting the 200-500, but getting some smaller ones for my 180 that arrived today. Then I saw your photos. But I cannot see this device under your various dovetail camera mount options. Am I being dim about where it is or did you drop it in the end?

• Michael Covington likes this

#22 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

I would also like to know whether this product came out.  I'm currently using Jerry's method.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics