•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fake Fujinon FMT-SX 10X70 binoculars sold on eBay?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:20 AM

Outwardly, by the prism cover caps and objectives it appears to be BA8 origin, not MS that incorporates the Smyth lens FF assy.  I don't have a clue about the veracity of the labeling...

#52 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:50 AM

..........  I don't have a clue about the veracity of the labeling...

confused1.gif  At first  puzzled when I misread „voracity“ ..... now relieved you didn‘t write that .... lol.gif

• Rich V. likes this

#53 RSPN

RSPN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

SMark & Rich,

Reply I received back was that it was made to fulfill a government contract as a special order so there are no additional parts available/there was no warranty on the item, that it doesn't use the same glass as the Polaris series, that the rubber armor is for ease of use in inclement weather, and that all the visual specifications should be the same in terms of field of view (nevermind 5.0 vs 5.18?) and magnification.

So, AFAIK and from what I've received, these are legitimate Fujinon FMT-SX 10x70 binos that use a different glass as the polaris series and have rubber armor. Wouldn't know more than that without cutting them in half or looking up now-defunct build specifications.

-RSPN

• Foss likes this

#54 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

I've got to say that's an interesting story. I'm amazed Fujinon even responded to you at all; I tried to contact them several times back when my FMTs were new regarding their threaded filters and never got any response at all.  They gave the clear impression they didn't care a bit about customer service back then.   tongue2.gif

It's likely that Fuji has a relationship with KUO regarding some of their other optical lines, anyhow.  KUO has a huge presence in the bino business these days, supplying many vendors.  It's just the FMT nomenclature that's confusing to some of us.  IMO, if it's not the Japanese Polaris bino, it's not really an FMT regardless of what they're calling this limited production bino.  Nothing against the KUO sourced binos; I have a 16x70 APM MS ED and I actually much prefer using it over my Fuji 16x70 FMT.  The FMT is a high quality bino that's clearly built to last but the KUO MS binos have a more modern design with superior eye relief and equal or better field flatness.

Here's my experience comparing KUO and Fujinon 16x70s:

https://www.cloudyni...mt-and-lunt-ms/

Rich

#55 RSPN

RSPN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:09 PM

Rich,

Continuously emailing did me wonders, but it only took a few tries. I didn't get all the information I would've liked, but that the guy took the time to respond to some random person asking about not even in production binos who isn't actually going to buy anything was good enough for me. Since they were a government contract specially ordered, years old, and no longer in production, I knew I wouldn't get much, but was happy to know they are legitimate. I understand the sentiments regarding the FMT status. I assume that these government contracted ones are military in purpose and are built to last like the FMT line, unknown why they didn't go with the Polaris lenses but I doubt I'll get anything further on them.

-RSPN

#56 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

SMark & Rich,

Reply I received back was that it was made to fulfill a government contract as a special order so there are no additional parts available/there was no warranty on the item, that it doesn't use the same glass as the Polaris series, that the rubber armor is for ease of use in inclement weather, and that all the visual specifications should be the same in terms of field of view (nevermind 5.0 vs 5.18?) and magnification.

So, AFAIK and from what I've received, these are legitimate Fujinon FMT-SX 10x70 binos that use a different glass as the polaris series and have rubber armor. Wouldn't know more than that without cutting them in half or looking up now-defunct build specifications.

-RSPN

Well, as Rich indicates above and as Cory Suddarth demonstrates below, Fujinon has cheapened their namesake doing such a thing. I still find it very hard to imagine them doing something like this. But, it is what it is...

----(snip)----

Mark,

Gone are the well fitted eccentric rings! These new Fujinons went with the same collimation method found years ago on the Garrett Signature Series, Orion Resolux, and the Oberwerk Ultra. No doubt, another cost savings measure.

Cory Suddarth
SuddarthOpticalRepair
Servicing Binoculars Since 1975

----(snip)----

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3213.JPG
  • IMG_3214.JPG
  • IMG_3215.JPG

#57 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

Well, at least the made in Japan "genuine FMT"  5° 18' FOV 10x70 with eccentric lens cells is still available from Fuji.

Buyers must be aware that some "FMTs" made by KUO for Fuji are out there apparently, though, so shouldn't pay real FMT prices for a different model that's called the same.  Consider a KUO MS or BA8 model as an alternative if you want a less expensive binocular instead of the Japanese FMTs.

Rich

• Jon Isaacs, Cory Suddarth and SMark like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics